Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Across The Universe (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Across The Universe (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-07, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer for Across The Universe

This movie is looking (& sounding) pretty good.

http://acrosstheuniverse.com/
Old 03-18-07, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fascinating, had no idea anything like this was being made. I'm definitely excited!
Old 03-18-07, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Julie Taymore sells me a ticket upfront as much as any Fincher film.
Old 03-18-07, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm looking forward to this.
Old 03-18-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If anyone can move beyond the clichéd 1960's film, I hope it's her. Some scenes remind me of Michel Gondry.
Old 03-20-07, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Disconcerting news:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31955
Old 03-20-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To expand on the above post, an article today from New York Times:

LOS ANGELES, March 19 — In Hollywood creative differences among moviemakers often make for more interesting results on the screen. But rarely do those battles escalate so much that a studio takes a movie away from an award-winning director.
Skip to next paragraph

Such is the case — for the moment — with “Across the Universe,” a $45-million psychedelic love story set to the music of the Beatles, directed by Julie Taymor, the stage and screen talent whose innovative interpretation of the Disney animated film “The Lion King” is one of the most successful modern stage musicals.

After Ms. Taymor delivered the movie to Joe Roth, the film executive whose production company, Revolution Studios, based at Sony, is making the Beatles musical, he created his own version without her agreement. And last week Mr. Roth tested his cut of the film, which is about a half-hour shorter than Ms. Taymor’s 2-hour-8-minute version.

Mr. Roth’s moves have left Ms. Taymor feeling helpless and considering taking her name off the movie, according to an individual close to the movie who would not be named because of the sensitivity of the situation. Disavowing a film is the most radical step available to a director like Ms. Taymor, who does not have final cut, one that could embarrass the studio and hurt the movie’s chances for a successful release in September.

Ms. Taymor declined to be interviewed, but issued a carefully worded statement: “My creative team and I are extremely happy about our cut and the response to it,” she wrote. “Sometimes at this stage of the Hollywood process differences of opinion arise, but in order to protect the film, I am not getting into details at this time.”

Mr. Roth, a former Disney studio chief who proclaimed his ’60’s-influenced, artist-friendly ethos in 2000 by naming his new company Revolution Studios, is himself a director, of films like “Christmas With the Kranks,” “Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise” and “Freedomland.”

He said that Ms. Taymor was overreacting to a normal Hollywood process of testing different versions of a movie, something he has done many times before, including with Michael Mann’s “Last of the Mohicans.” He called his version of “Across the Universe” “an experiment.”

“She’s a brilliant director,” he said. “She’s made a brilliant movie. This process is not anything out of the ordinary. Her reaction through her representatives might be. But her orientation is stage. It’s different if you’re making a $12-million film, or a $45-million film. No one is uncomfortable in this process, other than Julie.”

And he warned that the conflict could hurt the movie. “If you work off her hysteria, that will do the film an injustice,” he said. “Nobody wants to do that. She’s worked long and hard, and made a wonderful movie.”

A spokesman for Sony Pictures Entertainment declined to comment, saying the project was developed by Revolution.

“Across the Universe” stars Evan Rachel Wood as Lucy, an American teenager, and Jim Sturgess as Jude, a British import, who fall in love during the turbulent 1960s. The movie, set to 35 Beatles songs, seems to spring from Ms. Taymor’s experimental sandbox, combining live action with painted and three-dimensional animation and puppets, and featuring cameos by Eddie Izzard, dressed as a freakish Mr. Kite; Bono, singing “I Am the Walrus”; and Joe Cocker, singing “Come Together.”

Ms. Taymor has been editing the film for the better part of the last year, after completing the shoot in 2005. An initial release date of September 2006 was pushed off.

Mr. Roth said he had been working with Ms. Taymor on and off during nine months of editing, and that the problem was merely one of length.

Under pressure from Mr. Roth and after test screenings, Ms. Taymor trimmed the film from an initial 2 hours 20 minutes. She told associates she considered the film finished.

Fights between visionary filmmakers and studios are nothing new. Orson Welles spent most of his career fighting with studios that took away his movies, editing options and even limited his film stock. And those fights commonly focus on the running times of movies, which, as critics have noted, seem to grow inexorably longer.

But it is rare for an executive to step in and cut the movie himself. Ms. Taymor was still making her own final edits to the film when she learned several weeks ago that Mr. Roth had edited another, shorter version. That version was tested last week in Arizona, to a younger audience than the more mixed test group than saw Ms. Taymor’s cut in Los Angeles on March 8, according to an individual close to the film.

Mr. Roth, who vowed never again to allow a director final cut after the disastrous 2003 Martin Brest movie “Gigli,” said that the various versions were testing well, but that he had a responsibility to find the most successful incarnation. “It’s ‘show’ and it’s ‘business,’ ” he said.

Ms. Taymor has been showered with numerous awards, including a MacArthur “genius” grant in 1991. The stage version of “The Lion King,” which currently has nine productions worldwide, is notable for Ms. Taymor’s unusual staging and the use of mechanical masks that make the actors seem like real animals. (Mr. Roth, who ran Disney at the time, admitted to having been skeptical about the masks but later told Ms. Taymor he’d been wrong.)

Ms. Taymor has had more mixed results in Hollywood. Her bloody Shakespeare adaptation, “Titus,” bombed at the box office, taking in just $1.9 million. “Frida,” in 2002, about the artist Frida Kahlo, was successful, winning two Oscars and a moderate financial windfall.

Mr. Roth said he believed that the current tensions would be worked out, and that Ms. Taymor would find the best, final version of the film somewhere between his own and her last cut.

But those in Ms. Taymor’s camp were more skeptical, saying the director was not inclined to make any more changes. Ms. Taymor herself struck a more conciliatory note in her statement: “I only hope that we will be able to complete the film we set out to make.”
Old 03-20-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm going to have to say that Taymor can probably do better than the guy that did Christmas with the Kranks, although now I see how that movie even got made.

Still, he's right: this is pretty common. Taymor's in a furor for no reason.
Old 03-20-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still, he's right: this is pretty common. Taymor's in a furor for no reason.
No reason? Maybe she's seen Christmas with the Kranks. Seriously, the guy is a horrid filmmaker, I wouldn't want him touching my film. Releasing it, fine.
Old 09-18-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has anyone seen this movie yet?
Old 09-18-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's expanding wider this weekend, I think 400 theaters. It did extremely well in limited release this past weekend.
Old 09-18-07, 05:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's at 49% at Rotten Tomatoes. Looks like this it a total love it or hate it film. All of the negative reviews echo all of my worst thoughts about it.
Old 09-18-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It is a love it or hate it sort of film. I loved it. I'm sure many will roll there eyes on a lot of what is in the film. But hey, it was generally good to see it.

Your mileage will vary.
Old 09-18-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My girls (near 7 and 3.5) love Moulin Rouge and The Beatles (1964 and even the Sgt. Pepper's Movie ). I really want to take them to see this, but I'm worried about the rating and content listed on IMDB.

I don't mind them seeing things, but I also like to know what they'll see before they see it. Is there graphic nudity or drug use? As I said, they like Moulin Rouge and we find that acceptable even full of whores, rape, and Absinthe - but that's all tasteful and over the head of a child. I don't want to explain a bunch of tits or LSD or anything quite yet.

Is it on par with something like MR content-wise is my basic question.
Old 09-18-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought this trailer looked like one big awful mess. I can't imagine that actually seeing the film would change my feelings either.

I just think this looks terrible. And the fact that they are raping Beatles songs does not help it any.
Old 09-18-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I just think this looks terrible. And the fact that they are raping Beatles songs does not help it any.
Wahhhh. They're raping The Beatles. Wahhhh. John Lennon and George Harrison are rolling around in their graves. Wahhhh.

The soundtrack for the film, the two-disc deluxe edition (which is currently only available either from Best Buy or iTunes), is fantastic. For what is essentially Beatles cover songs, they're damn well preformed and produced. It's not to the quality that the original Beatles are, but for what Taymor's intent is, the film's soundtrack should introduce the band to an entirely new generation.

However, the reviews are a bit concerning. The film is either having critics trash the living shit out of the film or praise it to high heaven. There seems to be little-to-no middle ground from the critics on the film. I'm hoping to God this is not the year's Rent in which it's a terrible film set to great music.

I won't know until next week when Vegas actually gets the film (there's not a single theater here showing it when it goes wide on Friday).
Old 09-18-07, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
My girls (near 7 and 3.5) love Moulin Rouge and The Beatles (1964 and even the Sgt. Pepper's Movie ). I really want to take them to see this, but I'm worried about the rating and content listed on IMDB.

I don't mind them seeing things, but I also like to know what they'll see before they see it. Is there graphic nudity or drug use? As I said, they like Moulin Rouge and we find that acceptable even full of whores, rape, and Absinthe - but that's all tasteful and over the head of a child. I don't want to explain a bunch of tits or LSD or anything quite yet.

Is it on par with something like MR content-wise is my basic question.
found this for you
http://screenit.com/movies/2007/acro..._universe.html
this lists the content in the movie in detail, keep in mind there are spoilers. all in all, your choice.
Well, according to the content review, Evan Rachel Wood goes topless, so that might sell a few tickets alone (and i believe is dating Marylin Manson currently.
Old 09-18-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm gonna check it out just because it is polarizing critics so much (that and I loved Titus). It's not often you see a near 50/50 split with some critics raving with four star reviews and other's calling it practically unreleaseable. Boy can Taymor really divide a crowd.
Old 09-19-07, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wahhhh
Old 09-19-07, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I thought this trailer looked like one big awful mess. I can't imagine that actually seeing the film would change my feelings either.

then.. I guess you shouldn't watch it?
Old 09-19-07, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the reason for the great divide is the film is heavy on artsyness and very light on plot. I would venture to say the visuals and artistic feel are on the outer fringes of what is deemed mainstream. And with a weak plot, I can see many people panning it. It doesn't make it a bad film, it's just too out there for some people.

Julie Taymor is a theatre director at heart. She is used to over-the-top, visually stunning work. Just look at her stage production of the Lion King. (Which won six Tonys, including Best New Musical and Best Direction of a Musical, first time it was ever awarded to a woman) Artistically, it's probably one of the best shows to ever grace the Broadway stage. Yes, it, too, is weak on plot but the imagery, amazing puppetry and costumes, the music, the set, the dancing, it's all amazing. But not everyone "gets" it. And most of those people never go to the theatre or experience the fine arts. Which is a shame, as many great films are deemed too artsy and fluffy.

For those unfamiliar with the Lion King stage show, here is their performance from the 1998 Tony Awards. It's a combination of the opening and closing scenes of the show. The switch comes when the stage rises.

Last edited by shaun3000; 09-19-07 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-19-07, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saw it this past Saturday in NYC. I was very excited to see it. Saw Lion King on Broadway, loved it. Loved Titus, Frida. Don't necessarily love the Beatles but all in all was very excited to see this movie. And I thought...

That it was a complete mess. My gf thinks that's a really harsh judgement about it, but it's true. The performative aspects overall are great (thought the little help from my friends number was a little weak though) but the normal elements... people saying "hey, what's up" "you wanna get a drink" etc were so stale and bland it was as if Taymor took the first take and that was that. Took about 45 minutes for the film to kick in. Some stuff is a little out of place and fairly contrived.

My take is that Taymor had initially conceived about 4 prop pieces for the film. "Let it Be," "I Want You," the Eddie Izzard one, and one other. She compiled the rest of the movie around those with a fairly weak script. Love songs are easy to throw onto the screen but not everything else was as thought out as the main 4 nor represented as artistically.

The movie did actually make me appreciate the beauty of the Beatles' music more than I have before.

And there are a number of moments in the movie when the beauty of the music and Taymor's influence come together and hit you emotionally in the gut. Have no qualms admitting, but there were 4 or 5 moments where I almost instantaneously and out of the blue started crying. I would list the moments but don't want to give them away.

Despite the movie being a mess, those four or 5 moments are better than many many things I have seen this entire year. Those four or five moments made me feel more during a movie than I have during a long time. It's such a shame that the rest of the film was comparatively lackluster.

I assume the product in the theater was Taymor's version as it ran about 2 hr 10 min.

Would recommend the movie.

Oh, and for the father, nothing in my mind stands out as truly inappropriate for children. Evan Rachel Wood is without a shirt, but she is reclining in a bed as her boyfriend paints her. A la Titianic. Mainly just seeing a nipple. But it's not sexual in the least.
Old 09-19-07, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Let it be was a prop piece? Wow, I would really disagree with that one. I mean, it seemed so overlooked and just pushed the whole Jojo going to the city. It's a bigger set up than anything else.

It's something some will like, some will hate but I'm glad I saw the film as it is a visual piece that I believe anyone should see. Like it or hate it for the story, you can't deny that there's some visuals in there that are amazing.
Old 09-19-07, 06:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
then.. I guess you shouldn't watch it?
Actually, no one should. Didn't you people learn anything from the "Sgt. Pepper" movie?!? This kind of stuff is a baaaad idea for a film.
Old 09-19-07, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Silly people. If they don't cut the film how are they ever going to come up with an 'Unedited Directors-Cut DVD' next year?

Last edited by Panda Phil; 09-20-07 at 09:34 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.