DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Leaked footage of David O. Russell throwing major tantrum on set of "Huckabees" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/495807-leaked-footage-david-o-russell-throwing-major-tantrum-set-huckabees.html)

vegasbaby 03-22-07 11:59 AM

It makes sense, since Russell doesnt make movies that often. He's a nut.

Those poor PA's. They're the ones that really take shit and they dont even get paid !

Jackson_Browne 03-22-07 12:10 PM

I don't see why everyone is so hard on Russell here. If the two clips in the original video happen in the order that they are presented, then Russell's rant looks like a reaction to Tomlin's original rant. Tomlin's behavior in this video, coupled with the footage of her in the car, makes her come across as the huge asshole. Russell may be hard to work with, but his anger seems more like frustration with Tomlin being such an asshole.

mijorico 03-22-07 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jackson_Browne
I don't see why everyone is so hard on Russell here. If the two clips in the original video happen in the order that they are presented, then Russell's rant looks like a reaction to Tomlin's original rant. Tomlin's behavior in this video, coupled with the footage of her in the car, makes her come across as the huge asshole. Russell may be hard to work with, but his anger seems more like frustration with Tomlin being such an asshole.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe it's ever appropriate for a director to call one of his performers a "****", even if she's being difficult. That's the mother of all derogatory terms for a woman.

Dealing with difficult actors comes with the territory. And apparently he doesn't deal with them very well.

She may have been a pain in the ass, but his main responsibility as director is to work with his actors and manage time wisely. Blowing up the way he did helps in neither area.

slop101 03-22-07 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mijorico
I'm sorry, but I don't believe it's ever appropriate for a director to call one of his performers a "****", even if she's being difficult. That's the mother of all derogatory terms for a woman.

Unless you're British - then it's a term or endearment.

Lt Ripley 03-22-07 02:09 PM

The truth hurts.
When the shoe fits...

mijorico 03-22-07 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
The truth hurts.
When the shoe fits...

You don't think calling her a "****" was maybe unnecessary?

I know we're talking about a film shoot, and we look at films as entertainment, but for them it's like their office. Can you imagine your boss speaking to one of his employees in that manner? It's unprofessional and it's uncalled for, no matter what she did. The director losing his cool only further disrupts the production, which means he isn't doing his job.

maxfisher 03-22-07 03:37 PM

She may have been a pain in the ass, but his main responsibility as director is to work with his actors and manage time wisely. Blowing up the way he did helps in neither area.

I think he looks like an ass in the video, but if you judge his methods by the end product, I'd say they worked. Making the best possible film is his true main responsibility, not working with actors or managing time wisely. Those are just typical means to the end.

Goldblum 03-22-07 03:42 PM

Excuse me, but please watch the clips again. Russell needs a straight jacket.

mijorico 03-22-07 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I think he looks like an ass in the video, but if you judge his methods by the end product, I'd say they worked. Making the best possible film is his true main responsibility, not working with actors or managing time wisely. Those are just typical means to the end.

I think you're downplaying the importance of the director's on-set responsibilities. That's like saying the screenwriter's responsibility is to turn in the best possible script, not work with words. The "means" are the job. The end result is the only reason people who act like Russell are given the means. And, personally, I'd disagree about his methods "working" in this instance. I wasn't a big fan of that movie.

Someone must think his methods "work", though. He sure isn't getting movies made based on his professionalism.

Lt Ripley 03-22-07 06:09 PM

You don't think calling her a "****" was maybe unnecessary?

I know we're talking about a film shoot, and we look at films as entertainment, but for them it's like their office. Can you imagine your boss speaking to one of his employees in that manner? It's unprofessional and it's uncalled for, no matter what she did. The director losing his cool only further disrupts the production, which means he isn't doing his job.

I don't know if I would have flat out called her a ****, but I would not have hesitated to tell her that she was acting like a ****. I also wouldn't have lost my cool and started throwing stuff. I detest whiny people. DETEST. Her acting like a whiny bitch is just as unprofessional as someone swearing in my opinion.

Ranger 03-22-07 11:12 PM

It sure isn't any better than an actress repeatly snapping at the people around her with the f-word.

I think they're both childish jerks with big egos.

brainee 03-22-07 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez

Good article. If Tomlin and the other people working on the movie are fine with it in the end, then I'll go with them. Sounds like Russell was going for some unconventional crazy-ass motivational techniques. I wouldn't want to work like that, but I guess filmmaking isn't exactly like an office job.

Ranger 03-22-07 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
I guess filmmaking isn't exactly like an office job.

On the contrary, I think it is very similar to what commonly goes on inside sports teams.

Tarantino 03-23-07 12:42 AM

First time I'd heard of these incidents.

Fucking hilarious.

= J

maingon 03-23-07 11:26 AM

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/03/22/...bees-outburst/

longer video

starseed1981 03-23-07 12:02 PM

Man.....makes you imagine what some of those James Cameron outbursts were like.

adamblast 03-23-07 01:22 PM

Tomlin had a brief interview yesterday in which she confirms that, after it all blew over, she and Russell became great friends again. She sounds kinda-mortified, but still laughing it off, that the videos have become a hit on the internet.

Tomlin reacts to leaked videos

Jackson_Browne 03-23-07 01:39 PM

I know we're talking about a film shoot, and we look at films as entertainment, but for them it's like their office. Can you imagine your boss speaking to one of his employees in that manner? It's unprofessional and it's uncalled for, no matter what she did.

I totally agree that was Russell did was completely uncalled for. In my first post, I was just trying to figure out why everyone was all over Russell and there was barely any talk of Tomlin acting like such a bitch. She comes across as equally rude as Russell, especially in the car video.

I can't imagine my boss speaking to an employee like Russell did, but can you imagine one of your fellow employees acting like Tomlin at the office right in front of your boss? Your coworker probably wouldn't be around any more after that incident - the boss would fire her ass - but Russell didn't have this kind of power. He was stuck working with a bitch.

mijorico 03-23-07 02:47 PM

I can't imagine my boss speaking to an employee like Russell did, but can you imagine one of your fellow employees acting like Tomlin at the office right in front of your boss? Your coworker probably wouldn't be around any more after that incident - the boss would fire her ass - but Russell didn't have this kind of power. He was stuck working with a bitch.

I agree that in the car clip her outburst didn't appear to be prompted. Maybe it was just the order in which I watched those clips, but I was assuming she behaved that way after Russell had already blown up at her. In which case, it's still childish and unprofessional on her part, but understandable considering the way he spoke to her.

I'm far from a Lily Tomlin fan. So I'm not trying to defend her. I just didn't see what she did in that first clip that would warrant such an outburst from Russell.

baracine 05-08-07 03:56 PM

I just watched those clips on youtube. I realize I'm late. I guess the truth of the matter is that David O. Russell is a spoiled, egocentric, narcissistic, abusive, borderline-psychotic personality who also happens to be a great artist and that other talented artists are inclined to tolerate and play sadomasochistic mind-games on-set with because - as Woody Allen put it in "Annie Hall" - "they need the eggs".

What I am interested to know is: what kind of culture/background/family history/drug addiction can create such an abusive personality and not put it in an institution? I realize the guy is only the male equivalent of the average spoiled upper-middle-class American princess-bridezilla/Paris Hilton-wannabee planning her wedding and being abusive to everyone but it is also known that the guy never had much power or money growing up, so what could have happened to make such an instant asshole out of him?

MoviePage 05-08-07 10:18 PM

Talented/creative people are very often temperamental, difficult, and/or depressive. Goes with the territory. Very few of the great artistic geniuses in history have been nice, fun people to be around. (Note: not claiming Russell is a genius, just saying...)

Numanoid 05-08-07 10:51 PM

I'm going to have to side with Russell on this one as well. Women in general love to push you as far as they can, and act completely insane, then when you finally react they stand astonished that you would act so outlandishly. :lol: These clips pretty much prove that Tomlin was pushing and pushing, and Russell simply had enough. I don't blame the guy one bit.

Seantn 05-08-07 11:26 PM

Since Russell has a history of this type of behavior, I can't side with him. I'd say they're both at fault for acting like spoiled brats.

Ranger 05-09-07 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I'm going to have to side with Russell on this one as well. Women in general love to push you as far as they can, and act completely insane, then when you finally react they stand astonished that you would act so outlandishly. :lol: These clips pretty much prove that Tomlin was pushing and pushing, and Russell simply had enough. I don't blame the guy one bit.

Come on, that's a silly thing to say about women. You must just have had some bad experience with women in general. :)

It's exactly like when some ball player is intentionally pissing off his coach, then the coach loses it and screams in frustration.

This was an ego war between two frustrated people. Nothing more than that.