DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Ron Howard interested in directing American remake of Cache (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/493376-ron-howard-interested-directing-american-remake-cache.html)

PopcornTreeCt 02-22-07 09:56 PM

Ron Howard interested in directing American remake of Cache

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/fs/2...217573000.html

Howard, who has a number of projects in the works, has just added another to his list of potentials.

By Dennis Michael, FilmStew.com

Ron Howard is now looking at Cache. Daily Variety reports Imagine Entertainment has picked up the rights to the French film from Plum Pictures, which had originally optioned the rights to the picture when came to the US in late 2005.

Universal and Imagine Entertainment have bought in with an eye toward reinterpreting the thriller for American audiences, possibly with Howard at the helm. The movie, about a couple terrified by the appearance of a series of increasingly violent videos on their porch, won the director prize at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival for helmer Michael Haneke.

Ron Howard is trying to decide his next step, and he has a fine collection of choices. If he chooses to put off Cache, he could do a prequel to The Da Vinci Code called Angels and Demons, or he could go to work on Frost/Nixon, based on the acclaimed play. And he's got The Look of Real in development, a drama about the garment industry that would star his daughter Bryce Dallas Howard.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!
The safest director in Hollywood doing Cache. Makes me want to throw up.

Fincher Fan 02-22-07 10:03 PM

I hope Akiva Goldsman gets the scripting duties!

Dan1boy 02-23-07 10:34 AM

as long as they stay away from 'Oldboy', I'm happy...they can remake 'Cache' for all I care, I thought it was just terrible and don't understand the acclaim it received (and still receives) from here and other boards...what did I miss?

The Bus 02-23-07 01:08 PM

I can't wait for Hans Zimmer's delightful score to this movie.

wendersfan 02-23-07 01:41 PM

Right now, more than anything else, I want to kill Opie Cunningham.

d2cheer 02-23-07 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
as long as they stay away from 'Oldboy', I'm happy...they can remake 'Cache' for all I care, I thought it was just terrible and don't understand the acclaim it received (and still receives) from here and other boards...what did I miss?

Agree!!

BTW you didn't miss anything...

wendersfan 02-23-07 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Agree!!

BTW you didn't miss anything...

...except one of the best movies of the past decade.

sundog 02-23-07 03:08 PM

"Ugh" has never been more appropiate.

Just the suggestion of Ron Howard remaking this ignites my imagination of a film stripped of all subtext in the name of false suspense and "thriller" conventions.

And Mel Gibson screaming "Give me back my son!"

Whatever. They'll do what they do and I will be all to happy to pay it no mind, except for what I am now posting.

I will say, after everything I've seen from Ron Howard, that I have no confidence in his sensibilities to craft a picture with even a fraction of subtle menace and reflexiveness that Haneke imbued into the original.

porieux 02-23-07 04:14 PM

"american remake"? What a stupid idea. What's wrong with subtitles?
Hopefully he will just retire instead.

Rival11 01-27-08 01:56 PM

I finally finished watching Cache today - I started watching this flick around this time last year but never finished it (saw it a store last night for $7.00 and picked up) It grabbed my attention from the bits and pieces I saw.

Well, like others....I have no idea why this film received the praise it did. I could have made this thing. This is one of those flicks that people get a little too excited over for reasons that exist in their own imaginations - as a whole, this movie was ridiculous. Too bad because there many opportunities to make something work with what was given.

Opie can reamake this if he wants. He prob picked this one becasue he knows he can water it down even more for the mainstream audience, attach some goofy & tired thriller element to it and call it a day.

It's been almost a year since this thread so who knows.

sundog 01-27-08 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11
...This is one of those flicks that people get a little too excited over for reasons that exist in their own imaginations...

Damned movie... allowing the viewer to form his or her own opinion.

I hate it when that happens...

Rival11 01-27-08 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by sundog
Damned movie... allowing the viewer to form his or her own opinion.

I hate it when that happens...

Glad you responded with that as I was hoping someone would.

Unforutnately for this film, It leaves absolutely nothing for the viewer to interpret - not one damn thing. There is no starting point where the viewer can begin because way too many details were left out - it makes you rely 100% on your imagination which is a complete cop-out by the director. ANYONE can pull that off.

sundog 01-27-08 06:06 PM

I find that statement hyperbolic.

The essence of Cache is in viewing and seeing and not seeing. Haneke's static compositions inform the character's own limits in their perception of the world, of those around them, and of themselves. The plot that develops centers around Binoche and Auteil's characters put in a position of viewing that they cannot ignore. And the ramifications of their denial or awareness has very concrete repercussions portrayed in the film.

The specifics are left open ended, but the mood and feel of the film is very definite.

Rival11 01-27-08 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by sundog
I find that statement hyperbolic.

The essence of Cache is in viewing and seeing and not seeing. Haneke's static compositions inform the character's own limits in their perception of the world, of those around them, and of themselves. The plot that develops centers around Binoche and Auteil's characters put in a position of viewing that they cannot ignore. And the ramifications of their denial or awareness has very concrete repercussions portrayed in the film.

The specifics are left open ended, but the mood and feel of the film is very definite.

Yes, you can view it in that context and I did, but it fell pretty flat as far as to where it wanted to go and what it really wanted to do.

What an excellent idea to have the stalking done with video tapes, what a great idea to mock the man with images he did not want to confess to (at least right away) - yes I agree, all of that is great (and was excuted beyond well) but as a whole, the film strolls along at much of a "too open pace" it relaxes and settles with itself. It gets messy, it gets boring, a lot of people tend to start picking apart what should have stayed and what should have been cut out. The symbolism in this film (and there's a ton of it) is never put to good use as well. The character development is actually pretty solid but even in that area there are some giant holes (specifically with the involvement of Pierre). I actually reall loved the directing in this film (some good solid streamlining I haven't seen in a while).

These are just my views and I keep dragging this a little further because of what this film could have been.

cupcake jesus 01-27-08 07:44 PM

The only way this is good is if Ron Howard films a TV playing the Cache DVD.

cheers,

-the Jesus

inri222 01-27-08 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
...except one of the best movies of the past decade.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Zen Peckinpah 01-27-08 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
The only way this is good is if Ron Howard films a TV playing the Cache DVD.

cheers,

-the Jesus

Even better, if the TV is being watched by the Bluth family.

invisiblegt 01-27-08 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by inri222
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think I'm definitely going to have to second this. A slow, methodic film that understood where it wanted to go, and allowed itself to be deliberate in its intentions.

sundog 01-27-08 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11
Yes, you can view it in that context and I did, but it fell pretty flat as far as to where it wanted to go and what it really wanted to do.

I can't fault you for this view. One thing I've noted about Haneke's films: his motives can be... dubious. I'm similarly ambivalent about his The Piano Teacher. However, I do believe he is one of the most assured filmmakers working today, and always worth a viewing.