DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Spider-man 4 (2011) - News, Rumors, Cast, Etc (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/490334-spider-man-4-2011-news-rumors-cast-etc.html)

maingon 05-05-07 06:40 PM

- The "Spider-Man 4" rumours have commenced with Mandy Moore as Mary Jane Watson says Cinemablend, whilst Freeze Dried Movies says Carnage and Lizard will be the villains.

-dark horizons

RichC2 05-05-07 06:44 PM

Mandy Moore? I'm one of the few thats defensive of her but really she doesn't fit. (And no I can't tell a joke if it bit me on the ass).

Jackskeleton 05-05-07 07:18 PM

Now that's just pulling shit out of their asses to simply get the drop or get website traffic clicks.

-Carnage... oh come on. If Venom got a small role in the film a sub-venom character like carnage doesn't deserve any screen time.

-Lizard. Is this really even a question? They've been pimping the Connors since the first films cameo. Of course he will be the lizard and it'll be soon. So that's not even a scoop.

-Black cat. didn't they already toy around with the whole "tempting of peter" in this film? They didn't do much with Gwen so I doubt that they would try to beat that horse again.

At this point it's anyones guess and don't believe anything you read.

Timber 05-05-07 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nesbit
The only good Carnage story was the original three issue story arch.

Agreed, Carnage kicked ass his first appearance. Too much usage and being watered down in subsequent appearances ruined him for me.

PopcornTreeCt 05-05-07 09:50 PM

Carnage would be great. Spider-Man's villains are pretty lame as it is. At least another character that will be strong, fast and visually impressive as well.

LivingINClip 05-05-07 09:56 PM

-Carnage... oh come on. If Venom got a small role in the film a sub-venom character like carnage doesn't deserve any screen time.

-Lizard. Is this really even a question? They've been pimping the Connors since the first films cameo. Of course he will be the lizard and it'll be soon. So that's not even a scoop.
Venom got the shaft, because Rami didn't want him and decided to just piss on the character in general. Then again, what's new? He's done that the whole franchise.

Dr. Connors isn't a biologist in the film. Ruins a lot the character right off the bat. Once again, thank Rami.

dadaluholla 05-05-07 10:03 PM

Dammit, I really really really really want ELECTRO.

Supermallet 05-05-07 10:10 PM

I can't see Carnage in a Spidey film because the only way to do him justice would be to make it a hard R.

calhoun07 05-06-07 02:08 AM

I, for one, would really love to see Black Cat in a movie. If they stuck to the story line from the old Peter Parker Spectacular Spider Man comics it could be really good. Those were some GREAT Spidey stories.

Jackskeleton 05-06-07 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
Venom got the shaft, because Rami didn't want him and decided to just piss on the character in general. Then again, what's new? He's done that the whole franchise.

Dr. Connors isn't a biologist in the film. Ruins a lot the character right off the bat. Once again, thank Rami.

Giving Carnage a better movie role than what was given to Venom would be a crime. He gave Doc Ock great treatment so that generality that he's pissed on the franchise is stupid talk. Raimi wanted to set up Venom in this film at the end and continue it through the fourth but Avi said the fans wanted it and he couldn't deny the fans. Guess what happened. Don't blame Raimi for that fuck up.

Dr. Connors has the piece of symbiote left and it could very well be used to create the whole Lizard transformation if needs be. Either way, Connors as the lizard is not some inside scoop and has been expected for a while.

LivingINClip 05-06-07 02:30 AM

Dr. Connors has the piece of symbiote left and it could very well be used to create the whole Lizard transformation if needs be. Either way, Connors as the lizard is not some inside scoop and has been expected for a while.
And that is the dumbest comic change ever.

Send a message via ICQ to Jackskeleton Send a message via AIM to Jackskeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingINClip

Giving Carnage a better movie role than what was given to Venom would be a crime. He gave Doc Ock great treatment so that generality that he's pissed on the franchise is stupid talk. Raimi wanted to set up Venom in this film at the end and continue it through the fourth but Avi said the fans wanted it and he couldn't deny the fans. Guess what happened. Don't blame Raimi for that fuck up.
Really? Last I checked he changed Doc Oct around so that he was a guy in an accident who was controlled by his experiment. Nothing like the comics. Last I checked Green Goblin was a Power-Ranger outfit.

Jackskeleton 05-06-07 02:43 AM

Comic <-> film requires change. You must be one of those who still is pissed that he doesn't have a web slinger and now has organic webbing.

With Doc Ock I said he gave proper treatment because while he changed it, you don't see people bitching about it. Infact, according to this thread alone folks raved about spider-man 2 and how much they enjoyed it and what they did with the doc.

Changes happen. Simple as that. I tossed out a suggestion since you are having a problem with a physics professor dabbling in biology to get his arm back even though this film showed that he had some biology knowledge in him.

LivingINClip 05-06-07 02:49 AM

Spider-Man 2 was decent, however, my point is Rami made so many changes to core characters that it is just hard to swallow after this last dose. That's why I really don't want Rami back no matter what. Simple stuff like Connors not having the right profession annoy me to no end. There was just no real reason to change stuff like that, other than the fact Rami wanted to.

With that said - I agree with whoever said that these websites are just throwing "news" out there to get clicks. It's way to early for them to be talking to someone to replace Dunst..etc

Jackskeleton 05-06-07 03:02 AM

That was me. ;) Yes, they figure that with the movie coming out this week that anyone who sees it will jump for any sign of sequel talk even if it's way too early to tell anything. Hell, I've seen this same story and link to the website on four different forums. Thats what they want, folks to link to them so they increase web traffic. There's nothing "inside scoop" about this.

As for the changes. I don't think that Raimi has done too many big changes compared to the other comic to film translations. I mean, ghost rider having the dan ketch costume but as johnny blaze seems far worse than changing the teaching profession of one character that they can easily later work around if needs be.

LivingINClip 05-06-07 03:21 AM

As for the changes. I don't think that Raimi has done too many big changes compared to the other comic to film translations. I mean, ghost rider having the dan ketch costume but as johnny blaze seems far worse than changing the teaching profession of one character that they can easily later work around if needs be.
I actually didn't get around to see'ing Ghost Rider. I guess my complaint is the fact that we saw so many changes in these films. Not one or two, a bunch of big and small ones.

riley_dude 05-06-07 03:23 AM

I just hope they have a better screenwriter than part 3. With that they can do anything they want.

Matthew Chmiel 05-06-07 12:01 PM

How about this?

We lose the producers. Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin must go. Fuck this "let's cater to the fans" and movie made by committee bullshit. It didn't work for Spider-man 3. Let the director and writer make a story that's plausible and gives way to some good character and plot development that doesn't feel rushed or too frantic. We saw what happened with Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Blade: Trinity, and X3 -- so why repeat failure again? Let's face it -- Spider-man 3's failure is it had too much going on at once.

However, this is a time for forgiveness. Let's see how we can improve for the third trip back to the well.

Bring back Sam Raimi as director. He did direct the first two and he's actually a good director -- unlike what the greasy fanboys think. And fuck it, let's bring back Alvin Sargent as screenwriter. He did bring the humanity to Spider-man 2. And let's keep people like David Koepp and Zak Penn the fuck away from this franchise. Koepp already fucked up his chance with the first outing and Penn is just a no-talented piece of shit hack.

But wait. We just lost the whole producing staff. What do we do?

Bring on Stan Lee. Bring on the team of Ralph Winter and Lauren Shuler Donner. Simply put, bring on producers who will let the director and writer do their own thing.

However, Sony will probably fuck this thing up like Fox did with X3. So who knows.

project86 05-06-07 01:19 PM

If you lose Raimi, the you lose the series in my opinion. He's the only one that can make the style he made with the first three, and completely changing it for the next 3 would be a huge mistake.

Puzznic 05-06-07 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by project86
If you lose Raimi, the you lose the series in my opinion. He's the only one that can make the style he made with the first three, and completely changing it for the next 3 would be a huge mistake.

I used to think that but Spider-Man 3 already lost the style of the first two. It feels more different from its predecessors than X-Men 3 did.

B5Erik 05-06-07 06:12 PM

Look, I read Spider Man comics from 1974 until the mid 90's. I'm a huge fan.

But I thought that the changes made to the characters HAD to be made due to changing technology in the 40 years between the early comics and the movies. The world has changed, and to do a more faithful adaptation would have been laughable.

Having said that I think a watered down PG13 Carnage would be STU-PID. Carnage is a freaking death machine, slaughtering his victims. Not very family friendly.

Take that away and he's just Venom part II. Total re-hash.

Go with The Lizard. Focus on that - build the Doc Connors character. OK, so he's not a biologist, fine. Have him hook up with a colleague who IS and have them come up with the Lizard formula together. Problem solved.

Nothing is set now, and nothing will be set for another few months (if not another year). All this talk is just that - talk. Ideas being floated and leaked as rumors.

And I don't think Spidey 3 lost the style of the first two. It's just the first two on steroids. The pace is quicker, and there is more going on - but the style is still Sam Raimi's interpretation of Spider Man.

Supermallet 05-06-07 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
How about this?

We lose the producers. Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin must go. Fuck this "let's cater to the fans" and movie made by committee bullshit. It didn't work for Spider-man 3. Let the director and writer make a story that's plausible and gives way to some good character and plot development that doesn't feel rushed or too frantic. We saw what happened with Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Blade: Trinity, and X3 -- so why repeat failure again? Let's face it -- Spider-man 3's failure is it had too much going on at once.

However, this is a time for forgiveness. Let's see how we can improve for the third trip back to the well.

Bring back Sam Raimi as director. He did direct the first two and he's actually a good director -- unlike what the greasy fanboys think. And fuck it, let's bring back Alvin Sargent as screenwriter. He did bring the humanity to Spider-man 2. And let's keep people like David Koepp and Zak Penn the fuck away from this franchise. Koepp already fucked up his chance with the first outing and Penn is just a no-talented piece of shit hack.

But wait. We just lost the whole producing staff. What do we do?

Bring on Stan Lee. Bring on the team of Ralph Winter and Lauren Shuler Donner. Simply put, bring on producers who will let the director and writer do their own thing.

However, Sony will probably fuck this thing up like Fox did with X3. So who knows.

A-fucking-men. Sadly, I think the massive opening box office of Spidey 3 will be used as an excuse for Laura Ziskin and Avi Arad to not just stay on, but force even more "suggestions" on Sam. I would be surprised if Raimi actually opted to make the 4th.

Fincher Fan 05-07-07 03:21 AM

We're lucky we had three films with Raimi and the original cast. Overall I think he did a phenomenal job with the series but it's time for everyone to move on and let some fresh blood in.

DeputyDave 05-07-07 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
We're lucky we had three films with Raimi and the original cast. Overall I think he did a phenomenal job with the series but it's time for everyone to move on and let some fresh blood in.

I hope if they get rid of the cast they decide to go with ALL NOBODIES. I would hate this to turn into a Batman like "how many major stars can we cram into a movie" ordeal.

Regardless KEEP J.J.!

MrE 05-07-07 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Puzznic
I used to think that but Spider-Man 3 already lost the style of the first two. It feels more different from its predecessors than X-Men 3 did.

3 has considerably diminished my enthusiasm for a "4" -- kind of like Alien 3 did for Alien 4. The nicest thing I can say is that it's not as big a letdown as Terminator 3.

riley_dude 05-07-07 11:49 PM

I heard on the radio that they want to do three more movies??
Yikes.

So where was this documented that Avi made changes to the movie? It makes sense since the last one feels vastly different than the other two.