Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shazam! (2019, D: David F. Sandberg) S: Zachary Levi

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Shazam! (2019, D: David F. Sandberg) S: Zachary Levi

Old 03-25-17, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
Re: DC Comic's Shazam S: Dwayne Johnson

The rumor mill indicates Johnson wants to make Black Adam's solo project into a very dark movie, which is at odds with New Line that wants to turn the Shazam property into a kids-friendly movie.
Old 04-10-17, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Rumors: And I can totally see WB giving up and throwing Rock/Black Adam into MoS2 instead.

“No. I will not tell you how I know any of this in order to not jeopardize my position.

Firstly, Black Adam will be the main villain in Man of Steel 2. The idea was tossed around of possibly making an appearance in the sequel, even if it was only brief. This later evolved into Adam becoming the villain due to the fact WB did not feel confident in the early drafts of the Shazam script and felt as if Dwayne Johnson deserved a bigger project (may be linked to how much they’re paying him).

Second, Matthew Vaughn is still talking to Warner about directing the film, however Warner are talking to other directors as well, which may be an attempt to increase pressure on Vaughn’s agent.

Lastly, some bad news, Shazam is practically off the table at this point. Warner did not feel confident in the first drafts of the script and is much more interested in Black Adam, as I said earlier.

Despite this, it is likely that Billy Batson will appear in a film. To what degree? I don’t know.”
Old 04-10-17, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Like the Batman (IMO BS) rumor, this is from 4chan...

Not saying they'll give up on Shazam, but the source isn't exactly credible.
Old 04-10-17, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Like the Batman (IMO BS) rumor, this is from 4chan...

Not saying they'll give up on Shazam, but the source isn't exactly credible.
If that makes you believe WB has any more idea of what they are actually doing, enjoy!

Sounds completely plausible given their recent output. Like I said in one of the other threads for "DC in development" films, I fully believe WB will adjust their releases depending on the box office of Wonder Woman.
Old 04-10-17, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Rumors: And I can totally see WB giving up and throwing Rock/Black Adam into MoS2 instead.
So everyone waits seven years for a sequel to Man of Steel, and it's going to a retread of Zod? (Superman going up against another SPB of equal abilities.)

Sounds about as ill-advised as Batman going up against Deathstroke...

...so it might be just a plausible rumor.
Old 04-10-17, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
So everyone waits seven years for a sequel to Man of Steel, and it's going to a retread of Zod? (Superman going up against another SPB of equal abilities.)
Ah, but here's the genius of it, Black Adam's mom's name? Martha.
Old 04-10-17, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Save Black Martha!
Old 04-10-17, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Really, seven years for a sequel? That's simply horrible planning.
Old 04-11-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me at all if they do try and shoehorn Black Adam into the Man of Steel sequel. I don't love the idea but Dwayne Johnson is a huge star and could probably help the film rake in more money at the box office.
Old 04-11-17, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
If that makes you believe WB has any more idea of what they are actually doing, enjoy!
No, they probably don't but I don't place much credibility in something anybody can post on 4chan or reddit.

But let's be snarky. It is a DC thread after all, enjoy!
Old 04-11-17, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

They'll use MOS2 to launch a Shazam! film. Introduce both Black Adam, Billy Batson and the whole Captain Marvel mythology. Act Three will see Billy say "Shazam!" for the first time then they team up against Black Adam.
Old 04-12-17, 08:43 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

More than three years after his casting was announced, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's villainous turn as Black Adam is finally starting to come together.

MTV News caught up with Johnson at the world premiere of The Fate of the Furious, out this Friday, and we couldn't resist asking him if there was any progress on the Shazam casting front. While Johnson wouldn't reveal if Warner Bros. had found its newest superhero, he did confirm that the long-awaited Shazam movie and his recently announced Black Adam stand-alone film would be two very different movies.

"We've had great discussions with Geoff Johns over at DC. This is a really fun, cool time for DC right now because they're world-building," Johnson told MTV's Josh Horowitz. "We're seeing that with Wonder Woman and Aquaman. We have a few surprises down the line."

"So what we decided to do was to create a scenario where Black Adam has his stand-alone movie, and Captain Marvel, Shazam, has his stand-alone movie," he added. "We're building our world that way, and then we can come together at some point."

Johnson also teased a big surprise for his Black Adam solo film: "It's just fucking awesome." (OK, so maybe that wasn't that much of a surprise.) Still, when it comes to DC and Warner Bros., ideas aren't generally the problem: It's execution.
http://www.mtv.com/news/3001670/the-...adam-movie-dc/
Old 04-12-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I love that Jason Mamoa and Dwayne Johnson seem to be some of DC/DCCU's biggest and most vocal Cheerleaders. They are bursting with excitement about playing their roles and pushing the brand.

It's a nice bright light in the middle of all the "Debby Downer" and "I have Zero Faith in DC..." bullshit.
Old 06-07-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to Dwayne Johnson's production site, Seven Bucks Productions, they have Shazam slotted in the April 5, 2019 spot.

Whether it's accurate or not, no idea.

http://sevenbucks.com/project/shazam/
Old 06-07-17, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I love that Jason Mamoa and Dwayne Johnson seem to be some of DC/DCCU's biggest and most vocal Cheerleaders. They are bursting with excitement about playing their roles and pushing the brand.

It's a nice bright light in the middle of all the "Debby Downer" and "I have Zero Faith in DC..." bullshit.
The Rock is like that for any of his films, and it didn't help Baywatch... so...
Old 06-07-17, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Probably more of a case in not having faith in Warners than DC, which is kind of justified when you look at how they handle their DC properties.

I really want a good DC Cinematic Universe, but there's always a concern that Warners corporate will panic and fuck it up.
Old 07-17-17, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-17-17, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-20-17, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Confirmed by THR:

'Shazam!' Is Next DC Movie to Shoot (Exclusive)

David Sandberg, the filmmaker behind upcoming Annabelle: Creation, is directing the feature project that hails from Warner Bros.’s sister division, New Line. The project is looking to go before cameras in January or February 2018 with a likely release in 2019, according to sources.

Dwayne Johnson, who has long been attached to play Shazam! villain Black Adam, is not involved with Shazam! but is attached as star and producer of the Black Adam spinoff that is being developed concurrently to Shazam!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-shoot-1022821
Old 07-20-17, 11:33 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

The article says:

"It is unclear whether Dwayne Johnson, who has long been attached to play Shazam! villain Black Adam, will be involved with Shazam! but he is attached as star and producer of the Black Adam spinoff that is being developed concurrently to Shazam!"

I don't see how they couldn't include him. That's a big selling point.
Old 07-20-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
The article says:

"It is unclear whether Dwayne Johnson, who has long been attached to play Shazam! villain Black Adam, will be involved with Shazam! but he is attached as star and producer of the Black Adam spinoff that is being developed concurrently to Shazam!"

I don't see how they couldn't include him. That's a big selling point.
Funny, they literally must have just edited it...

Edit: Also, don't be surprised if the star, and release date, is announced during SDCC.
Old 07-20-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
The Rock is like that for any of his films, and it didn't help Baywatch... so...
All true.
Old 07-21-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

JULY 21, 2017 11:20am PT by Patrick Shanley
Dwayne Johnson Won't Appear in 'Shazam!,' DC's Geoff Johns Says

The studio exec confirmed the news that Johnson's Black Adam will not appear in the upcoming film.
Dwayne Johnson will not appear in the upcoming superhero film Shazam!, according to DC chief creative officer Geoff Johns.

"We haven't announced any casting yet," Johns told Yahoo Movies. "But Dwayne isn't going to be in this movie. He's still doing Black Adam, but he won't be in Shazam!"

News of Shazam!, which follows a young boy who transforms into Earth's mightiest mortal, being the next DC film in line to shoot was reported Thursday by The Hollywood Reporter. The film is yet to cast its leads, but Johnson has been attached to the role of Shazam's main antagonist, Black Adam, since 2008.

Due to Johnson's meteoric rise to one of the most bankable actors in Hollywood, however, a stand-alone Black Adam film was announced to showcase the star, with Johnson leading and producing.

The plan at the moment seems to be making concurrent films, both Shazam! and Black Adam, with the intention of the two characters sharing the screen together further down the line.
Old 07-22-17, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Shazam! (2019, D: David F. Sandberg) S: Zachary Levi

Old 07-23-17, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
re: Shazam! (2019, D: David F. Sandberg) S: Zachary Levi

Pretty much everyone wants to see a Superman vs Captain Marvel battle on the big screen. Heck, I would pay $10 just to see a 10-minute fight between them. They wouldn't even need to film the rest of the movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.