Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Frank Miller Challenge! (Sin City or 300)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which did you like better?
Sin City
73.68%
26.32%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

The Frank Miller Challenge! (Sin City or 300)

Old 03-13-07, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I love The Dark Knight Strikes Again. It's a perfect post-modern companion piece to the modernist masterpiece that was The Dark Knight Returns.

But I think we should wait 20 years and have Nolan and Bale do The Dark Knight Returns.

As a book, you're right, it's not bad. As a BATMAN Book, it's godawful, out of character and frankly disloyal to the character. It's like Batman Returns. I would have enjoyed it as a Tim Burton film if not for the fact that it was supposed to be yet bore little resemblence to a Batman Film.

Doc
Old 03-13-07, 04:37 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sin City ... but to be fair, it was unadulterated Miller. 300 is a terrific Zack Snyder movie!
Old 03-13-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't seen 300, so I cannot vote... Frank Miller has been my biggest fan ever since 1980's.

Originally Posted by starman9000
So now that Miller is gold mine, does he have any other books out there that will be adapted? I know Sin City 2 and 3 are in the works.
They should do Elektra Saga - in Frank Miller's way. The story should follow closely with Elektra Saga comic book.
Old 03-13-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by McHawkson
Frank Miller has been my biggest fan ever since 1980's.
What did you do to make Frank your biggest fan?

Originally Posted by McHawkson
They should do Elektra Saga - in Frank Miller's way. The story should follow closely with Elektra Saga comic book.
I think they should forget Elektra ever existed.. then go get the Wachowski's to do Miller's Hard Boiled since they've already used Geof Darrow's work on the Matrix.
Old 03-13-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

300 by a mile. I liked Sin City, but was far more entertained by 300.
Old 03-13-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sin City... easily
Old 03-13-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sin City.

It was kickass and Tarantino was involved.

= J
Old 03-13-07, 07:28 PM
Retired

Sin City by a huge amount for me. It was stylish, the dialog was decent (kind of corny but it fit the setting/plot) and the stories and characters were interesting. Probably a 3.5/5 or 4/5 for me.

All 300 had going for it was being stylish and some kick ass action. Boring plot, boring characters (made worse by the lame Rupaul take on Xerces and all the monsters/mutants), terrible corny dialog (that didn't fit the "epic" setting of the movie) which was compounded by terrible acting, and, finally, the action parts were even hurt a bit by overuse of slow mo and CGI blood. Probably a 2/5 to 2.5/5 for me.

Not terrible, but I don't like it anywhere near as much as Sin City. I've seen SC at least 4 or 5 times. I'll never watch 300 again in all likelihood.
Old 03-13-07, 07:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
SC no contest, though 300 was great in it's own right.
Old 03-13-07, 07:43 PM

Sin City by a billion. I love everything Frank Miller, but I just dont get it. I thought 300 was awful. The cheesiest movie I have seen for a long time. I am sorry guys but I couldnt stand it. A couple killer action scenes in 300 but that was it.
Old 03-13-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Despite the fact that Sin City had Carla Gugino in it - I prefered 300.
Old 03-13-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sin City is one of my favorite movies
Old 03-13-07, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Why was Robocop 2 and 3 not an option?
Old 03-13-07, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sin City - better acting, more style, Mickey Rourke's great perfomance - oh, and Carla Gugino's ass. No question.
Old 03-14-07, 01:03 AM
Banned by request

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
As a book, you're right, it's not bad. As a BATMAN Book, it's godawful, out of character and frankly disloyal to the character. It's like Batman Returns. I would have enjoyed it as a Tim Burton film if not for the fact that it was supposed to be yet bore little resemblence to a Batman Film.

Doc
That's funny, Batman Returns is far and away my favorite of the Burton/Schumacher Batman films. As for the book being disloyal to the character, I can't see how. It follows the character arc created by Dark Knight Returns pretty closely.
Old 03-14-07, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
300 all the way.

When i left the theater after seeing 300 I was pumped up, inspired, interested in learning more about real historical events. I was far more impressed with the stylized vision of 300 over Sin City.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Sin City, but I was never as impressed with it as others here.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-14-07 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-14-07, 10:23 AM

for me poll reads as:
Jessica Alba
No Jessica Alba
Old 03-14-07, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
300 all the way.

When i left the theater after seeing 300 I was pumped up, inspired, interested in learning more about real historical events. I was for more impressed with the stylized vision of 300 over Sin City.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Sin City, but I was never as impressed with it as others here.
I agree, watching the History Channel doc really broadened my interest and knowledge in the subject. Also compared to Sin City, I already have plans to see 300 at least two more times in the theatre. Sin City has little replay value, I can barely get the time or interest in watching the Expanded cut on DVD.
Old 03-14-07, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
Also compared to Sin City, I already have plans to see 300 at least two more times in the theatre. Sin City has little replay value, I can barely get the time or interest in watching the Expanded cut on DVD.
Same here. I sold my Sin City EE on eBay because it had so little replay value for me. Yeah, the bits with Gugino and Alba are hot and I loved the look of the film, but I when I tried re-watching it I barely made it to the halfway point before turning it off in boredom.

I'll probably watch 300 again on the big screen and the DVD is a must-buy. With decent extras, the DVD will get plenty of mileage in my home.
Old 03-14-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
That's funny, Batman Returns is far and away my favorite of the Burton/Schumacher Batman films. As for the book being disloyal to the character, I can't see how. It follows the character arc created by Dark Knight Returns pretty closely.
Batman returns has a crazy-ass Catwoman licked back to life by alley cats. It had a penguin who, instead of fighting his appearance with an erudite attitude and forced upper-class affectations, he's a fish-eating monster. Batman kills many, many people and the movie climaxes with brainwashed penguins launching missles off of their backs. Terrible, terrible Batman movie. Nowhere near the utter shyte that is Forever and B&R, but still, awful.

As for The Dark Knight Strikes Again? Batman, who was supposedly going to retire and train his army, is now back in the saddle and hunting down this killer. Superman's character growth from Returns was undone. The 60's-era jokes and references were lame, and the book destroyed Dick Grayson's character for the sake of a "shock reveal." I love Frank Miller, but this book was a big in-joke and a way for him so say "F-You" to all the people that couldn't get past DKR and move on.

Doc
Old 03-14-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Same here. I sold my Sin City EE on eBay because it had so little replay value for me.
Weird - I think 300 has A LOT less replay value, because once you get past the action sequences, there's nothing there. Whereas with Sin City, I found the characters and the dialog interesting enough to want to re-vist. For me, action has far less replay value for me than compelling drama does. Watching actors such as Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen and Benicio DelToro rip shit up is much more exciting than any action sequence.
Old 03-14-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Batman returns has a crazy-ass Catwoman licked back to life by alley cats. It had a penguin who, instead of fighting his appearance with an erudite attitude and forced upper-class affectations, he's a fish-eating monster. Batman kills many, many people and the movie climaxes with brainwashed penguins launching missles off of their backs. Terrible, terrible Batman movie.
Up until that final line, I thought you were lauding Batman Returns.
Old 03-14-07, 05:23 PM
lxl

Sin City is way better.
Old 03-14-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Up until that final line, I thought you were lauding Batman Returns.

Good God, I'm so sorry I gave that impression. Prior to Batman Begins, the only decent bat flick was the original, and even that was just ok.

Doc
Old 03-14-07, 09:06 PM
Banned by request

Batman returns has a crazy-ass Catwoman licked back to life by alley cats. It had a penguin who, instead of fighting his appearance with an erudite attitude and forced upper-class affectations, he's a fish-eating monster. Batman kills many, many people and the movie climaxes with brainwashed penguins launching missles off of their backs. Terrible, terrible Batman movie. Nowhere near the utter shyte that is Forever and B&R, but still, awful.
I love all that stuff. Clearly Burton wasn't striving for realism in either Batman film, and the stuff he did in Returns is so artfully done. Awesome movie.

As for The Dark Knight Strikes Again? Batman, who was supposedly going to retire and train his army, is now back in the saddle and hunting down this killer. Superman's character growth from Returns was undone. The 60's-era jokes and references were lame, and the book destroyed Dick Grayson's character for the sake of a "shock reveal." I love Frank Miller, but this book was a big in-joke and a way for him so say "F-You" to all the people that couldn't get past DKR and move on.
That's probably why I loved it. He had the balls to take a sacred cow and cut it back down to human size. I actually read Strikes Back more than Returns.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.