Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Dead Silence"...new film from the director of Saw (Child's Play fans rejoice!)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-03-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.deadsilencemovie.net

Trailer looks great! One question though, Universal will release this but not Seed of Chucky? Hmm...
Old 02-03-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to seeing this.
Old 02-04-07, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like fun. I enjoyed Saw, so hopefully they can make this just as enjoyable.
Old 02-04-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It makes me happy that James Wan didn't simply make a remake of something else (and i'm sure he was offered one after Saw)
Old 02-04-07, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
Trailer looks great! One question though, Universal will release this but not Seed of Chucky? Hmm...
It's been sitting on the shelf for over a year. Universal is only giving this a marginal release for that sweet first weekend horror action.

To me, it looks HORRIBLE. Like Saw, but with Barbies.
Old 02-05-07, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
It makes me happy that James Wan didn't simply make a remake of something else (and i'm sure he was offered one after Saw)
IIRC, he was offered a remake of The Blob. Thankfully he was smart enough to pass.
Old 02-05-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by breadlymoore
It's been sitting on the shelf for over a year. Universal is only giving this a marginal release for that sweet first weekend horror action.
Almost more like two years considering the film ended production during the summer of 05.
Old 02-05-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So once a film is finished filming it is instantly on the shelf? They don't have to edit, add music, re-record dialogue, re-shoot scenes, put on credits, do test screenings, etc...?

It's been on the shelf about a year, i'd say. They finished filming summer of 2005, probably finished up with the film either spring/summer of 2006, and it's coming out March 2007.
Old 02-05-07, 12:24 PM

Post production doesn't normally take a year.
Old 02-05-07, 01:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I like Saw and killer doll movies, but this trailer isn't doing much for me. I'm getting a Darkness Falls vibe from it. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 02-05-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, the movie finished filming in July '05...Let's say post production was 6 months. Finished in January '06. Comes out in March '07. About 1 year of sitting on the shelf.

I'm not saying that the film hasn't been on the shelf for a while, it has, but not 2 years.

Last edited by Seantn; 02-05-07 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-05-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Iam not to excited by this trailer. Definite rental when it hits DVD.
Old 02-05-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

looks sick! (in a good way)
Old 02-05-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seantn
Okay, the movie finished filming in July '05...Let's say post production was 6 months. Finished in January '06. Comes out in March '07. About 1 year of sitting on the shelf.

I'm not saying that the film hasn't been on the shelf for a while, it has, but not 2 years.
Considering these guys have been involved with a franchise where post-production has only taken 4-5 months per film and the budget isn't much more than the last franchise outing ($20 million compared to $14 million), yeah, I would say it's been on the shelf for a while. It probably could've been out Late 2005/Early 2006, not near mid-2007.
Old 02-05-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw a preview for this before Smokin' Aces this weekend... holy crap that looked like a mess, I'm not surprised it's been sitting around a while. I got really excited when it said it would be a "new experience" from the writer/director of Saw. I don't know what the hell I thought that would mean, but an odd doll movie wasn't it. The preview kept showing shots of the ghost lady, but the dolls were always the scenery until the end of the preview. Lots of laughter in the theater during the preview too, it did not go over very well.
Old 02-06-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The film is now actually being pushed up to March 16th...

...only because Fox Atomic bumped back The Hills Have Eyes 2 to March 23rd.
Old 02-20-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's probably best not to put the movie title in quotes, because it wouldn't show up in the search for me when I only typed in Dead Silence, and not "Dead Silence".

Anyway, Leigh Wannel was talking with Fangoria and he did comment on the delay that the film has had in coming out:

He’s also happy with DEAD SILENCE, which he scripted and Wan directed for Universal release March 16—about two years after it first went before the cameras. “Yeah, it was a while ago, and it had some teething problems, just because it was our first time working with a studio. It was definitely our first experience with the kind of filmmaking-by-committee thing that happens on that level. I mean, Universal was terrific, but we definitely had to make some adjustments, take our training wheels off and start learning how to write for a studio. There was definitely some times when it was tough, but the end result is great, I really like it.”

DEAD SILENCE, which deals with the legend of a long-dead ventriloquist and her malevolent effect on a small town, was initially billed as a 180-degree turn from the grisliness of SAW to a more subtle, “quiet” kind of horror. The trailer visible at the movie’s official website promises lots of in-your-face frights and CGI, but Whannell says that while “the trailer looks more action-packed, if you watch the film, it actually is pretty low-key. There’s not too much gore in it at all; it’s not really that type of film. It’s more of a throwback to your classic Hammer horror-type movies. Every fog machine they had available in Toronto, was used on the set of this film. It’s really old-school in that respect.”
Old 03-15-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

who's going this weekend?
Old 03-15-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Apparently this thing isn't being screened for critics.
Old 03-15-07, 07:07 PM
Banned by request

Pass.
Old 03-16-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few friends and I caught a matinee screening this afternoon.

There's a good reason the film has been sitting on the shelf for a year and why Universal failed to screen it for critics.

It's because it sucked. Easily the worst film I've seen all year (which I'm sure won't be the case next week when I go watch The Hills Have Eyes 2).

Just what I wanted to watch during my spring break. An 85-minute horror film in which nothing happens during the first 80-minutes, but the last 5-minutes is supposed to explain and give reason to everything that came before it. Kinda like every other shitty horror film to be released in the past seven years.

I should've just caught 300 again. Ugh.
Old 03-16-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The film wasn't screened for critics, but out of the 8 reviews on rottentomatoes, 4 of them are very negative, and 4 of them are very positive.
Old 03-16-07, 09:27 PM
Suspended

The dead puppet idea isn't very original.
Old 03-16-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
The dead puppet idea isn't very original.
A dead puppet isn't really scary. A puppet that is alive, possibly....
Old 03-17-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When I saw the trailer for this movie, I thought to myself, "you know, it might be good." The premise appealed to me, and the fact that it was directed by the Saw guy helped too. Then I realized it wasn't screened for critics. "Well," I thought, "it could always be a fluke and end up being really good." Basically I kept playing mindgames with myself, somehow convincing myself that the movie would be worth seeing.

It wasn't.

Dead Silence was really, really bad. Almost every single horror movie cliche was utilized in the movie, and always with not even a hint of tongue-in-cheek or satire. This movie was entirely straight faced, much to its detriment. It was as if I was sent back in time to the 1980s when typical horror conventions were still thought of as "scary." And Dead Silence was not scary. Oh, the film makers thought it was; old ladies with scary faces grin ominously, tongues are ripped out, faces are distorted (these filmmakers must have watched The Ring a hundred times), dolls' eyes menacingly peer side to side, and musical cues mark the point of "look out audience! You're about to be startled!". But none of it worked as intended. Instead of the terrifying thriller the director thought he was making, what we got was a cliched, silly, watered down, laughable movie that would have been better suited sitting on the shelf at Blockbuster Video as a direct-to-video release.

Don't waste your money.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.