Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-man 4 (2011) - News, Rumors, Cast, Etc

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-man 4 (2011) - News, Rumors, Cast, Etc

Old 08-02-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spider Man 4 needs to focus on the Lizard. Hell, they set it up in the second movie...it's time to finally deliver.

And not automatically a fan choice, but one of my favorite story lines in the history of Spider Man was the Tarantula/Will-O-The Wisp story line. I'd really like to see that adapted to the movie screen.
Old 08-03-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to see Kraven's Last Hunt adapted for SM4, with The Lizard standing in for Vermin.
Old 08-03-07, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Artman
Let's see how well next yr's Dark Knight handles it's 3-4 villains, something tells me like the first it will succeed.
Since when does The Dark Knight have 3-4 villains? Joker is the only real villain in it. There are rumors Scarecrow might return, but he will probably be a minor character at best. Anthony Michael Hall is rumored to play Ed Nigma, but that does not mean he will actually become the Riddler. His role will probably just turn out to be a cameo or something (like Zsasz in Begins). Two-Face most likely won't appear until the very end of the movie, setting up the third movie.

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I'd like to see Kraven's Last Hunt adapted for SM4, with The Lizard standing in for Vermin.

Of course, it they did Kraven's Last Hunt properly, it would have to be rated R.

Mysterio would also be a good villain to use with today's special effects, but the fish bowl head costume would have to be drastically reworked. It would just look lame as hell on the big screen.

Last edited by taffer; 08-03-07 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-03-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
Since when does The Dark Knight have 3-4 villains?
You listed them. Even if several are pre-villain characters, they are still characters being included in the script. And you also made my point about them being very small roles, that's the way to do it.
Old 10-31-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Spidey 4 gets a NEW writer...

Col hands Vanderbilt pen for 'Spidey 4'
by Borys Kit
Oct 31, 2007

James Vanderbilt has been brought on board to pen the screenplay for "Spider-Man 4" for Columbia.

Laura Ziskin is returning as producer of the billion-dollar franchise, though no deals have been made to bring back series director Sam Raimi or stars Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst.

Plot points are being closely guarded by the studio, though the intent is to scale back the story to include only two villains instead of repeating the "Spider-Man 3" model. The third installment, which grossed $336.5 million domestically this year, saw Spidey battle a busy triumvirate of evildoers in the forms of Venom, Sandman and Goblin and was widely reckoned as overly cumbersome with one too many plot lines.

Several writers were being considered for the fourth installment, and Vanderbilt, who wrote the thoughtful if dark "Zodiac," apparently was chosen by Sony brass for his character-driven approach to the story rather than a focus on special effects.

David Koepp, who worked on the first two installments, returned to write a previous draft of "Spider-Man 4."

Vanderbilt, repped by Endeavor and Fuse, quickly has been scaling his way to the upper echelon of screenwriters. He is working on a project based on another Marvel character, Gavin Hood's "Wolverine," for 20th Century Fox.
Old 10-31-07, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good choice for writer!
Old 10-31-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Well i would like there to be a beginning similar to what is done with the Bond movies. Lets see Spidey take down a lesser known or not as popular villain right at the beginning of the movie. The Rhino, Mysterio or Shocker would be perfect for this. A lot of talk has been made of Kraven and the Lizard and i think that would make for a good movie. I also would like to see the Scorpion being brought into the fold by J Jonah Jameson and maybe get the Vulture involved. I remember actually reading a great Spiderman comic where Kraven was hunting the Vulture and Spiderman got involved. That could work great as well.
Old 10-31-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Raimi said he has no story in mind to continue the saga of young Peter Parker and his superhero alter ego."

This is a truly surprising statement. I've read many very good story ideas on this forum alone. Maybe the people at Sony should read some of the scripts unknown writers submit. It's sad that the people who have the power to get a film made are sometimes creatively bankrupt.

As for the villain, I vote for the Lizard. This shouldn't even be questioned. The foundation is there in the first three films!
Old 04-01-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Spider-man 4 news! Lame 4/1 joke, sorry!

http://www.joblo.com/gyllenhaal-is-spidey

I guess this should still be classified as a rumor but he sounds pretty sure of himself.

Last edited by Wolf359; 04-01-08 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-01-08, 12:17 PM

This belongs in the april fools thread.
Old 04-01-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is it a joke? I honestly didn't realize it.
Old 04-01-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't Maguire's Peter Parker bland enough for everyone?
Old 04-01-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do hope the article is true, which is dated 3/31. That means the introduction of Dr. Conners won't be wasted and we'll see his transformation into The Lizard.
Old 04-01-08, 12:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I wish I could quit this franchise.
Old 04-01-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shit...I guess it would help if I read all the way to the bottom of that stupid story before I posted it.
Old 04-01-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
How could you believe this with the line in there:

Jake once said that he would "love to make out with my sister...but only for a movie, of course", so this would be the ideal circumstance to do so.
Old 04-01-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 04-01-08, 02:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
drat and I was expecting a full blown musical sequence like the Central Park musical number from 'Enchanted' this go around....
Old 04-01-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
How could you believe this with the line in there:
Maybe he's taking a page from Chyler Leigh's book?
Old 04-01-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
this kind of tips you off

You know what, Mr. Spider-Man, we may just take you up on that! But only after announcing this year's April Fool's fake story, which is the one you just read. Oh, and for our past April Fool’s Day stories, click on the links below, and remember to use the EMAIL THIS STORY TO A FRIEND link below to send this hot scoop to your buddies as well. Cheers!
Old 09-05-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Raimi & Maguire signed for Spider-Man 4 and 5

From Deadline Hollywood:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Locks In Sam Raimi & Tobey Maguire in 'Spider-Man 4'; Studio May Shoot '4' and '5' At The Same Time

It's time to end once and for all the rampant speculation. Sony doesn't want any info to leak but I'm told that both star Tobey Maguire and director Sam Raimi will be returning to make Zodiac screenwriter Jamie Vanderbilt's script of Spider-Man 4. Sources tell me that Sony has recently locked in both veterans of Spider-Man 1 through 3. And I do mean recently because just a few weeks ago sources told me that Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal was openly discussing Tobey's potential replacements with various Hollywood agents because Tobey was hanging tough about a deal. "She was looking around to cover herself because Sony wanted him badly and Tobey wasn't sure he wanted to do it," an insider explained to me. There's no deal yet for Kirsten Dunst but Mary Jane Watson will be in the movie again. I'm told Sony "would never recast her" despite her rehab problems. But expect another gal part, too.

Gone is the black costume from Spidey 3, even though "dark" is all the rage in superhero movies right now given the enormous success of The Dark Knight. But I'm told the filmmakers won't be borrowing from the latest Batman installment because "Spider-Man is its own thing," one insider tells me. "Sam Raimi made the first serious superhero movie, and others followed. The difference between Spider-Man and Batman is that Batman is duelling with a dark side of himself, and that's not what Peter Parker's struggle is. Peter Parker has no dark side himself. In Spider-Man 3 it was the black costume. Peter Parker's struggle is about sacrifice."

Sony is taking its time officially hiring the movie's villain since principal photography doesn't start on Spider-Man 4 until next fall because of the recently postponed May 2011 release. I am told, however, that "once you find out who the villain is, you'll know who's playing it." That should lead to speculation that Dylan Baker's character of Dr. Curt Connors will ultimately turn into The Lizard as he did in the comic books. There's one other character that's been set up but is a real longshot -- Daniel Gillies, who plays John Jameson, the astronaut fiance of Mary Jane in Spider-Man 2. In the comics he becomes the villain Man-Wolf. Raimi has said in the past that he wants the best actors to play the villains in the movie, not necessarily the most famous.

I'm also told that, right now, the studio is trying to figure out if it can feasibly shoot Spider-Man 4 and 5 at the same time because doing that is so cost effective and "it wasn't so easy to get everybody back together".

Meanwhile, Sony is moving forward on its Spider-Man Broadway musical with music and lyrics by Bono and The Edge of U2 to be directed by Julie Taymor, the Tony Award-winning director of The Lion King. I'm still in a state of shock that Amy Pascal and Julie Taymor are working together again after the knock-down, drag-out fights they had over Sony/Revolution's Across The Universe. This is one of those showbiz moments when the Hollywood maxim, "I'll never work with you again until I need you", comes true.

And Sony has hired a pair of screenwriters to get going on the Spider-Man 3 spinoff movie Venom. Given that comic book artist/writer and action figure maker, Todd McFarlane, who is one of the creators of the Marvel villain, doesn't think a Venom movie could do well with a villain as the central character, my sources think Sony should let Topher Grace, even though he was blown up at the end of Spider-Man 3 (yet a portion of the Venom costume survived), stay in the role because the likeable actor could be a a sympathetic evildoer.

Meanwhile, you can snag a walk-on role on the movie via an eBay auction that ends at 7 PM PDT today. That's an hour before the broadcast networks ABC, CBS and NBC collaborate to air a historic, live and commercial-free television event, Stand Up To Cancer. Yes, Sony is allowing the charity to sell off the "Spider-Man 4 VIP Experience" which includes: a visit to the set of Spider-Man 4 (one shooting day, location of visit will be determined by Sony Pictures based on scheduling of visit), a meet-and-greet with the cast (1 hour), a walk-on/extra role in the film for the auction winner only (role and length of screen time to be determined by Sony Pictures), a trip to the New York premiere (location of U.S. premiere may be changed at Sony Pictures’ discretion), designer outfits to wear to premiere for winner and guest from top designers (designers to be chosen by Sony Pictures; winner and guest may keep the outfits; winner and guest will walk the premiere’s red carpet).
Old 09-05-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lame I wanted a different director to take the reigns. Tobey and Sam are played out.
Old 09-05-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Fine with me... I just wish they'd kill of MJ already. I can't stand looking at Dunst's jacked grill. I'm sure after the backlash Spidey 3 received that Raimi will make all attempts to do this one right.
Old 09-05-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm glad to have both back. While Spidey 3 definitely had a lot of faults, the first two were good enough for me to have faith in more movies. Hopefully it includes The Lizard, as I like how the characters in the movies have been developed and their story arcs played out.
Old 09-05-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Fine with me... I just wish they'd kill of MJ already. I can't stand looking at Dunst's jacked grill. I'm sure after the backlash Spidey 3 received that Raimi will make all attempts to do this one right.
I have a thing for "eye teeth". She's hot!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.