DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/494570-m-night-shyamalans-happening.html)

HE Pennypacker 03-07-07 10:16 AM

M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening"

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

So a few changes is all it took from most studios declining the script to everyone wanting to buy it? Strange. Anyway, that article has really piqued my interest. This'll be his first R-rated film and he'll be teaming up with his Sixth Sense/Unbreakable producer. Many of the signs point to this being his comeback film. The fact that they are going for a Silence of the Lambs & Pan’s Labyrinth tone is what has also gotten me intrigued. I’ve always wondered what Night could do with an R rating. He’s always been holding back with the scares and atmosphere, I have a feeling this will really show off his incredible ability to build suspense.

gmal2003 03-07-07 10:25 AM

A huge (but declining) M. Night fan, I very interested in how this turns out. Unbreakable is my favorite movie, obviously 6th Sense was good, I really liked Signs, The Village was solid, and Lady in the Water was garbage. Here's to M Night's "comeback" film :up:!

Fincher Fan 03-07-07 10:44 AM

Rothman gave good advice? Really? ;)

DVD Josh 03-07-07 11:33 AM

I think a better title would have been "The NOTHING'S Happening".

HE Pennypacker 03-07-07 11:53 AM

Yeah, it's not like anything ever happens in his films. :rolleyes:

Dan1boy 03-07-07 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by gmal2003
A huge (but declining) M. Night fan, I very interested in how this turns out. Unbreakable is my favorite movie, obviously 6th Sense was good, I really liked Signs, The Village was solid, and Lady in the Water was garbage. Here's to M Night's "comeback" film :up:!

sheesh, read my frickin' mind !!

Josh H 03-07-07 12:50 PM

I'll keep a reluctant eye on it. Loved Sixth Sense, liked Unbreakable a lot, didn't care much for Signs, HATED The Village and didn't even bother with Lady in the Water.

So he's got a long way to go to get me to spend in $$$ on his films.

DVD Josh 03-07-07 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Yeah, it's not like anything ever happens in his films. :rolleyes:

You M. Night apologists crack me up. His movies are intentionally slow-moving and plodding until the "twist". That's his style. So roll your eyes all you want, it's just plainly ridiculous to claim otherwise.

Peep 03-07-07 01:04 PM

I’ve always wondered what Night could do with an R rating. He’s always been holding back with the scares and atmosphere, I have a feeling this will really show off his incredible ability to build suspense.

True. Nobody's ever made a scary or suspenseful non-R-rated movie.

:)

Supermallet 03-07-07 02:10 PM

I'll wait for the reviews. They were the best part of Lady In The Water.

awmurray 03-07-07 02:19 PM

Many of the signs point to this being his comeback film.

Not the least of which is that there is nowhere to go but up after Lady in the Water.

HE Pennypacker 03-07-07 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You M. Night apologists crack me up. His movies are intentionally slow-moving and plodding until the "twist". That's his style. So roll your eyes all you want, it's just plainly ridiculous to claim otherwise.

And people who still suggest Night's movies always have “twists" crack me up. He's managed to make three non-twist studio films in his career and yet somehow people still ignore this fact. Indeed it's his style to make slow-moving films, but to suggest nothing actually happens in his films is what is ridiculous. His movies aren’t JUST about the surprises and twists. From my experience, only the people who actively sit through his movies waiting for the big reveal feel that way.

Originally Posted by Peep
True. Nobody's ever made a scary or suspenseful non-R-rated movie.

Obviously you're being sarcastic here. I don't see what part of my post suggested to you that I felt no one has managed to make such a film with anything less than an R rating. When I said “really show off,” I was merely pointing out that we've seen what Night can do with a PG-13 rating with four "scary" films, now it's time to see what he's capable of with a full-blown R rating. If he's very explicit in what he shows us, I'll be disappointed. He's great at getting scares without showing much at all, that is why I'm curious to see what he can do when he has no restrictions.

Originally Posted by awmurray
Not the least of which is that there is nowhere to go but up after Lady in the Water.

Agreed. A dreadful film from beginning to end. James Newton Howard's score though, as usual for a Night flick, was very good.

DVD Josh 03-07-07 02:33 PM

And people who still suggest Night's movies always have “twists" crack me up. He's managed to make three non-twist studio films in his career and yet somehow people still ignore this fact. Indeed it's his style to make slow-moving films, but to suggest nothing actually happens in his films is what is ridiculous. His movies aren’t JUST about the surprises and twists. From my experience, only the people who actively sit through his movies waiting for the big reveal feel that way.

What movies are you watching to say there have been THREE? That's just incorrect.

Sixth Sense - Twist = Bruce is Dead
Unbreakable - Twist = SLJ is behind it all
Signs - Twist = Aliens can't be rained on
Village - Twist = Modern Day
LITW - Twist = MNS really does believe he is responsible for the salvation of mankind (not really a twist, of course)

So that's ONE, ONE movie without a twist. You can call a spade whatever you want (in this case, very little plot development as "suspenseful") but at the end of the day, it's still spade.

Just for the record, I do like MNS and will see this one, just like I have every one before it.

spinning plates 03-07-07 02:37 PM

thanks for the spoilers. i never wanted to watch another m. night movie after only seeing unbreakable.

Giles 03-07-07 02:38 PM

Sixth Sense - Twist = Bruce is Dead

oh thanks, thanks alot :mad:

... ;)

mdc3000 03-07-07 05:54 PM

I read a script review when this was called "The Green Effect" and it sounded really awesome...I hope the changes only improved it, because the review was pretty glowing and very detailed...the movie sounds intriguing and should be his "comeback" film (although, I'm one of those minorities who think The Village is way worse than Lady in the Water). Can't wait for it actually.

riley_dude 03-07-07 10:35 PM

M Night is so over. I have up on him two movies ago and it appears most people gave up on him with Lady in the Water.

Giantrobo 03-07-07 11:10 PM

Shayamalan, I love some of your past films homey but I gotta say this, and I say it 'cause I love you....the jig is up. :lol:

Eplicon 03-07-07 11:37 PM

I am inclined to call M. Night a one-hit wonder as nearly every movie he's done has left me unimpressed. Sorta like Kevin Costner. :)

Fincher Fan 03-08-07 12:18 AM

Signs - Twist = Aliens can't be rained on

That's not a twist. Stupid, but not a twist.

Supermallet 03-08-07 12:31 AM

The "twist" in Signs is that God (read: M. Night Shyamalan) really IS controlling everything. *twirls finger*

Giantrobo 03-08-07 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The "twist" in Signs is that God (read: M. Night Shyamalan) really IS controlling everything. *twirls finger*

I don't know, I think the twist was everything happens for a reason. The preacher's personal conflict with his own faith just made it seem like the movie was about God.

huh? 03-08-07 06:25 AM

I'm looking forward to this movie. I've like all his other movies. People that are looking for a "twist" in his movies are just too lazy to actually see that his characters and themes are very relevant, and that he does a good job of bringing the viewer into the story.

6th Sense is my least favorite of his movies.

Unbreakable is just an awesome movie. His best by far.

Signs is good, I enjoyed the faithless preacher storyline.

The Village i like 2nd most. REALLY enjoy the subtle slap at government and religion. (mostly that a few people in the know control the fears, hopes and dreams of the masses. this is a very powerful theme in this movie).

Lady in the Water was good as well. A bedtime story for adults.

HE Pennypacker 03-08-07 07:03 AM

Shyamalan has too much talent as a filmmaker to simply brush off after a couple of duds (though I believe The Village is his best film). I wonder how long it'll be before most people start showering him with praise again. It's baffling to me the Uwe Boll-like treatment this guy gets when he consistently makes some of the most original mainstream movies in Hollywood. When the summer months are infested with sequels and other dreck ad nauseam, Shyamalan’s films are a breath of fresh air.

DVD Josh 03-08-07 09:26 AM

Shyamalan has too much talent as a filmmaker to simply brush off after a couple of duds.

I like MNS, but this is a strange comment for a guy with only 5 movies to his name. He's batting 2/5 which is not a good track record. Plus, his movies are getting worse, not better, with LITW being on par with anything Uwe Bol has ever done.