DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Baltimore's Senator Theatre to be sold at foreclosure auction: Feb.21 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/491933-baltimores-senator-theatre-sold-foreclosure-auction-feb-21-a.html)

Giles 02-08-07 09:56 AM

Baltimore's Senator Theatre to be sold at foreclosure auction: Feb.21

Historic Senator Theatre to be sold at auction

from The Senator's forum board:

Tom 'The Senator' guy here.

Sorry to be away from the forum but there have been many demands on my time lately. As you may imagine, this situation is frankly terrifying and although we are determined to prevail in some fashion it's a very dicey situation. I am involved in ongoing talks behind-the-scenes to obtain sufficient funds to meet this challenge in two weeks, I cannot report at this juncture that these discussions will come to fruition.

It is wonderful that so many of you are stepping up with offers of financial assistance. We have been blindsided by the curious manner in which our lender is handling this situation, and as a result we are now behind the eight-ball as far as setting up methods for recieving donations to assist us in preventing the auction of The Senator.

We are quickly trying to sort out our options. In the interim I should post any checks made out to
"The Senator Theatre SOS fund" and sent to:

The Senator Theatre
5904 York Road
Baltimore, MD 21212

We'll start the ball rolling and be very much appreciated. We will be working with our site operators in the morning to see what needs to occur for us to be able to receive donations through senator.com.

There are so many things I would like to get into tonight but I have been up for almost two days at this point and fading fast. Wednesday is filled with meetings so I must get some rest if I am to be able to meet the challenges ahead.

Please continue to offer us your input and suggestions as to what we can do together to help insure that we can meet the challenge. It seems that we are all of like mind that The Senator is an extraordinary jewel of an historic movie house and it must not go under the gavel on Wednesday 2/21.

May the force be with us on this one.

Regards, Tom

Birrman54 02-08-07 10:04 AM

wow I had no idea, I haven't been there in years. I think the last show I saw was the re-release of the Star Wars SE back in the 90s.

Giles 02-08-07 10:21 AM

the last time I was there was when they had Sony's Eight Channel surround system installed for Immortal Beloved

Giles 02-21-07 12:29 PM

here's the outcome:

WITH YOUR HELP,
WE CROSSED THE FINISH LINE!

Spontaneous donations and expressions of support began on February 6th and expanded beyond our community at an astounding rate across the nation and to Europe and The UK. Thanks to over 2500 of you who selflessly donated to the "Save Our Senator" fund the auction sale has been averted and we want to express our enormous gratitude for the dramatic outpouring of support.

In the coming days we will be posting information about our plans to help insure that The Senator Theatre will never again become perched on such a perilous precipice. The suggestions that many of you have forwarded to us will be evaluated and utilized to forward our goal of achieving an economically vital and debt free Senator Theatre.

We appreciate the passion with which our supporters have rallied around the beloved Senator Theatre and its ownership and staff at a critical moment in its rich history. We learned though how easily a supporter's "Team Senator" zeal can trigger disdain for what appears to be an attacking nemesis.

It is important to note that it is quite unfair for First Mariner Bank to be vilified or blamed for what occurred. In fact the bank's representatives were quite friendly to us throughout the process, marveled as we did over the dramatic outpouring of support and it's apparent that they are as happy as we are that this situation was resolved prior to an auction sale.

Thanks again for being there for us at such a precarious time and please stay tuned for what's to come. It's all good.

See you at the movies!

Regards, Tom Kiefaber

:thumbsup:

Rypro 525 02-21-07 12:36 PM

Yay! I've seen the Matrix Reloaded (you would have thought it was the best movie ever made the way the opening night crowd ate certain parts of the movie up and several cheer points), and the LOTR trilogy tuesday which played the EE's for the first 2 and the Premiere of ROTK all in one day (there were two 1 hour intermissions between movies)

Vipper II 02-22-07 07:34 AM

While it's nice that the theater was saved at last minute, its track record would suggest that it's going to be all for naught farther down the road. This wasn't the first time Kiefaber has been in this situation, so I highly doubt he's going to all of a sudden become a great business man and manage money a little better than he has.