Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Last Mimzy

Old 03-12-07, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Last Mimzy

Saw this movie over the weekend with my 6 year old son. We both enjoyed it thoroughly! I personally cannot reccommend it high enough. Very thought provoking and intelligent. Any other people see it and what was your opinions?

Last edited by CaptStormy; 03-12-07 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 03-12-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
They had a showing here on Saturday as well, I didn't catch it, but was standing in line when it got out (for 300), it didn't seem overly packed but the kids seemed to really like it.

Or it could of been the plush mimzys they gave out after the movie.
Old 03-12-07, 09:51 AM
Cool New Member

I thought it was great, they don't make "kids" movies like this anymore. A rare movie that doesn't talk down to kids.
Old 03-12-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it on Saturday. It had been touted as along the lines of Jumanji and Zathura which, I can certainly see, but this one was definitely different, too. It was very well done, with the exception that there were a few moments in the movie that seemed to drag on a little too long in relation to the movie as a whole. It's much more sci-fi than I had expected. I'm not sure I would recommend it for those under the age of six... there were some moments of "peril" (which garnered its PG rating) and some of the elements may be a bit unsettling to little ones (as evidenced by the younger ones in our audience - they were none too happy with a couple of scenes and yowled their displeasure, much to the displeasure of the rest of us!) Certainly, though, for anyone over the age of six, it's definitely worth seeing - another good, clean family movie with an actual plot and some terrific acting.

I will say this, however - anyone who can sit through that movie and see that darling little girl's sad/pouty face and not feel something... well, they just don't have a heart beating in their chest!
Old 03-12-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll admit that the kids were cute, but I found the movie to be dull, plodding and laughable. The overall plot is never entirely clear (I overheard many kids saying "I don't get it") and by the time it makes sense, we don't really care. Rainn Wilson adds some decent comic relief, but the lame-o effects and bad dialogue/acting from the rest of the cast really bring it down a notch. (The FBI stuff is extremely cringe inducing)

As a frame of reference, I usually love these type of kids movies - Jumanji, Zathura, ET and one of my favourite movies of 2007 so far was Bridge to Terabithia...but this movie I did not care for...even the framing of the movie was sloppy - the way it's a story being told in the future, they must have no entertainment in the future, because if this is the best story they have to tell, I'd fear for the species...so much of it goes nowhere (the spider bridge - the dreams about building a bridge) that I couldn't see myself ever wanting to watch it again...and like I said, at my theatre, the kids were just bored. i'm glad some people here enjoyed it, but after seeing it I was baffled as why New Line would let this turkey out of the bag early...

MATT
Old 03-13-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's directed by the head of New Line, Bob Shaye.
Old 03-13-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I figured since Bob Shaye directed it, no one told him it blew, thus the sneak preview.
Old 11-11-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought it was okay, I liked the scenes with the kids displaying their new "powers" best.

Major plot hole, IMO
Spoiler:
Why wouldn't the future scientist send Mimzy back with a full explanation of what was going on and a set of instructions for the special kids to rectify it? Why send back a veritable jigsaw puzzle and hope they figure it out?
Old 01-05-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Last Mimzy

It wasn't bad, I enjoyed it.
Old 01-05-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
Re: The Last Mimzy

saw it for the first time myself a few weeks ago after setting up my parents new TV. I can't say it was a good movie per se but it was certainly an interesting one with a lot of potential. The kids displaying their powers was cool.

The future scenes were so schlocky 80s it sort of took me out of it.