Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

George Lucas says Empire is the worst Star Wars movie...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.mcnblogs.com/thehotblog/a...2/oh_yeah.html

The blogger was at a luncheon where Lucas was presenting a publicist award to Sid Ganis.

He says Ganis was the reason why ESB is so highly regarded, even though it's the worst one...

Enjoy!
Old 02-18-07, 08:46 PM

Here's another link to it:
http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/02/11/...ar-wars-movie/
Old 02-18-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is only because he keeps turning The Phantom Menace off halfway through like everyone else.
Old 02-18-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stopped reading at this part, "Geirge Lucas...."
Old 02-18-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
At least that writer brings up the possibility he was joking around.
Old 02-18-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm pretty sure he was joking.
Old 02-18-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Even if he wasn't joking, there's no person in the world with a worse opinon regarding Star Wars than GL himself.
Old 02-18-07, 10:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Fairly certain he was kidding around. Sounds like the kind of joke someone would tell at that kind of event.
Old 02-18-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Even if he wasn't joking, there's no person in the world with a worse opinon regarding Star Wars than GL himself.
So if he was joking than that means he does think TESB is the best Star Wars film, but his opinion is worthless, so it really isn't, so really he might be telling the truth, but if it is truthfully the worst to him then...

My brain muscles hurt.
Old 02-18-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
This is fanboy fodder...have fun guys lol
Old 02-18-07, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
This is fanboy fodder...have fun guys lol
If by that you mean it was made up, the guy who wrote it (the original link to The Hot Blog is a Hollywood insider's site) has nothing to do with Star Wars at all. The guy didn't even make any sort of issue out of it. It was just an afterthought.
Old 02-18-07, 11:35 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
If by that you mean it was made up, the guy who wrote it (the original link to The Hot Blog is a Hollywood insider's site) has nothing to do with Star Wars at all. The guy didn't even make any sort of issue out of it. It was just an afterthought.
It was a single sentence taken out of context. That is all.

Not sure what you are trying go with.

Enjoy!
Old 02-18-07, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Wow, as a star wars fan it's pretty easy to see he was joking around and the sentence was taken out of context.

Mountain out of a mole hill.
Old 02-19-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going with "joking" as well.
Old 02-19-07, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Story-wise, these are likeable sci-fi movies, but viewing the skills of the writer-director, none of them are very good. oh yeah, learn how to cast fool!
Old 02-19-07, 04:25 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
By saying it is the 'worst' one, he is essentially saying it is the 'best' one, and that is the joke. For however Lucas says alot of times the fans take SW too seriously, in some ways he is right, but he knows what the fans are thinking, and that is why he put out the OOT on DVD after 3 years earlier saying, "Those versions don't exist anymore."
Old 02-19-07, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I'm going with "joking" as well.

It sounds real to me!!!!11
Old 02-19-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
QFT
Old 02-19-07, 09:02 AM

If he was kidding, it was in bad taste. Don't make jokes about the greatest movie ever made(the original version, not the SE).

If he's not kidding, then this should be indisputable evidence that the man has truly lost his mind. The prequel trilogy was an unmitigated disaster from a creative standpoint, but at least we could chalk that up to his abilities as a storyteller having deteriorated over the course of 20 years. To crap on Empire's legacy shows he's lost any semblance of good taste in film.
Old 02-19-07, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow
It was a single sentence taken out of context. That is all.

Not sure what you are trying go with.

Enjoy!
What does that mean?

I found something mildly interesting about Star Wars, and wanted to share it, knowing how much people go nuts about these movies.

Why else would I put 'Enjoy!' at the end of my initial post?

I don't know or care whether Lucas was joking or not. It's just funny to me because I find it hard to believe anyone would take Lucas' opinion seriously regarding what's good or bad about a Star Wars film.

Take it easy.
Old 02-19-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't remember people saying that Empire was the best movie until Clerks came out....
Old 02-19-07, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I don't remember people saying that Empire was the best movie until Clerks came out....
For me, Empire became my favorite in 1993 when I bought the Definitive Collection Laserdisc box set and revisited all 3 films. I was older and more able to appreciate the dark tone and downbeat ending. And not surprisingly, Jedi which used to be my favorite dropped down to #3 on my list. That was due to the lazy acting mostly, not the Ewoks who I still love to this day.

I definitely think people starting ragging on Jedi a lot more after Clerks came out. As if suddenly the idea of a bunch of a puppets in the first 30 minutes made it a crappy movie. If that's the case, does the Cantina scene in Star Wars render that a mediocre film?
Old 02-19-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Doughboy
I definitely think people starting ragging on Jedi a lot more after Clerks came out. As if suddenly the idea of a bunch of a puppets in the first 30 minutes made it a crappy movie. If that's the case, does the Cantina scene in Star Wars render that a mediocre film?
I think the "Muppets" Smith was referring to are probably the Ewoks, and not the creatures in Jabba's palace. . .
Old 02-19-07, 02:41 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I know for most people like myself growing up with the OT in the late 70's/early 80's, our rankings went like this:

Star Wars was the best, the movie was that special to my generation. ESB was liked, but the dark tone to kids my age was a bit much. ROTJ we all loved as much as SW, cause it tied everything up, and had a cool space battle on DSII.

Fast forward 10-15 years, and when we are all in highschool/college in the 90's: Star Wars is still great, and those moments like Luke looking at the binary sunset & blowing up the deathstar still hold up even today. All of the sudden, we realize ESB is fucking great movie, cause we are older now and appreciate more drama, a darker tone, and the ending that leaves you hanging is not that anymore as you can watch ROTJ on video the next day. ROTJ is good, but you can now see its flaws. Ford & Fisher are going through the motions, Jabbas palace is a bit too long, and the Ewoks are too kiddy, but the Throne Room Scenes still rock.

Every SW fan I know think SW/ESB are the classics, and ROTJ is #3, and the PT has its moments but overall just doesn't compete with the OT movies. I have yet to meet a PT gusher in real life, only on the internet.
Old 02-19-07, 03:02 PM

Until 1999, I always considered ROTJ to be the weakest leg of the trilogy. Then the prequels came along and made ROTJ seem like Shakespeare. I would gladly watch it on a continous loop for 6 months straight than watch Phantom Menace again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.