Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shazam! (2019, D: David F. Sandberg) S: Zachary Levi

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Shazam! (2019, D: David F. Sandberg) S: Zachary Levi

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Shazam! (2019, D: David F. Sandberg) S: Zachary Levi

That last commercial looked great to me. I think this will be another hit for WB too.
Old 01-21-19, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

The jump off the roof was soooo damn badass.
Old 01-21-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just hope no buildings or other property gets destroyed in this....
Old 01-21-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I just hope no buildings or other property gets destroyed in this....

Or they'll make a comment, like IIRC was done in Civil War and Justice League, about civilians being placed out of harms way or w/e.
Old 01-21-19, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Total Superman clone!
Old 01-22-19, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May somebody explain where from the term "Shazam" comes from? I also sees a character in mobile game called summoners war, and the name is Shazam too, so why I'm intersted!
Old 01-22-19, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by vids
May somebody explain where from the term "Shazam" comes from? I also sees a character in mobile game called summoners war, and the name is Shazam too, so why I'm intersted!
SHAZAM is derived from the names of the heroes that provide Billy with his powers:

S - wisdom of Solomon
H - strength of Hercules
A - stamina of Atlas
Z - power of Zeus
A - courage of Achilles
M - speed of Mercury
Old 01-22-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
SHAZAM is derived from the names of the heroes that provide Billy with his powers:

S - wisdom of Solomon
H - strength of Hercules
A - stamina of Atlas
Z - power of Zeus
A - courage of Achilles
M - speed of Mercury
Which makes no sense because there's a mixture of heroes (a demigod), a Biblical figure, a Titan, a Greek god, and a Roman god (Greek and Roman gods are basically the same but have different names, ie: Mercury/Hermes and Zeus/Jupiter).

But yeah, it's also the name of that music service. I guess you can't copyright a name? I'm pretty sure the Fawcett/DC creation came first.

Old 01-22-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm so in on this movie
Old 01-22-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by vids
The film is based on the life of Private First Class Gomer Pyle, who is a genie played by Sinbad.
Old 01-22-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Which makes no sense because there's a mixture of heroes (a demigod), a Biblical figure, a Titan, a Greek god, and a Roman god (Greek and Roman gods are basically the same but have different names, ie: Mercury/Hermes and Zeus/Jupiter).
It’s a comc book from the 1930s. You’re really overthinking it.
Old 01-22-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How does that make no sense? It's pretty clever. Back when he was created in the 1930's I'll bet those gods and famous figures were commonly known.

Old 01-22-19, 02:01 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

But yeah, it's also the name of that music service. I guess you can't copyright a name? I'm pretty sure the Fawcett/DC creation came first.
Old 01-22-19, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As a kid, I loved Greek and Roman mythology so I always thought it was odd that they would mix the two, along with other sources, to make up his Pantheon. But agreed that it was basically just taking popular mythological characters and fitting them around a word that sounded cool (if they used Hermes, Shazah just seems really weird, or Shajam for Jupiter).
Old 01-24-19, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's also an exclamation and, as majorjoe23 referenced, was commonly used by the Gomer Pyle character back in the day.
Old 01-24-19, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I guess I'm going to have to be "that guy" and say this film seems too goofy and silly to fit in the otherwise practically humorless DCEU. Even the suit is dorky. There doesn't seem to be anything grounded tone-wise. It doesn't strike me as cool and hip like Guardians of the Galaxy. But, that's just me. Also the main actor playing Shazam seems to be channeling 90s Brendan Frasier--HARD.
Old 01-24-19, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Aquaman was pretty goofy and it’s the highest grossing DC movie.
Old 01-24-19, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, people apparently want "goofy" these days. They use movies to escape from their shitty lives.
Old 01-24-19, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
I guess I'm going to have to be "that guy" and say this film seems too goofy and silly to fit in the otherwise practically humorless DCEU. Even the suit is dorky. There doesn't seem to be anything grounded tone-wise. It doesn't strike me as cool and hip like Guardians of the Galaxy. But, that's just me. Also the main actor playing Shazam seems to be channeling 90s Brendan Frasier--HARD.
This is the vibe I get too.
I like a goofy and silly movie but this one seems too much on that side.

Who is the villain anyway? Mr Mxzptlk?
Old 01-24-19, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

You're looking for "cool" and "hip" in a Shazam movie?

Shazam is childhood wish fulfillment. It's a different tone of story entirely. Everything doesn't (and shouldn't) have to fit into the Marvel Universe mold
Old 01-25-19, 06:26 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Actually, you're not alone. Every time I try to watch a trailer for this movie I get the stupid teen comedy vibe from it. I agree with your assessment. I doubt I'll be watching this, I hate stupid teen comedies.
Old 01-25-19, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
You're looking for "cool" and "hip" in a Shazam movie?

Shazam is childhood wish fulfillment. It's a different tone of story entirely. Everything doesn't (and shouldn't) have to fit into the Marvel Universe mold
Everything you've said is correct and I'm a huge fan of the original Captain Marvel (I hate calling him Shazam). But even given your points, the trailers aren't giving me the right vibe. It's not that I think it's not "cool" or "hip" enough, something just feels off.
Old 01-25-19, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hoe do you equate a tree with one word, Andy from Parks and Rec and a CGI Raccoon as cool and hip?
Old 01-25-19, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
Everything you've said is correct and I'm a huge fan of the original Captain Marvel (I hate calling him Shazam). But even given your points, the trailers aren't giving me the right vibe. It's not that I think it's not "cool" or "hip" enough, something just feels off.
Same here.

The roof jump scene looks bad ass, but I'm just not feeling in tune with the lighter parts.

It's not that I want serious, stoic CM/S either. The wish fulfillment/ boy in a ripped adults body is a great way to differentiate this from the rest of the pack. But I'm not really digging Levi's mugging and the humor feels like I'm gonna be trapped for two hours with an annoying adolescent for company.

The other thing that isn't helping is the setting.
I haven't seen Aquaman yet, but one reason I was hyped for it were the settings. The marketing sold beautiful undersea spectacle, while above the surface sunny, Mediterranean seaside villages full of character.
Shazam takes place primarily in a northern rust belt town in late winter or early spring with seemingly nothing but grey, overcast skies.
That might be a fresh setting for a comic book movie at this point, but certainly isn't that appealing (to me anyway).
Frankly the thing just looks annoying and dreary to me.

But I realize I'm perpetually out of step with the status quo, so what do I know?
Old 01-25-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have to imagine this movie is a lot cheaper to make than Aquaman, though. Does anyone know for sure?

My kids are really excited, and I hope it's a DC movie I can actually take them to.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.