Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody Seen "Music and Lyrics"??

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-15-07, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore. I really hope this is good. I finally watched "The Holiday" because I love Jude Law and Kate Winslet, and I was not impressed. I hope this is better.
Old 02-15-07, 07:50 PM

Yea I was wondering if anyone had seen this too. I was an extra in this movie during the concert scene. It was filmed at Nassau Coliseum here on Long Island. While filming this, it didn't seem like my type of movie but I'm interested to see what other people thought of it. The best part about being an extra in this movie was that I got to meet Haley Bennet (Cora in the movie) and man is she extremely attractive and actually very nice and down to earth.
Old 02-16-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was alright. The wife and I saw it last night. ** out of *****. Hugh was good and that is about it.
Old 02-17-07, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was OK. Predictable of course, but Hugh and Drew are very likeable and charming, though they didn't quite have the chemistry. Since you like them both, I think you'd like it enough. I thought the song they write together isn't very good, though!
Old 02-17-07, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by B.A.
It was alright. The wife and I saw it last night. ** out of *****. Hugh was good and that is about it.
Took me a minute to see you weren't swearing or something, and covering it up with asterisks.
Old 02-17-07, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I found Hugh Grant very amusing in this film, and Drew Barrymore reprises a cute, but somewhat neurotic and emotionally wounded character, and they are good together, though the chemistry isn't quite on the level of former Sandler/Barrymore pairings.

While it's predictable, the performances overcomes its script, and provides a pleasant movie-going experience, especially if you enjoy Grant and Barrymore.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 02-19-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hugh Grant is my guilty pleasure actor. I see all his films. I know he's not Olivier but he's a loveable handsome dork that I always wish I could have been. Well at least I have the dork part down.
Old 05-05-07, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Caught this on DVD. I thought it was well worth my time. It's not a movie I would want to own, but I am glad I rented it at least. It's one of those movies I can see myself stopping to watch on TV in the future from time to time. It's genuinely funny in places, I thought it was safe but fun, and though I agree the chemistry between Grant and Barrymore didn't work for me, I thought the movie held up well enough.

Any movie that introduces us to this stunning beauty isn't so bad in my book.

Old 05-06-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's one of those movies that I'm looking forward to watch on a 3hrs flight.
Old 05-06-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Patman
I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
When it comes to criticism, a B- isn't too bad when it refers to such flicks.
Old 05-07-07, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Pressplay
It's one of those movies that I'm looking forward to watch on a 3hrs flight.
... this is exactly the kind of film that fits in with other flight showings. Generic and forgettable. Wait, maybe not entirely forgettable because I couldn't get that song out of my head for two days (not a compliment!)
Old 07-08-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got this from the library over the weekend because 1) I like Hugh Grant and 2) Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne wrote the music. The movie was cute, but nothing special. Maybe I would've liked it better had someone else played the female lead (I really don't like Drew Barrymore).

Most of the music, though, was great, IMO. "Pop Goes My Heart" will be etched on brain for a while (the very 80s video for that song was hilarious, too).

Old 07-09-07, 12:33 AM

i went into it without expecting much, and after it was over i wasnt disapointed, it was slightly above average. nothing special or oscar worthy but enough to keep you entertained for the time being.
Old 07-09-07, 01:11 AM

The songs were actually pretty good, particularly "Way Back Into Love" and "Pop Goes My Heart" but also some of the Wham-sounding ballads Hugh's character had. I wish the movie had been better though. I didn't find Hugh and Drew to have any chemistry together. I thought Drew's character in general was pretty irritating. Not one of the better romantic comedies of the past couple of years.
Old 07-09-07, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really enjoyed this flick.
Old 07-09-07, 08:28 AM

When I first saw a preview for this movie I couldn't belive they were pair Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore together, but I was plesantly surprised how much I liked it. As others have said not the greatest but cute, and I love the Pop Goes My Heart song, I watched it like 3 wks ago and still find myself singing it.
Old 07-09-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lol. It's funny that flight showings were mentioned, as I saw this film a couple weeks ago on my flight back from China.

It's exactly what you'd expect. Cookie-cutter romantic comedy formula.
Old 07-09-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw it. I like Hugh Grant RomComs and I love most things with Drew. This wasn't as good as I thought it would be but it wasn't bad and I'd watch it again. I loved the girl who played Drew's sister(3rd Rock) because she's always funny in her roles and the guy that played Hugh's manager was funny too.

I also loved the Pop Diva chick.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-09-07 at 09:01 AM.