Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shazam! (2019, D: David F. Sandberg) S: Zachary Levi

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Shazam! (2019, D: David F. Sandberg) S: Zachary Levi

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: DC Comic's Shazam S: Dwayne Johnson

I haven't really seen any stunt casting from DC. Affleck might have been considered that 10 years ago, but these days I don't think Warner gets him just for the name these days.
Old 09-08-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Everybody is always riding Marvel's dick around here.
Old 09-08-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Everybody is always riding Marvel's dick around here.
Except for Edgar Wright fans.
Old 09-08-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't even get me started!
Old 09-08-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Marvel has been spot on in casting imo, though they probably could have avoided the problems with Norton.

Costner and Crowe in Man of Steel reminds me quite a bit of Batman and Robin casting. Spacey in Superman Returns was typical WB casting as well. It should be noted that Katie Holmes was supposedly forced upon Nolan by WB if he wanted to direct Batman Begins.

Half the cast of Batman and Superman has me nervous. Too many variables for a studio that has shown poor results time and time again. WB has been cruising on the goodwill from the Nolan films.
Old 09-08-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Ok, I'll bite, why was Holmes forced into the movie? She wasn't exactly a budding superstar even before the marriage, at least not that I remember.
Old 09-08-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The original script didn't even have the Rachel Dawes character, that was supposed to be Harvey Dent but WB wanted a love interest.
Old 09-08-14, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Marvel has been spot on in casting imo, though they probably could have avoided the problems with Norton.

Costner and Crowe in Man of Steel reminds me quite a bit of Batman and Robin casting. Spacey in Superman Returns was typical WB casting as well. It should be noted that Katie Holmes was supposedly forced upon Nolan by WB if he wanted to direct Batman Begins.

Half the cast of Batman and Superman has me nervous. Too many variables for a studio that has shown poor results time and time again. WB has been cruising on the goodwill from the Nolan films.
I thought Costner was a good pick considering WB's past choices. Crowe was definitely a poor choice, foisted on the movie by clueless WB executives more concerned with hitting every demo possible.

You can almost always tell when WB meddles with the casting process on one of their movies.
Old 09-08-14, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought Costner and Crowe were both good in their respective roles. Casting in general I thought was excellent for Man of Steel.
Old 09-08-14, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Except it's Perry White, not Perry Black.
Old 09-08-14, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And Jimmy Jenny Olsen
Old 09-08-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by taffer
And Jimmy Jenny Olsen
Except that didn't really happen.
Old 09-08-14, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Except that didn't happen.
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Except that didn't really happen.
Really?
Old 09-08-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Except it's Perry White, not Perry Black.
I didn't even consider the "Daily Planet" characters, as their parts all kind of suck as written, but yea I have no idea what they were doing with those castings either.
Old 09-08-14, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Really?
I added it since its kind of ambiguous after looking it up. WB promo material listed her as Jenny Olsen initially, but in the official credits she's just Jenny and her name tag lists a different last name. Either way, the end result as portrayed in the movie doesn't really do anything that identifies her as a replacement for Jimmy Olsen.
Old 09-08-14, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The original script didn't even have the Rachel Dawes character, that was supposed to be Harvey Dent but WB wanted a love interest.
The Harvey Dent storyline should have progressed more naturally, and not crammed into one movie, if they had the back story out of the way during BB. Nolan was right on the money with that. Generally whenever I see a critic attack TDK it's always over Dent's quick transformation and chosen ending. I still wish they would have included Rachel as a minor character instead.
Old 09-08-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It's rumored there is an actual Jimmy Olsen in this sequel. I think Jenny was a plant intended to get MOS in the press, and got pulled once fan reaction responded very negatively.
Old 09-08-14, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Really?
Yeah.. She was just an intern named Jenny. According to Wikipedia, Scoot McNairy is Jimmy Olsen in Dawn of Justice.
Old 09-08-14, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Yeah.. She was just an intern named Jenny. According to Wikipedia, Scoot McNairy is Jimmy Olsen in Dawn of Justice.
It was a joke about two posts in a row from the same person with one word difference.
Old 09-08-14, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
The Harvey Dent storyline should have progressed more naturally, and not crammed into one movie, if they had the back story out of the way during BB. Nolan was right on the money with that. Generally whenever I see a critic attack TDK it's always over Dent's quick transformation and chosen ending. I still wish they would have included Rachel as a minor character instead.
Funny thing is that, although I heard that Rachel was a studio mandate, in one of many interviews, Nolan claims the change was his idea because he felt he couldn't pay off the character properly in BB. It makes me wonder if Two Face was initially going to appear towards the end of BB in much the same way that Crane quickly took the moniker Scarecrow (and was quickly defeated with a taser). So, either way, the character was going to be rushed.
Old 01-17-17, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Pure speculation, but Geoff Johns started following Brad Peyton on Twitter so I'm wondering if they found a director for Shazam given Peyton worked with Dwayne Johnson twice before (Journey 2 and San Andreas).
Old 01-19-17, 02:19 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

New Line and DC Entertainment are doubling down on comic book hero Shazam!

New Line, which has been for over a decade developing a movie on the long-time DC character, will develop concurrently a movie centering on Black Adam, with Dwayne Johnson attached to star as Shazam’s arch-nemesis.

The move stems from last week’s high level meeting with Johnson and DC Films co-head and comics author Geoff Johns, after which Johnson took to social media to promise “hope, optimism & fun.”

But on a deeper level, the meeting led to a reconfiguring of the Shazam! movie. Johnson has been attached to play Black Adam since around 2008. Since that time, the actor has become arguably the biggest male actor on the planet. To execs, it made no sense to have a man of Johnson’s stature be just a villain and a supporting character in an expensive tentpole. Thus a decision was made to spin Black Adam into his own film.

Adam’s screen take involves him being an anti-hero. And it also mirrors recent developments in the DC comics, in stories written by Johns, where Adam, while still a villain, was fighting against enemies who sought to enslave his people.

No writer or filmmaker is attached to Black Adam. Shazam! has a script that is being worked by Henry Gayden, says one source.

More to come.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ebook_20170119
Old 02-17-17, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

David F. Sandberg in Talks to Direct ‘Shazam’ For New Line (Exclusive)

David F. Sandberg is in talks to direct “Shazam,” for New Line, TheWrap has exclusively learned.

Sandberg has “Annabelle 2” the sequel to 2014 supernatural horror film, “Annabelle,” set to be released by New Line on August 11th, 2017.

The Swedish filmmaker broke out with his 2016 debut “Lights Out,” which is based on his 2013 acclaimed horror short of the same name. A sequel to the film is also in the works at New Line.
http://www.thewrap.com/david-f-sandberg-shazam/

Seems like a solid pick, Lights Out was a pretty damn good flick.
Old 02-17-17, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I don't have much interest in Shazam as a character but I like Dwayne Johnson and I imagine the film will do well because of his star power. Sandberg is a decent director it seems too.
Old 03-25-17, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I assume it's for Annabelle 2 (a New Line title) but he was mentioned to direct Shazam so I wonder if he'll be officially announced there as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.