Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saw 4: Director & Writers announced

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-20-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darren Lynn Bousman, who directed Saw 2 and Saw 3, has been announced as the director of Saw 4.

The writers are the two guys who wrote the movie "Feast". Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton. Production begins in April. release is this October.
Old 02-20-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. So it looks like we'll be getting one every year from now on
Old 02-20-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Every year until they stop making money, yes. These movies have such low production budgets that they could still do rather poorly and turn a profit. I think Saw 2 only cost 5 million dollars to make.
Old 02-20-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no problem with this. I do have to wonder what the plot will be though.
Old 02-20-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From what i've read, the plot will bring in elements such as
Spoiler:
the tape that jigsaw poured wax over at the end of Saw 3, and also showing the involvement of Obi from Saw 2, the guy who helped Jigsaw drug and kidnap his victims but who later became Jigsaw's victim in the furnace.
Old 02-20-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I have no problem with this. I do have to wonder what the plot will be though.
Yep, looking forward to these as well. I wish we could get yearly Final Destinations too, since those always involve annoying teens getting squashed.
Old 02-20-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved parts 1 and 2, hated 3. I really hope 4 improves over the last one.
Old 02-20-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to see Bousman's returning. I'll definitely be looking forward to this.
Old 02-20-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Was a fan of the original, 2 was horrible and 3 was almost as bad, can't say I have any urge to see another entry.
Old 02-20-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they have gotten better with each film and cant wait until 4. I was leary because DLB said he was done and a new director would take over 4,5,6. I hope he stays to finish the other 2 films. In the commentary on S3, the producers said that 4-6 have already been plotted out before filming 3 so they would have a way to continue the story without making it up as they go. They already know who is coming back from saw 1 and 2 and where its going. Im very excited now that the news of DLB return to the series!
Old 02-20-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I dunno how I really feel about it. When Saw III was announced with Bousman I was unhappy because I thought it was cool that the series had the potential to be this springboard for first-time directors, and now he's really ruining it. Plus, he's also going back on his word that he was done. In theory, that should mean the script was so good he decided he really wanted to do it despite what he said before, but then again, as someone on another site brought up, he's probably just doing it to get his musical Repo! greenlit with the budget he wants.

I suppose as long as he's not on autopilot, I'll enjoy it. Ever since I got to see the first one at a prescreening with Wan and Whannell, the Saw movies are a tradition for me and I did feel mildly disappointed at the seeming prospect that there wouldn't be one this year (seeing as it took them awhile to announce a director and writer). I think they're amusing and I don't see why anyone would bother to really just hate on them if they didn't like all of them because they're not aspiring to be high art and you can really just ignore them if you don't like them.
Old 02-20-07, 05:15 PM

I liked the first 2 (haven't seen 3 yet). Glad we'll be seeing 4 in October.
Old 02-20-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is one of the few Trilogies were all the movies have been good so far, saw 1 was excellent and saw 3 was the best out of the 3 in my opinion. saw 2 was my least favorite but it was still a good movie and i like Donnie Walberg from Boomtown.
I hope this series doesn't turn out to be a friday the 13th mess, through i liked most of the friday the 13th movies, and thought that jason x was half decent.
lets hoping that they don't fuck this series up!-i always wait to buy the saw movies on dvd so i wont see this one till its DVD release date.
Old 02-21-07, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've enjoyed all 3, so hopefully the 4th continues the trend.
Old 02-21-07, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nateman241
This is one of the few Trilogies were all the movies have been good so far
It's one of the few franchises where the films have been improving as each one goes on. Granted, it also might win the prize for being the weakest horror film franchise out there at the moment.

Darren Lynn Bousman back on board?

Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton? Not too sure. Feast had a great concept and some brilliant ideas that could've fused some new life into the genre, but the execution fucking blew.
Old 02-22-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hope Leigh Whannel has a say in what goes down in Saw 4 and the others, since he's been the primary writer of all three so far - he knows the series.
Old 02-22-07, 11:47 PM

I think they have web space purchased through #6.
Old 02-23-07, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vipper II
I hope Leigh Whannel has a say in what goes down in Saw 4 and the others, since he's been the primary writer of all three so far - he knows the series.
With him and Wan on as executive producers and with Bousman staying on board as director, I'm sure there's a solid chance of that happening.
Old 02-23-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not his script, it's somebody else's. Looks like his involvement in the storyline will be minimal, though i'm sure he'll be giving notes.
Old 02-23-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Darren Lynn Bousman comments on being the director for part 4 over at Bloody-Disgusting.com :

"SO after I have publicly gone on the record NUMEROUS times saying I WILL NOT return to direct SAW IV is it possibly true that, indeed I will be returning??? Ok... I should have never opened my big mouth... As I have now learned NEVER say NEVER... The rumors are in fact true... "I'LL BE BACK" (in my bad Arnold Schwarzenegger impression).

First off, let me dispel some rumors.... REPO! THE GENETIC OPERA IS HAPPENING!!!! (REPO OPERA myspace page is going up shortly) REPO is a ROCK OEPRA! Thus it is entirely sung... meaning over 35 songs have to be recorded and mixed PRIOR to us filming... That is going to take about four months... On top of that - I want to use the same crew as from the SAW films... That pushes me another two months... That means the EARLIEST I could shoot REPO would be September...

So here I have this gaping whole for the next 8 months before I could even begin shooting... I freak out if I am not constantly doing something... I was approached with Saw as an idea to fill that void... At first I turned it down just on principle... I have been WAY to lucky with the past films to warrant or RISK me coming back... And then I read the script... I read the draft of SAW IV... My first reaction....

FUCKING DAMNIT!!!!

This script was good... no... not good... GREAT... I was totally prepared for this script to JUMP THE SHARK - - I mean - we are on our THIRD sequel - where in fucks sake to you go from here? In the case of this script... UP!

I met with writers to give them my two cents... The next thing I knew I was all giddy like a school girl about where the film and the franchise was headed...

SHOW ME WHERE TO SIGN I screamed inside Twisted Pictures quite office...

There are those who have sent me emails asking "Are you fucking crazy? You're doing IV?" Well, yes, I am crazy... But I would be INSANE if I didn't do it... I get to work with people I love - make disgusting traps that spray the red stuff - and have an arsenal of material to offend, well, everybody... Plus, who else is going to let me get away with the sick shit that I do???

SAW IV is not a step backwards – it's a leap forward…"
Old 02-23-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seantn
It's not his script, it's somebody else's. Looks like his involvement in the storyline will be minimal, though i'm sure he'll be giving notes.
It's not his script? Doesn't mean shit in Hollywood. With Bousman still leading the ship and the two creators on as executive producers, they can make changes to whatever they feel like.
Old 02-23-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, no shit.
Old 02-23-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw 7 - Jigsaw is Dead. No really. We meant it. Honestly. No? Damn.
Old 07-19-07, 08:55 AM
Banned

Good freaking lord. They are now talking about Saw 5 and 6.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/806/806035p1.html

July 18, 2007 - David Hackl, the production designer on Saw II and Saw IV, is reportedly set to direct Saw V and Saw VI for Lionsgate.

Hackl was once rumored to be directing Saw IV before Saw III's Darren Lynn Bousman returned. Hackl is also serving as second unit director on Saw IV, a function that he served on Saw II as well.

Bloody-Disgusting.com broke the news about Hackl being attached to direct both Saw V and the heretofore unannounced Saw VI, which clearly suggests that Lionsgate sees plenty of life left in the horror franchise.
Old 07-19-07, 09:19 AM

I don't see IV being nearly as successful as the first three. Given that, I see V and VI being straight-to-DVD.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.