DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   "Spies Like Us" Sequel (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/492877-spies-like-us-sequel.html)

Thrush 02-18-07 01:01 AM

"Spies Like Us" Sequel

When the studios head to the vaults for inspiration…. You never expect them to come back with an old Chevy Chase/Dan Ayrkoyd movie, do ya?

Inspiration has definitely dipped in Burbank, with Warner Bros championing a remake of a modestly successful John Landis comedy.

The film that introduced Donna Dixon’s buxom bosom the world, “Spies Like Us” (1985), a two-hander starring Chevy Chase and Dan Ayrkoyd as a couple of loser misfits who dwell in the lower ranks of the Central Intelligence Agency, is about to get the remake treatment. Warner teams with Imagine (yep, Brian Grazer’s a producer on it; change of pace for him, hey?) and Thunder Road on the pic.

Responsible for adding new life to the old concept are writers Alec Berg, Jeff Schaffer and Dave Mandel. The trio worked on the 2004 comedy “Euro Trip”, which wasn’t too bad, so ya never know… this might actually turn out all right.

Still, apprehensive sweat beads drip from the hairline

http://www.moviehole.net/news/200702...the_spies.html

I love the original and wouldn't mind seeing Akroyd and Chase in a sequel. However, I fear that the sequel would follow the hollywood trend with these kinds of projects and be more of an update/remake. Starring a couple of annoying young "comic" actors. Like Ryan Reynolds and Johny Knoxville or Ashton Kutcher and Dane Cook ::shudders:: .

i86time 02-18-07 01:40 AM

Nothing good can come from this. This was one of those movies that, despite how it looks on paper, was comic gold because of the cast. Is this one gonna have some fools trekking into Afghanistan to fight would-be terrorists by way of an air drop into southeast Asia? I wonder what song they'll use instead of Soul Finger. I was begrudgingly acquiescent to let these Hollywood fools continue to ruin most other marginally and semi-successful 1960-80's films with these horrible rehashes, but this cannot stand.

So, we owe them a cow.
Where do we get one?

Michael Corvin 02-18-07 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by i86time
Nothing good can come from this. This was one of those movies that, despite how it looks on paper, was comic gold because of the cast.

agreed. Spies is one of my all time favorite comedies. No current hot young actor can pull off the deadpan humor and delivery that Chase & Akroyd make look so simple.

I can't picture anyone delivering lines like, "Here's a picture of my sister. If you let us go you can have her. I hear she's quite good." and making it work.

If it takes a lame sequel to get a cleaned up anamorphic release of the original though, sign me up.

bloopbleep 02-18-07 09:18 AM

they can get the two guys from employee of the month to do it.
just goes to show you how desparate hollywood has become looking for new ideas.a remake of a remake of a remake should be put in some of these hollywood movies.

DJLinus 02-18-07 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
If it takes a lame sequel to get a cleaned up anamorphic release of the original though, sign me up.

That's my take, as well. This movie's DVD is one of the most pathetic that I own.

jdslater1 02-18-07 03:20 PM

I still love the exam scene in this film!
Not knowing what KGB stands for? I still don't but I'm not trying to be a spy!
Also, no one but Ackroyd could deliver the long tecno speeches, apart from Ryan Reynelds nowadays.

mijorico 02-18-07 03:30 PM

Eurotrip "wasn't too bad"? I must have seen a different Eurotrip then.

GoldenJCJ 02-18-07 11:56 PM

I'm all for a remake (which I'm certain will star Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson) for the sole reason of getting a new SE DVD of the original upon the remakes release.

What's a dickfer?
Spoiler:
to pee with

Michael Corvin 02-20-07 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'm all for a remake (which I'm certain will star Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson) for the sole reason of getting a new SE DVD of the original upon the remakes release.

What's a dickfer?
Spoiler:
to pee with

This movie is just FILLED with brilliant quotes.

What is your objective?
My objective? Well I object to taking a girl out, you know, and buying her dinner and then she won't put out for you.

That whole scene has to be my favorite comedic scene in a movie ever.

Again, with both of these quotes I cannot see any modern actor delivering those lines and making them work in any fashion.

Michael Sheridan 02-20-07 04:13 PM

Doctor? Doctor.

JordanGLC 02-20-07 04:18 PM

This was the first movie where I, after seeing it, thought "they showed all the funny moments in the commercials". No interest at all in a sequel.

Ronnie Dobbs 03-16-07 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Thrush
http://www.moviehole.net/news/200702...the_spies.html

I love the original and wouldn't mind seeing Akroyd and Chase in a sequel.

Have you seen Aykrod and Chase recently? Chase was on Larry King and he doesn't look good at all. Plus neither of them are box office draws anymore.

zooiiks 03-16-07 08:56 AM

Millbarge: "Take one more step and I start swinging!"

Fitzhume: "You hear that? He's threatening you! Let's get him!"

The Bus 03-16-07 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by mijorico
Eurotrip "wasn't too bad"? I must have seen a different Eurotrip then.

It was entertaining as I was waking up a Saturday morning and caught it on cable. The pope scene was hilarious.

I would not see any movie associated with it, or its sequel unless I was in the same situation.

mijorico 03-16-07 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
It was entertaining as I was waking up a Saturday morning and caught it on cable. The pope scene was hilarious.

I would not see any movie associated with it, or its sequel unless I was in the same situation.

I just found it to be such a lazy movie.

tommyp007 03-16-07 11:49 AM

There's a thousand dollars in my wallet if you promise not to make this sequel.

or maybe there isn't.

Ronnie Dobbs 03-16-07 12:08 PM

Will Arnett and Andy Richter would be good if they were going straight to video.