Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gears of War: The movie...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gears of War: The movie...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Len Wiseman AND Chris Morgan? I'm out!
Old 06-18-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
If I was Len Wiseman, I'd give up on directing and focus all my energies on fucking the shit out of my wife.
Old 06-18-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by Thrush
Len Wiseman is quickly becoming the next Paul WS Anderson. A guy that gets handed the reigns to much anticipated projects that never live up to expectation.
I thought he did a good job on Live Free or Die Hard.
Old 06-18-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
I thought he did a good job on Live Free or Die Hard.
I think that's the only exception.

As for Escape From New York, I read somewhere Gerard Butler dropped out of that.
Old 06-18-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thrush
Len Wiseman is quickly becoming the next Paul WS Anderson. A guy that gets handed the reigns to much anticipated projects that never live up to expectation.
WTF? Wiseman has only done 3 flicks - two of which he had a hand in writing (both Underworld's) so it wasn't like he was handed the reigns on those...and with the exception of the rating fiasco, Live Free or Die Hard is generally considered a pretty big success. What other big projects has the guy blown? Paul WS Anderson has shit the bed on a few franchises and almost always fails to meet expectations...Wiseman on the other hand has a pretty solid track record IMO.
Old 06-18-08, 02:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
He was the prop boy on Stargate!
Old 06-18-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
He was the prop boy on Stargate!
Get a rope!!!
Old 06-21-08, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
WTF? Wiseman has only done 3 flicks - two of which he had a hand in writing (both Underworld's) so it wasn't like he was handed the reigns on those...and with the exception of the rating fiasco, Live Free or Die Hard is generally considered a pretty big success. What other big projects has the guy blown? Paul WS Anderson has shit the bed on a few franchises and almost always fails to meet expectations...Wiseman on the other hand has a pretty solid track record IMO.
I thought Underworld had a great premise but the film itself and the sequel are god awful. His Die Hard works as a generic action flick. But as a "Die Hard" its pretty meh, and easily the worst of the series. So no, 2 abysmal movies and one decent one is far from what I would call a "solid track record".
Old 06-22-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
If I was Len Wiseman, I'd give up on directing and focus all my energies on fucking the shit out of my wife.
Whose his wife?
Old 06-22-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Whose his wife?
Spoiler:

Old 04-14-09, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Gears of War: the movie...

^

I'm new to the Gears series and was wondering if there had been any updates to this. Has the script been finished? Anybody cast? Shooting?
Old 04-14-09, 08:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I hope the story is based on the third installment of the series. Gears of War 3: Killzone 2.
Old 04-14-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Considering theres only enough story in 1 and 2 to fill half a movie it'd pretty much have to be on everything Gears of War related.

These movies will be about the action and awesome set design, or at least, they better be.
Old 04-14-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read last year that the movie is going to be released when the Gears of War 3 is released. So we may be talking about summer 2011 or fall 2010.
Old 04-14-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love the first two underworld movies and thought he did a good job with Live Free Die Hard. Hes got a pretty good eye too, his films look great. Look at Underworld only cost around 20 million but it looks like a much bigger buget movie
Old 04-14-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kate Beckinsale is beyond beautiful, she is amazing.

The stench of this movie is reaching back through time to fill my nostrils from the future. 'Doom' will be a complex and subtle masterpiece compared to what this film will become.
Old 10-05-16, 09:52 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: Gears of War: The movie...

Microsoft’s “Gears of War” video game franchise is headed to the big screen.

The film adaptation, announced during a livestream for the upcoming release of “Gears of War 4,” is being developed with Universal Pictures under the eye of veteran film producers Scott Stuber (“Ted,” “The Kingdom”) and Dylan Clark (“Rise of the Planet of the Apes”). A movie based on the popular third-person shooter franchise has been rumored for years, but Rod Fergusson, studio head of game developer The Coalition, said now was the right time to make the leap to film.

“As a way to support the franchise the next logical step was to make the movie,” Fergusson told Variety. “We’d done comics and novels in the past but the opportunity to work with Universal to bring the movie to life was perfect.”

It’s unclear at this point whether the film will be a straight adaptation of the games, which originally followed soldier Marcus Fenix in his fight against an invading threat known as the Locust, or if it will be an all-new story set in the universe.

“I think you have to let the movies be the movies,” Fergusson said. “They’re two different mediums, and two different audiences in some cases, and I think some video game movies in the past have failed because they tried to make a movie for gamers. If you have this great IP with a deep backstory and lots of lore that you can make interesting stories out of it’s great, but if you just go after the gaming audience then it isn’t going to be a successful movie.

“That’s one of the great things about working with Universal,” he continued. “We’re finding that line where we can say it has enough lore and canon that it feels genuine to the game while at the same time going beyond that and asking ‘OK what makes a great movie?'”

You don’t have to wait until the film to jump back into the “Gears of War” universe. “Gears of War 4” will be released on Xbox One and Microsoft Windows on Oct. 11.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ge...al-1201879152/
Old 10-05-16, 10:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It'd have be to be big money of a production. And R. No fucking way this property can exist w/o the R rating. It's ingrained into the core of the concept practically.

Cuz... Chainsaw guns.
Old 10-06-16, 11:29 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

The key to this working is getting the tone and feel right. This needs to be a gritty sci fi war movie. This should be like the opening of Saving Private Ryan but with aliens and armor. The best scenes from the games were the small but intense battles and the suspenseful moments where you knew you were walking into a really bad situation. But they'll probably just make it into another overstuffed generic CGI action fest where hundreds of soldiers from both sides rush towards each other at once in a giant battle.
Old 10-06-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Might as well sign Dave Bautista as Marcus Fenix right now.
Old 10-06-16, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Nice! I can see it.

Old 10-06-16, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He has grown as an actor too. I thought he was awesome in Riddick. He did fine in Guardians of the Galaxy but he stepped up his acting chops in Riddick for sure from whatever his last flick was.

Dom. That'll be the important one of the supporting cast for sure.

Whoever they get to play Carmine should have them play.. EVERY brother.
Old 10-06-16, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Old 10-06-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Emily Blunt as Anya

Old 05-03-17, 07:11 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures has set Shane Salerno to write the screenplay for Gears Of War, the big-scale live-action adaptation of Microsoft Studios’ iconic Xbox video game franchise. Universal-based Dylan Clark is producing.

Universal and Microsoft announced their collaboration on the game in late 2016. At the time, Rod Fergusson, head of Microsoft subsidiary The Coalition that develops new Gears Of War content and the franchise co-creator, said the film would not be based on any particular game but instead be a new story set in the universe. That universe is the fictional planet of Sera, where a squad of beefed-up commandos living in a bombed-out postapocalyptic society battle swarms of alien creatures called Locusts.

The first game, developed by Epic and released in 2006, has spawned sequels that have put the game series at north of $1 billion in grosses. It is considered one of the most iconic video game success stories that defined the first generation of HD gaming and is played by more than 45 million gamers worldwide. Microsoft acquired the franchise in 2014, when co-creator Fergusson returned to lead The Coalition, the Microsoft development studio focused exclusively on Gears Of War.

Salerno’s current writing credits include the four sequels to Avatar for director James Cameron, which begin shooting in August, as well as writing and producing The Cartel for Ridley Scott to direct at 20th Century Fox, based on the bestselling Don Winslow novel. That film is eyeing a tentative January production start. His other credits include the Michael Bay-directed Armageddon and the Oliver Stone-directed Savages.

Gears Of War Ultimate Edition was released for Xbox One and Windows 10 in late 2015. Per Microsoft, it has seen more 3 million players since then, with more than half new to the franchise. Gears of War 4 launched October 11 as Microsoft’s holiday tentpole release for Xbox One and Windows 10.

Universal EVP Production Jon Mone is overseeing for Universal and SVP Jay Ireland will oversee for Clark. Marc Sachnoff will oversee the project for Xbox. Salerno is represented by CAA and Sloane Offer.
http://deadline.com/2017/05/gears-of...rk-1202083159/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.