Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Frank Miller Challenge! (Sin City or 300)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which did you like better?
Sin City
73.68%
26.32%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

The Frank Miller Challenge! (Sin City or 300)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I love all that stuff. Clearly Burton wasn't striving for realism in either Batman film, and the stuff he did in Returns is so artfully done. Awesome movie.

That's probably why I loved it. He had the balls to take a sacred cow and cut it back down to human size. I actually read Strikes Back more than Returns.

Well to each his own. But as someone that has been reading Batman for the last 18 years and who has (In my humble opinion) a real understanding and appreciation for the character, I just can't stand to see them cut down and sodomized (metaphorically) on screen by terrible scripts, bad characterization and hack directors. All that being said, Begins was fantastic and the truest to the source material and I cannot WAIT for The Dark Knight.

Doc
Old 03-15-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I loved both movies, but I thought 300 was better.
Old 03-15-07, 03:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
Well to each his own. But as someone that has been reading Batman for the last 18 years and who has (In my humble opinion) a real understanding and appreciation for the character, I just can't stand to see them cut down and sodomized (metaphorically) on screen by terrible scripts, bad characterization and hack directors. All that being said, Begins was fantastic and the truest to the source material and I cannot WAIT for The Dark Knight.

Doc
Since when is Tim Burton a hack director? I've been reading Batman for over a decade myself, so I don't see why your opinion is more valid than anyone else's.
Old 03-15-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Wow. Almost like choosing children but went for Sin City. Enjoyed both.
Old 03-15-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm a big Batman fan too. The closest we've ever come to accurate portrayal of the character on the screen is the mid-90s animated series.
Old 03-16-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Since when is Tim Burton a hack director? I've been reading Batman for over a decade myself, so I don't see why your opinion is more valid than anyone else's.

Sorry, mate. That was the last thing I posted before I left work last night, and just checking it now I thought, "Goddamn, that came off as snarky." So I apologize, it wasn't meant to sound as if I own the character. And Burton IS a good director (if a wierd one), I was speaking of Shumacher.

But come on, you have to admit that in both Batman Returns and The Dark Knight 2, that guy was no Batman. Frying people with the Batmobile's turbine? Hitting on girls with factoids about misstle toe? Taking your mask off in front of the villain? standing there as one villain kills another? And I won't even list the numerous offenses to his character in DK2.

All that being said, I should have just left it as "to each his own." That was the intention of my earlier post and I apologize for the unintended condescention.

Doc
Old 03-16-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I'm a big Batman fan too. The closest we've ever come to accurate portrayal of the character on the screen is the mid-90s animated series.

It lacked the complete darkness of the comic, but you're right, just a fantastic take on Batman and the DCU as a whole. Bruce Timm is the man. I still whip out Mask of the Phantasm from time to time.

Doc