Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shazam! (2019, D: David F. Sandberg) S: Zachary Levi

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Shazam! (2019, D: David F. Sandberg) S: Zachary Levi

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Shazam! (2019, D: David F. Sandberg) S: Zachary Levi

Originally Posted by fujishig
I have to imagine this movie is a lot cheaper to make than Aquaman, though. Does anyone know for sure?

My kids are really excited, and I hope it's a DC movie I can actually take them to.
I've heard the budget is in the $80-$100 million range, which (if the film lands, and it probably will) will make the film quite profitable.
Old 01-25-19, 09:11 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I have to imagine this movie is a lot cheaper to make than Aquaman, though. Does anyone know for sure?

My kids are really excited, and I hope it's a DC movie I can actually take them to.
Looks like kids should love it.
Old 01-25-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Wait, wasn't it mentioned that this would be a lighter "BIG" type hero film? Are people just realizing this or were they hoping the "BIG" inspiration mentions were net rumors? People complained about DC's darkness and lack of fun...DC lightens up and brings the fun back..

and people still complain...sigh...I mean really, why does DC even fuckin' bother.
Old 01-25-19, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Wait, wasn't it mentioned that this would be a lighter "BIG" type hero film? Are people just realizing this or were they hoping the "BIG" inspiration mentions were net rumors? People complained about DC's darkness and lack of fun...DC lightens up and brings the fun back..

and people still complain...sigh...I mean really, why does DC even fuckin' bother.
If Shazam! came off as cool, I wouldn't be complaining. Almost everything about it comes off as dorky and cringe-worthy. It would be more appealing wish fulfillment for kids if there was a hip edge to it. Again, the Shazam acts like a comedy-mode Brendan Frasier in a cape. The Spider-man movies (except 3) could show DC a thing or two on how to do it right.

Last edited by PatD; 01-25-19 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-25-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

I’m not complaining but more making observations on what we’ve seen so far.
looks like any of the movies from the 80’s were a little boy goes into an adult body switch theme.

im all for humor in a superhero movie but this looks like DC went too far to the extreme with trying to be funny or silly.

Not saying this won’t be a good movie despite that, it might be great.
From the previews it looks like they are aiming this towards 12 year olds.
Old 01-25-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm thanking God this movie isn't trying to have a "cool" and "hip" edge and is going for a more traditional but fun vibe. Nothing makes a movie more dated and lame than trying to be topically relevant to about 5 minutes ago.

No wait, all those Matrix/wire-fu and pop culture references in every 2000s Dreamworks Animation movie still hold up, right?
Old 01-25-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I get some of the complaints about the tone of the trailers.
When I saw the first one, it reminded me of the way 90s superhero films looked and felt. Cheesy.
I also think that treating the DC Shazam!/Captain Marvel comics and stories as closer to an "all-ages" comic is part of the reason why the character never caught on.
I never wanted Captain Marvel to go the Miracle Man route, but something more inline with Superman, Wonder Woman, and Captain America comics of the time.
I think Alex Ross and Paul Dini had the balance in their one-shot Power of Hope.

That said, I'm sure WB/DC is trying to market Shazam! to make it stand out from all the typical, modern superhero films out there, and not have the public think he's some off-brand Man of Steel. Which is maybe why the Big-like humor seems to be played up. Big was a great film, so if this is the superhero version of that, I'm there.
Old 01-25-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

I mean, it's the story of a young teen getting superpowers, and the dichotomy between his kid-like real self and what he looks like on the outside. Johns and co. tried to "dirty" him up a bit in the new 52 and I hated it. If you're going to do Shazam!, don't do grim and gritty, at least not to start.

Dude is called "the big red cheese" anyway.
Old 01-25-19, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Just to be clear, my mild antipathy to the marketing so far is not based on the concept of channeling Big's general vibe and cross-polinating it with a superhero movie.

It's all in how that vibe is translating that is turning me off. Brayzie nailed it. It feels like a lower rent 90's take on a comic book adaptation.
Personally I'd like a tone less Bevis & Butthead and more the lead character in King of the Hill (the film).

I get that most people would see the latter as too serious, but I see plenty of opportunity in that approach for wittier and more nuanced humor that will wear better over the long term.

From the marketing so far, I wouldn't be surprised if the final cut has a scene of Shazam, in costume, lighting his farts on fire.
Old 01-26-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy crap DC can't win for losing. "Too dark!" So they lighten it up. "Too corny! Needs more hip, cool jokes!" *sigh*

This is childhood superhero wish-fulfillment at its core. That's the heart of the story, and the relationship between Billy and Freddy (and by extension, the rest of the foster kids) as they try to build a family among themselves. A fucking "cool, hip" Billy Batson would completely defeat the purpose of telling the Shazam story, period. It's not Spider-Man. Why should it even try to be?
Old 01-26-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I love the tone of the trailers, seems to fit the exact attitude a kid turning in to a superhero would have when you don't have the weight of family deaths on you like Spidey does. I love the youthful exuberance out of Levi as a hero.
Old 01-26-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Loved what I have seen so far. In my top 5 most anticipated for the year. Loved Levi as Chuck so I have no worries that he won't be able to pull this off.
Old 01-27-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

For what it's worth, my 10 year old son, who's a huge Marvel movie fan, can't wait to see this. So the premise and trailers definitely have kid appeal.
Old 02-07-19, 01:25 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Regarding Henry Cavill / Superman:

Spoiler:

Though Henry Cavill’s future in the DCEU remains unclear for the time being, it sounds like the upcoming Shazam! movie will still find a way to work in a Superman scene, just not in the way you might’ve thought.

According to sources close to We Got This Covered, the Man of Steel’s appearance comes at the end of Billy Batson’s new film as part of the payoff to a running joke. Throughout the movie, it’s said that Billy’s friend and foster brother Freddy Freeman has been asking Billy to show up at his school in the Shazam persona in order to prove to all of Freddy’s classmates that he knows the hero. In the final scene, Shazam finally makes an appearance, before saying that he brought another friend with him. At this point, Superman walks into the room, but since Cavill isn’t looking ready to return anytime soon, the film will allegedly use a body double that doesn’t show Clark Kent’s face.

Last year, it was reported that Cavill was going to show up at the end of Shazam! in what sounds like the DC equivalent of Nick Fury’s cameo in Iron Man. If all we’re hearing is true, though, then it seems that Warner Bros. may have adjusted their plans in response to the ongoing alleged difficulties between the studio and the Justice League star.

Since then, we’ve heard that both Cavill and Warner are interested in making another movie featuring Clark Kent, but the actor has a few conditions for his return, including director and script approval, as well as a producer credit. With both camps seemingly unwilling to discuss the matter publicly though, time will tell how the situation is resolved, but in the meantime, you can catch Shazam! in theaters from April 5th, 2019.
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...-henry-cavill/
Old 02-07-19, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

The DCEU has officially become cringey.

Ye Gods, what a mess...
Spoiler:
they can’t even figure out if Cavill can do a thirty second cameo.
Old 02-08-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you believe an unsubstantiated rumor on a questionable website, sure
Old 02-16-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Old 02-17-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I have zero interest in seeing this.
Old 02-18-19, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So is that a spoiler or are those based on the comics designs or something?
Old 02-18-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Looks like they’re based on the comic book of the Captain Marvel Family.

we don’t know enough about the movie to know if it’s in the movie.
I wouldn’t say it’s a spoiler.
Old 02-18-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought that incarnation of Freddie Freeman was blonde, though. Anyway, I'll avoid saying more.
Old 02-18-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't wait for this
Old 02-18-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I think for the most part this looks like it’ll be a decent movie. I can sort of see what brayzie and Paul_SD are getting at with this feeling like some goofy knock-off/cheapo comic book film in ways though. It’s got a corny vibe to it which feels a bit dated, but yet I don’t think that’s completely out of line with the character. As I’ve said before too Shazam isn’t exactly character I’m a fan of, but the trailers and Levi have made me more interested than I expected to be and I will check it out when it hits theaters.
Old 02-28-19, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

SHAZAM on track for a 48 Million dollar weekend. That seems rather MEH! to me.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/02/28/...ons-2019-dceu/
Old 03-04-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.