Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Reign Over Me (Binder, 2007) — Sandler/Cheadle

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Reign Over Me (Binder, 2007) — Sandler/Cheadle

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-07, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, you're wrong.
Old 03-24-07, 03:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually loved this movie. I did not want it to end even being 2+ hours. I'm not a pussy by any means but this movie made me cry in about 3 parts. The only negative I can say that I have never cared for Liv Tyler and her performance did nothing for me.
Definitely 4.5/5 from me. By far my favorite Sandler movie.
Old 03-24-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This movie started off well but never hit the constant high notes I expected from the exciting, well-cut trailer. The

Spoiler:
whole unloaded-gun thing

seemed way too contrived, as they needed some way for the movie to go forward. The film had a great mix of humor and drama and only got to be maudlin a few times. Binder always handles relationship matters well, and the movie was a nice revisit to Mind of the Married Man.

I give this movie a B+.
Old 03-25-07, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This was a good film, could have been a very good film with some trimming maybe 10-15 minutes from its running time because it sort of peters out at the end, but I did like the bits of humor that writer/director Mike Binder sprinkles throughout the film, giving the main two characters, Alan and Charlie, some room to find themselves again as they re-connect after many years after dental school as roommates. Some of the writing is a little too cute and convenient, but I went with the flow and had an overall good time watching the film.

Don Cheadle (Alan) is solid, and Adam Sandler (Charlie) gets to display some dramatic chops, and also flashing some comedic Sandlerisms once in a while, but his agitated voice can be a little shrill. The female characters aren't as well written as the 2 main characters, and basically provide a supporting framework for these men, both a little adrift (from different directions) as they approach their 40's.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.

Last edited by Patman; 03-25-07 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-25-07, 11:53 AM

This is the best film so far this year and will probally be in my top 5 of the year. You would this they would have released this film in the Fall around October or November.
Old 10-10-07, 10:14 AM

I really, really enjoyed this one. The courtroom scene at the end with the pictures is heartbreaking. Will probably be in my top 5 of the year as well.
Old 10-15-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Just caught this on Blu-Ray.

Good film, but nothing great. I thought the execution could have been a little better - seemed a little aimless at times.

On the plus side, it really made me want to break out my copy of Shadow of the Colossus!
Old 10-20-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just watched it and liked it. Sandler and Chealde are great together, very good acting some nice humor. would be a great flick if it was alittle shorter and the ending was better, I do agree with patman that it does sort of peters out at the end. But still a really good flick. B
Old 12-10-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a surprisingly pleasant film Reign Over Me turned out to be.

I agree that the film ran 10-15 minutes too long, but I've seen films that drag on worse than this one. First off, I must apologize to Don Cheadle, he's a great actor, and after see this and Talk to Me, I give him props. He can play different characters, and puts quite a bit of time and effort into his performances. An underrated actor, for sure. The story was pretty entertaining from start to finish and Sandler's character (Charlie) was very well written, IMO.

Cheadle and Sandler have great chemistry together and they pulled off both some funny scenes and some dramatic scenes very well. I'm not a fan of Jada P. Smith, Donald Sutherland and especially Liv Tyler, but they were all very good supporting cast members in this movie. Still wasn't crazy about Tyler, but they balanced her character out well enough, however. Jada didn't have much screen time in general, so Alan's wife wasn't as well developed as the rest of the cast. Sutherland as Judge Raines was actually pretty good, and dispite me not being a fan, he's a good actor.

Sandler's hasn't quite perfected dramatic acting yet. Ferrell's performance in Stranger Than Fiction is much better. He is getting better, however.

3/5.
Old 12-10-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Just caught this on Blu-Ray.

Good film, but nothing great. I thought the execution could have been a little better - seemed a little aimless at times.
!
Saw the BD this weekend as well. I agree with you. Ran around in alot of circles and never really got much further than where it started.