Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Premonition - review

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Premonition - review

Old 03-18-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Premonition - review

I didn't see a thread dedicated to Premonition other then the Sandra Bullock thread so I thought I'd chime in with my 2.

This movie was given a 3 out of 10 by the local paper. ALthough I wouldn't give it extremely high marks it certainly wasn't as bad as they made it seem. It did jump back and forth in time, however I didn't find it difficult to keep track of what was going on. Sandra Bullock was in every scene but I'd watch her read the label on a tube of tooth paste. Not a bad twist at the end. Not a glowing review from me but not the dreck that some reviews made it out to be.

I give it a C+. After you see 300 which is a must see, Premonition was a nice 90 minutes.
Old 03-18-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I probably would have seen it but the beyond horrible reviews will keep me away. Every time I see clips it seems like it really can't be that bad but it has just gotten trashed by the reviewers.
Old 03-18-07, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I kept dozing off, so I can't say how good or bad it was, but I became pretty disinterested in it, and didn't like how it ended (played out kind of like a long extended twilight zone episode).
Old 03-19-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Extremely weak ending and quite a few chuckle inducing 'plot twists' and just ridiculous moments... The scene with the casket still makes me laugh it was so bad - and they flashed back to it at least twice! Just boring, predictable and so cliched, I felt like it should have been a lifetime women's movie of the week or something. I sat through Dead Silence and then this, back to back yesterday - one of the worst movie going days of my life.

MATT
Old 03-19-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I felt like it should have been a lifetime women's movie of the week or something.
Ha that's funny, the first place I saw the trailers was on Lifetime, and I kept thinking that's what it was.

Then again, I guess I do catch a Lifetime original movie from time to time, so maybe I'll check it out on DVD. It can't be as good as "Road Rage" though.
Old 03-19-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does this have any relation to the Japanese Horror film of the same name? That one dealt with a father who kept having to endure the death of either his daughter or his wife (depending on what he did) and he couldn't change the outcome to save them both. He also got warning of these impending tragedies via a haunted newspaper or some such nonsense. I know that's significantly different from this plot, but the title, along with the idea of time jumping and an inability to change outcome dispite knowledge of future events seems similar.

Doc
Old 07-21-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched Premonition last night with my wife (OK movie, not as bad as it was made out to be) and I noticed something odd.

There are two scenes in the movie (the only two scenes) that have Sandra smoking; once on the patio and once in the living room. In both scenes the cigarette and most of the hand are kept completely out of the frame. The actual cigarette is never shown. The only way you can tell she is smoking is by the wisps of smoke that enter the frame and the way she's holding her hand (also when she is in the living room you can see her arm "shake" as she stubs the cigarette out in an off screen ashtray).

This seems so odd. Why make her character a smoker and then never actually have her smoke? Why bother? Is this a case of the director (or whomever) bowing to anti-smoking Nazis after the fact, and trimming all of the smoking scenes out?
Old 07-21-07, 04:42 PM

I watched Premonition this week on Blu-ray. There is something about it I haven't been able to figure out. Am I missing something, or is this just a huge lapse of logic in the script?

Spoiler:
The way I see it, Bullock's character is living the days of the week out of order. Her husband is killed on a Wednesday. But, the first day we see in the movie is the Thursday when she finds out that he dies. The older of the two daughters does not have any scars from running through the glass door on that Thursday. Why not? The husband was still alive when the girl got her scars.
Old 07-21-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I pick up alot of "Bad" horror movies on DVD (ie. Dead Silence), but I didn't even bother with this one because it just looked so boring & I'm not a huge Sandra Bullock fan but I'll admit she is a decent actor.
Old 07-21-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
I watched Premonition this week on Blu-ray. There is something about it I haven't been able to figure out. Am I missing something, or is this just a huge lapse of logic in the script?

Spoiler:
The way I see it, Bullock's character is living the days of the week out of order. Her husband is killed on a Wednesday. But, the first day we see in the movie is the Thursday when she finds out that he dies. The older of the two daughters does not have any scars from running through the glass door on that Thursday. Why not? The husband was still alive when the girl got her scars.
Yeah, I thought that at first until (paradoxes aside) I realized she was changing things as she went along.
Spoiler:
Had she not been preoccupied by her "dreams" she wouldn't have left the laundry out in the rain, causing her daughter to run through the window. Had she not talked to her husband about him not being around he wouldn't have increased his insurance. etc.
Old 07-21-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this in the theatres with my girlfriend and could actually tolerate it. That is until the ending which was down right horrible.
Old 07-21-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I actually liked the ending, I thought they would go for the usual ending and make everything OK, I am glad they didn't. It was much better than the previews maded it out to be. B rating for me.
Old 07-22-07, 06:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
The ending wasn't as bad as I had feared. I'm a sucker for time travel sort of stories, so I found it quite tolerable. Not really good mind you, but not really all that bad. I'd give it a C-, and would have bought the DVD if any store had an exclusive bonus with it. I'll wait for the $5 bin or CH now.

Last edited by Trevor; 08-05-07 at 11:27 AM. Reason: change "of" to "or"
Old 07-22-07, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Yeah, I thought that at first until (paradoxes aside) I realized she was changing things as she went along.
Spoiler:
Had she not been preoccupied by her "dreams" she wouldn't have left the laundry out in the rain, causing her daughter to run through the window. Had she not talked to her husband about him not being around he wouldn't have increased his insurance. etc.
DeputyDave, you may be right. I would have to watch it again to really think about it, and I don't want to spend any more time with this movie than I already have. Thanks.