DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Frank Miller Challenge! (Sin City or 300) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/495105-frank-miller-challenge-sin-city-300-a.html)

Lateralus 03-13-07 06:22 AM

The Frank Miller Challenge! (Sin City or 300)

I've seen more than several posts saying that Sin City is far superior to 300, well I would like to put that to the test.

Which movie did you like more and why?

Please try to keep this civil. :)

Jackskeleton 03-13-07 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus

Please try to keep this civil. :)

Civil? don't you know... THIS.IS.SPARTA!!!!!

Jray 03-13-07 07:22 AM

Sin City by a mile. Because it was good. Period. And it had Rosario Dawson and Carla Gugino (nekkid)...

The Bus 03-13-07 07:34 AM

What? :lol: Are you serious?

Sin City by leagues. 300 had some pretty visuals. Sin City had pretty visuals, plus an awesome story, a cool score, good acting, etc.

No contest.

Simpson Purist 03-13-07 07:52 AM

Sin City, it has better acting, dialogue, stories, just better everything.

Zodiac_Speaking 03-13-07 08:21 AM

Sin City.

It had well developed characters from main to supporting and the style was more fun. RR, QT, and FM had a lot of fun making this and you can tell.

CinemaNut 03-13-07 08:23 AM

300. Sword and sandal action epics mixed with crazy visuals slightly edge noir for me

FantasticVSDoom 03-13-07 08:28 AM

Have to say 300...Not a great movie by any means, but Sin City just had some good visuals, and bored me for the most part. Although 300 didnt have a great story line, at least there was some good action and kept me entertained for 2 hours.

starman9000 03-13-07 08:43 AM

Sin City going away....but to be fair Sin City grew on me with multiple viewings, so maybe 300 will do the same.

So now that Miller is gold mine, does he have any other books out there that will be adapted? I know Sin City 2 and 3 are in the works.

Doc MacGyver 03-13-07 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by starman9000
Sin City going away....but to be fair Sin City grew on me with multiple viewings, so maybe 300 will do the same.

So now that Miller is gold mine, does he have any other books out there that will be adapted? I know Sin City 2 and 3 are in the works.

I wouldn't mind seeing The Dark Knight Returns on the big screen, but if it was good, it would get a sequal and then we'd have to sit through the utter, utter, opressively grueling shitefest of sucktitude and soul-raping horror that is The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

But as for the poll... I liked Sin City better, but that doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoy 300... I just happen to dig good Pulp Noir (ever so) slightly more than sword and sandal epics.

Doc

slop101 03-13-07 10:32 AM

Ultimately, what makes and breaks a movie for me are it's characters - not it's plot, story, setting or whatever - it's all about the characters and how they behave - that's what makes me care about a movie or TV show. Sin City had far more interesting, and better written characters than 300 - who's characters were all rather one-dimentional.

Kal-El 03-13-07 11:14 AM

Whichever one had Carla Gugino naked and Jessica Alba writhing around in a cowgirl outfit.

Doc MacGyver 03-13-07 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Whichever one had Carla Gugino naked and Jessica Alba writhing around in a cowgirl outfit.

That being said, I bet if Jessica were truly wearing only what Nancy wore during that scene, this thread wouldn't even exist and there would be no need for the poll.

Doc

JPRaup 03-13-07 11:28 AM

Sin City by miles. I was so bored by the scenes in Sparta in 300. Sin City was constantly engaging

Kudama 03-13-07 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by starman9000

I'm still waiting for Chris Cunningham to get attached to direct Ronin. (Not remotely similar to the DeNiro vehicle.)

matome 03-13-07 11:38 AM

I enjoyed 300, but I'm gonna go with Sin City here.

Supermallet 03-13-07 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
I wouldn't mind seeing The Dark Knight Returns on the big screen, but if it was good, it would get a sequal and then we'd have to sit through the utter, utter, opressively grueling shitefest of sucktitude and soul-raping horror that is The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

I love The Dark Knight Strikes Again. It's a perfect post-modern companion piece to the modernist masterpiece that was The Dark Knight Returns.

But I think we should wait 20 years and have Nolan and Bale do The Dark Knight Returns.

Groucho 03-13-07 01:02 PM

Sin City -- has style and pizazz in every shot. Whereas 300, whilst entertaining, has style and pizazz in only a few shots (ALL of which can be seen in the trailers and/or posters).

Randy Miller III 03-13-07 01:14 PM

While we've already seen a partial adaptation of "Year One" during <i>Batman Begins</i>, I'd love to see a more faithful version of it. An adaptation of <i>Elektra Lives Again</i> would also be interesting, but I sincerely doubt it'll ever happen.

Oh, and <i>Sin City</i> by a landslide (but <i>300</i> was still visually stunning).

Giles 03-13-07 02:02 PM

I didn't really care for Bruce Willis character or story for that matter it was the only flaw I had with Sin City, I think it still edges out 300 though.

Jaymole 03-13-07 02:05 PM

No contest - Sin City

The Antipodean 03-13-07 02:20 PM

Frankly (Millerly?), the source material for Sin City is far better than 300. While it looks purty, I consider 300 one of Miller's less essential graphic novels, but Sin City, particularly the first 2-3 books, totally blew me away and remains one of my favorites.

devilshalo 03-13-07 02:26 PM

I shall reserve judgement until I have seen Ronin.

cranberries fan 03-13-07 02:27 PM

I love them both but if I had to pick one on my death-bed it would be Sin City.

Jackskeleton 03-13-07 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I shall reserve judgement until I have seen Ronin.

I'm just waiting for this line to show up in any future Frank Miller movie to call it the best of the best:

What are you, dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am?

I'm looking your way, Bale.