Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gears of War: The movie...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-21-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

New Line nabs 'Gears of War'
Studio wins rights to videogame
By DAVE MCNARY, DAVE MCNARY, DAVE MCNARY, BEN FRITZ

New Line has won feature rights to 'Gears of War.'

New Line has won feature rights to Microsoft and Epic Games' hugely popular vidgame "Gears of War," with Stuart Beattie penning the adaptation and Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey producing via their Temple Hill banner.
CAA conducted the auction, which featured a 21-page treatment by Beattie, who wrote "Collateral" and the upcoming "3:10 to Yuma" and "30 Days of Night."

Studio's deal is with Epic, the game's developer, which held onto all ancillary rights to the property when Microsoft signed on to publish the game. Though not announced yet, a sequel vidgame is assured. If development of both projects goes smoothly, New Line and Epic would surely love to see the film and a game sequel come out around the same time.

"Gears" has sold more than 3 million units and is the most popular game on Microsoft's Xbox Live service, which allows players to compete against each other online. Though released in November and available only for the Xbox 360 console, it quickly became the fourth-bestselling game of 2006 in the U.S. It won game of the year kudos at the Game Developers Choice Awards and the Interactive Achievement Awards.

Story, which is only modestly developed in the game, concerns a world reeling from an invasion by aliens known as the Locust. A small group of elite soldiers, including main character Marcus Fennix, who is rescued from prison at the beginning of the game, fight to retake the planet Sera for its surviving humans.

Epic developed an extensive backstory in hopes of utilizing it for a film as well as potential novels.

"We wanted to make an entertainment property that's not just for games but for other media," said Epic VP and co-founder Mark Rein.

"I'm not a gamer, but what blew me away about 'Gears' was how it captures the mythology of a war mission and how high the stakes are," Godfrey told Daily Variety.

Once Beattie's completed the script, Bowen and Godfrey will start looking for a director. They're aiming at a summer 2009 release.

"Gears" lead designer Cliff Bleszinski (known in gamer circles as CliffyB) will exec produce the film and consult on its development for Epic.

Game is Microsoft's most successful since "Halo," which had an ill-fated life in Hollywood. After developing a script itself, the software giant sold the project to Universal and Fox in 2005. Peter Jackson signed on to exec produce, and Neill Blomkamp to direct, but the project fell apart last fall after the studios balked at the final budget.

Numerous other hit game franchises are in development for feature adaptations, including "World of Warcraft" at Legendary, "Metal Gear Solid" at Sony and "Hitman," on which Fox is starting production March 29.

Many movies based on big game franchises, such as "Doom" and "Super Mario Bros.," have fared poorly with critics and auds. Rein said he and the Epic team considered that history carefully when mulling a movie deal.

"Our first and foremost philosophy is to do no harm, so we debated heavily the idea of doing a movie at all," he said. "But we feel we stacked the deck in our favor by working with the best players."

"Gears" is the third New Line project announced recently for Bowen and Godfrey. They're also producing "Dear John," an adaptation of Nicholas Sparks' bestseller, and crime actioner "Parcour" -- both with Channing Tatum attached to star.
Old 03-21-07, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pass. I like the game but I don't think we need a movie about it.
Old 03-21-07, 03:25 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Director Alfonso Cuaron, starring John Travolta as that guy with the bandana that i'm guessing is the main character.
Old 03-21-07, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's only a matter of time until Guitar Hero:The Movie
Old 03-21-07, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm sure they'll fuck it up but I'll check it out.
Old 03-21-07, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Paging Uwe Boll...
Old 03-21-07, 09:29 AM

I'd see it, and I'd probably be disappointed because you see, I've already PLAYED the movie. It seems to me it's going to be a while before big business figures out the new media and realizes that games are legitimate entertainment.
Old 03-21-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be up for a CGI animated movie (utilizing the original voice actors from the game)
Old 03-23-07, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has Newline dropped Halo in favor of GOW? I'll see both.
Old 03-23-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope they do this 300 style. I'd really like to see it made like Children of Men but I doubt they'd put up a budget for it.
Old 03-24-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by freshticles
It's only a matter of time until Guitar Hero:The Movie

Well, there is a doc out about air guitaring....it's close.
Old 03-24-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
Has Newline dropped Halo in favor of GOW? I'll see both.
Halo has been put on the backburner, possibly due to budget issues.
Old 03-24-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wouldn't mind seeing some backstory and history about Gears, since the game kind of picks up right away.
Old 05-03-07, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Script review

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1890
Old 05-03-07, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by gmal2003
Paging Uwe Boll...
You mean Paul Anderson
Old 05-03-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the game, but this will make a terrible movie.
Old 08-03-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Exclusive: Which Directors Will Get to Helm Gears of War and Escape from New York for New Line?
Written by Robert Sanchez
Thursday, 02 August 2007

Gears of War and the remake of Escape from New York are two hot properties over at New Line Cinema but the big question is which directors will get to play in that sand box?

The screenplay for Gears of War was written by Stuart Beattie and is slated for 2009 release. The screenplay for the remake of Escape from New York was written by Ken Nolan and is also slated for a 2009 release with Gerard Butler set to portray Snake Plissken.

Which directors will get to bring these two hot properties to the big screen?

Actually itís not two, but one director for both. It has been revealed to the IESB by a reliable studio insider that Len Wiseman is currently in talks for overall deal to develop and direct both Gears of War and Escape from New York for New Line Cinema.

Our calls to both studio and talent reps had not been returned at the time of this posting.
Old 08-04-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would like to see Len Wiseman do Gears of War.
Old 06-17-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Len Wiseman to direct 'Gears of War'
Chris Morgan will write the video game adaptation
By Borys Kit

June 16, 2008, 08:50 PM

"Gears of War"

New Line is putting "Gears of War" in motion, setting Len Wiseman to direct the video game adaptation being produced by Temple Hill's Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey.

Chris Morgan, who wrote the upcoming Universal tentpoles "Wanted" and "The Fast and the Furious 4," has been hired to write the screenplay. Wiseman and Morgan will develop the story treatment.

The movement on the project suggests that the reconfigured New Line won't be confined to horror, thrillers and low-budget comedies but will be able to tackle big-budget projects outside the scope initially ascribed to the Warner Bros. division.

"Gears," developed by Epic Games, became an instant success when it debuted on the Xbox 360 in November 2006. It became one of the most popular games on the Xbox Live service, overtaking "Halo 2," and sold more than 3 million units worldwide in its first 10 weeks. It received numerous awards, including Gamespot's Game of the Year and the Interactive Achievement Awards' Overall Game of the Year.

Set on the planet Sera, the game thrusts players into a battle for survival between humans and a race of creatures that surface from the bowels of the planet known as the Locust Horde. Players assume identities of soldiers on Delta Squad as they fight to save Sera's inhabitants.

Overseeing for New Line are Richard Brener, Walter Hamada and Dave Neustadter. Stuart Beattie was the original writer on the project.

Video game adaptations have proved a tricky art to master in Hollywood. Some movies have fallen apart because of creative and economic pressures ("Halo") or just not performed well at the boxoffice ("Doom").

Cliff Bleszinski, the "Gears" design director at Epic, said the tricks to adapting a game are simple: "Hollywood needs to take the source material seriously, win over the avid gamers and make it work for an audience that is young and old, male and female." But he also admitted that that plan is easier said than done.

"Disney made a great movie out of a theme park ride, and somebody is sooner or later going to make a great one out of a video game," Bleszinski said. "Having someone like Len really helps the odds. I think we're going to create something special here."

The ICM-repped Wiseman last directed "Live Free or Die Hard," which grossed about $135 million in the U.S., and was behind the vampire-werewolf "Underworld" franchise. Morgan is repped by ICM. The two wrote together on "Shell Game," a sci-fi project set up at Sony.
Old 06-17-08, 12:59 PM

I liked this movie better when it was called Starship Troopers.
Old 06-17-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
But this time we aren't the ones invading and keeping the galaxy "safe"
Old 06-17-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I keep playing back the scene in the Matrix, right before Switch gets unplugged - "Not like this, not like this"
Old 06-17-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by clemente
I keep playing back the scene in the Matrix, right before Switch gets unplugged - "Not like this, not like this"
Old 06-17-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho
Except Gears of War doesn't have Dina Meyer
Old 06-18-08, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Len Wiseman is quickly becoming the next Paul WS Anderson. A guy that gets handed the reigns to much anticipated projects that never live up to expectation.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.