DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   11:14 (Hilary Swank, Colin Hanks, Henry Thomas, Rachael Leigh Cook) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/490707-11-14-hilary-swank-colin-hanks-henry-thomas-rachael-leigh-cook.html)

Jason Bovberg 01-26-07 11:11 AM

11:14 (Hilary Swank, Colin Hanks, Henry Thomas, Rachael Leigh Cook)

Now here's a movie that completely slipped beneath my radar. I DVR'd it off Sundance a while back, just for the hell of it, and ended up LOVING this thing.

11:14 is a cool little indy time-bender in the tradition of Go, a nifty puzzle of interlocking stories. Here's Adam Tyner's review:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read....=18123&___rd=1

I highly recommend catching up with this one! Anyone else surprised this great little movie didn't get theatrical distribution? I think it's a crime that it went straight to video...

I wonder how much the title hurt it. It makes sense for the story, but from a marketing perspective...not so much.

Geofferson 01-26-07 11:13 AM

I caught this a while back on HBO and was pleasantly surprised. I've recommended it to a few people I know.

89981 01-26-07 11:48 AM

I saw it on encore mystery, great flick.

printerati 01-26-07 12:06 PM

I'm no fan of Go, but I have heard some good things about 11:14. My interest waned considerably when I discovered that Rachael Leigh Cook stays clothed yet again, however. ;)

Jason Bovberg 01-26-07 12:10 PM

Well, if that's the kind of thing you're looking for, she's got a great (skimpily clothed) sex scene in a cemetery, and she...uh...runs a lot in her short little skirt and bouncy top.

CinemaNut 01-26-07 12:52 PM

Good flick. Crash-esq..7/10

Jason Bovberg 01-26-07 12:58 PM

Oh jesus, please don't bring the specter of Crash into this thread. I wanted to highlight a good film. :)

SPiRAL 01-26-07 01:01 PM

I have it DVR'd but have yet to watch it. Guess I'll see it soon, with all the positive words here.

brainee 01-26-07 01:42 PM

I really enjoyed it too (only caught it running on cable after being completely oblivious to its existence). Good DVDtalk review. The movie is lean (a refreshing change from many movies today) and flies by. The comedy has a bent to it that obviously won't be for everyone, but those that are game should enjoy it.

I don't like comparing it to Crash either. The marketing and packaging does this, and probably succeeds in steering away people who didn't like Crash, and disappointing people who pick up the DVD and see its nothing like Crash.

atlantamoi 01-26-07 01:47 PM

I'm always happy when a movie keeps me guessing what's going on. Good little flick.

project86 01-26-07 04:35 PM

How can you leave out the Swayz????

Anyways, having high hopes going to see this flick, I was pretty disappointed.
Just more of the same. Also..
Spoiler:
I didn't know so many incidents involving cars in the same small town could happen in one minute.

dolphinboy 01-26-07 05:20 PM

8/10

Mercury&Solace 01-26-07 09:01 PM

Rachel Leigh Cook :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

atari2600 01-27-07 07:50 PM

rented it as ablind buy a few months ago - really enjoyed it!

mndtrp 01-28-07 02:58 AM

I enjoyed it as well. Even my buddy who only watches 50 Cent-ish films enjoyed it.

Rachel Leigh Cook should be in more movies. I like looking at her.

Yeti4623 01-28-07 08:08 PM

I kind of liked it, but felt really empty by the end. Rachel Leigh Cook has a great scene in a graveyard.

sabre 01-29-07 08:01 AM

I love rachel leigh cook. Where has she been the last few years? I remember she was supposed to be in that show Fearless then it got canceled before it even aired. I even read a couple of the books. Then she was on Las Vegas for 10 minutes over the course of 2-3 episodes. And that's about it. I wonder if she went back to school or something. I think it's time for her to do a nude scene to show she is a serious actress.

I'll have to try to track down this movie just see her again.

Giles 01-29-07 09:23 AM

Shawn Hatosey ... :thumbsup:

CinemaNut 01-29-07 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
I really enjoyed it too (only caught it running on cable after being completely oblivious to its existence). Good DVDtalk review. The movie is lean (a refreshing change from many movies today) and flies by. The comedy has a bent to it that obviously won't be for everyone, but those that are game should enjoy it.

I don't like comparing it to Crash either. The marketing and packaging does this, and probably succeeds in steering away people who didn't like Crash, and disappointing people who pick up the DVD and see its nothing like Crash.

It is similar to CRASH and can be compared IMO, and I am happy to not be on the CRASH hate bandwagon.

brainee 01-29-07 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by CinemaNut
It is similar to CRASH and can be compared IMO, and I am happy to not be on the CRASH hate bandwagon.

As far as tone and storyline, 11:14 is about as far away from Crash as you can get. Therefore, comparisons to Crash do 11:14 a double disservice. People who like Crash are disappointed because they are so different. People who didn't like Crash won't give 11:14 a chance in the first place. If 11:14 is going to be compared to something, it should be "Go". But since more people heard of Crash than Go, the marketing department went that way. And considering how obscure 11:14 is, I don't think the marketing worked.

And how exactly is my post indicative of the Crash hate bandwagon? I just said they're different.

Jason Bovberg 01-29-07 03:46 PM

Agreed. 11:14 is nothing like Crash.

RichC2 01-29-07 04:00 PM

I saw this a few years ago, the director had something to do with our school (graduate/associate, something) and it was shown in our Student Life center (FSU).

Solid lil flick, amazed it never got a proper theatrical release, considering the stuff that does find its way out.

CinemaNut 01-30-07 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
As far as tone and storyline, 11:14 is about as far away from Crash as you can get. Therefore, comparisons to Crash do 11:14 a double disservice. People who like Crash are disappointed because they are so different. People who didn't like Crash won't give 11:14 a chance in the first place. If 11:14 is going to be compared to something, it should be "Go". But since more people heard of Crash than Go, the marketing department went that way. And considering how obscure 11:14 is, I don't think the marketing worked.

And how exactly is my post indicative of the Crash hate bandwagon? I just said they're different.

Then there are the people like me who who refuse to fit into the this or that box system as I like both movies.

Dr Mabuse 03-02-10 10:03 AM

Re: 11:14 (Hilary Swank, Colin Hanks, Henry Thomas, Rachael Leigh Cook)

I just watched this a couple of days ago.

What a great movie. I couldn't have enjoyed it more.

If you haven't seen this, check it out.

What a cast, even a young Jason Segel in it.

Larry C. 03-02-10 05:40 PM

Re: 11:14 (Hilary Swank, Colin Hanks, Henry Thomas, Rachael Leigh Cook)

Great flick I have owned it for quite sometime. I'll never forget THE scene in the van.... OUCH!