Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

the AFI 100 greatest movies list...to be updated!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-19-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't see any of the top selections from the old list getting bumped from their spots, but if there is any justice, the lord of the rings films will find their way on...

---------

Citizen Kane is the greatest Hollywood film ever. Or is it...?
The 1942 Orson Welles classic, deigned the best of the best in a much-heralded list compiled nearly a decade ago by the American Film Institute, may or may not still be number one by the time Lord of the Rings supporters and others have their say.
The AFI announced Thursday that it's asked its brain trust of actors, directors, screenwriters, historians, critics and more to look anew at which movies, including a spate of relatively recent releases such as the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Shrek and Spider-Man 2, should be declared among the greatest American-made movies.
The new list, to be called "100 Years...100 Movies—10th Anniversary Edition," will be unveiled in June on a CBS TV special.
Per the AFI, all rankings previously assigned in the original "100 Years...100 Movies" list will be up for grabs.
So, Citizen Kane, which was number one last time out, could be number one again. Or it could be number 10. Or number 100.
Star Wars, which finished in 15th place last time out, could move up, could move down, or could move off—no spots are guaranteed.
One thing that was guaranteed was that every movie from AFI's original "100 Years...100 Movies" list, from Citizen Kane to Yankee Doodle Dandy, got to be on the new 400-film ballot.
Not so lucky: Judgment at Nuremberg; the original Around the World in 80 Days, Oscar's 1956 Best Picture winner; The Greatest Show on Earth, Oscar's 1952 Academy Award Best Picture winner; and Beverly Hills Cop. All, and more, fell off the ballot this time around.
Among the films making their first appearances on an AFI best-movie ballot are 44 releases that weren't eligible and/or even conceived the last time movie buffs went to the polls, in 1997-98.
The newbies, released from 1996 to 2005, include: Oscar winners such as Titanic, American Beauty and Crash; blockbusters such as The Matrix, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban; indie-minded films such as Sideways, Rushmore and Memento; and all three Lord of the Rings movies.
Franchise films, such as Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (but not its two sequels), Shrek (but not Shrek 2) and Spider-Man 2 (but not Spider-Man), are also on the ballot. None of the new Star Wars movies is.
Completing a shutout for films titled Around the World in 80 Days, the globe-trotting comedy's 2004 flop of a remake did not, like its predecessor, make the new ballot.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, the Oscar-winning 2000 martial-arts epic from Taiwan, didn't make the ballot, either. Unlike 80 Days, though, it wasn't eligible. As with the last list, AFI is only considering movies essentially made by U.S. companies and/or U.S. filmmakers.
Hollywood movies released in 2006, anything from Borat to V for Vendetta, were eligible for ballot, though none made the cut. All is not lost, however, for the newest of the newbies—up to five write-in votes are allowed.
The AFI is asking its 1,500 judges to consider films based on factors such as how the movies fared with critics, how they fared at award-show time, and how they're holding up against history.
In the end, the new top 100 list may not look too different from the old top 100 list, for despite the infusion of fresh blood, golden-age Hollywood still reigned on the ballot.
Movies released in 1939, à la Gone with the Wind, and 1942, à la Citizen Kane, each took up 11 spots on the ballot, more than any other years. Among actors, the late Henry Fonda (The Grapes of Wrath, 12 Angry Men, etc.) starred in the most ballot-worthy films, 10. And among directors, the late Alfred Hitchcock (Rebecca) and the late William Wyler (1959's Ben-Hur) helmed the most ballot-worthy films, 10 each.
Among the living, Steven Spielberg, Robert De Niro and Jack Nicholson represented with the most multiple films.
Modern-day actresses, living or dead, fared the worst. Among the 44 newly eligible entries on the ballot, only two, Erin Brockovich and The Hours, could be considered women-driven films along the lines of fellow contenders (and black-and-white-era favorites) All About Eve, Mildred Pierce and Mrs. Miniver. (The complete list of eligible films is online at afi.com.)
The AFI's revised take on the 100 best American movies likely will not be its last. The group said it intends to freshen up the list every 10 years.
Guess there's still hope for Freddy vs. Jason.
Old 01-19-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boo Hiss Boo....leave it alone . I liked the idea of the 100 year time frame...this sort of tosses that out. Lame
Old 01-19-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess they finally ran out of dumb list ideas.
Old 01-19-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 875 Likes on 607 Posts
If Shrek appears anywhere near the Top 100, I'll completely ignore anything the AFI ever does again!

I'm not a huge fan of Citizen Kane but I do understand it's position on the list. While its arguable that it may not be worthy of the #1 spot, it's impossible to say that any film made in the last 10 years is better. And if they want to replace Kane with something already on the list (presumably within the Top 10) I don't see why they didn't do that in their original list.

...or pretty much any film on the list for that matter. I'm guessing that if anything, the #'s 80 - 100 will see a little change while it's ridiculous to suggest anything higher on the list be pushed aside.
Old 01-19-07, 08:02 PM

What good is a "greatest movies" list without Commando.
Old 01-19-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's American films only, so greatness like City of God will be notably absent.
Old 01-19-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could be interesting to see which films get bumped off, though I suspect there won't be much movement near the top of the list.
Old 01-19-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can the LOTR trilogy be "declared among the greatest American-made movies?"
Old 01-19-07, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Can the LOTR trilogy be "declared among the greatest American-made movies?"
If you ask on the Internet "H3llZzzz yeah!"

In reality, I'm not so sure. I dislike the idea of re-doing the list - if it was an addendum, like the best of the 2000's, I'd be okay with it (though technically, there's still 3 years to cover), but I don't think an addendum would need a 3 hour TV special.
Old 01-19-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Movies that seem great but do not belong on that list:
-LotR
-Shrek
-Crash
-Brokeback Mnt.
-anything!!!

Leave the list alone, if anything redo some of the 90-100 titles.
Old 01-19-07, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by clemente
If you ask on the Internet "H3llZzzz yeah!"

In reality, I'm not so sure. I dislike the idea of re-doing the list - if it was an addendum, like the best of the 2000's, I'd be okay with it (though technically, there's still 3 years to cover), but I don't think an addendum would need a 3 hour TV special.
I just meant that it is primarily a New Zealand production albeit with American money presumably. I guess since New Line was the distributor it qualifies.

I say leave the list alone. And personally, the first time, I wouldnt have put any movies up on the list that had been made in the last 10 or even 20 years. Give some more time for people to reflect on the significance of the films.
Old 01-20-07, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it just me, or does it make sense that if any movies were to be removed they'd be ranked 90-100?
Old 01-20-07, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think there are too many movies that have come out lately that deserve to be on the list. They could definitely get rid of a few though (Forrest Gump, Schindler's List, E.T.)
Old 01-20-07, 08:24 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I guarantee Star Wars, now known as Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, doesn't finish in its #15 spot, but much lower.

I think the changing of the movie with the SE NOW being THE version, and the lack of quality of the PT movies will make this movie not as 'special' as it was perceived before, because it is just the #4 movie of a movie series now, and not the groundbreaking first movie of a superior trilogy.
Old 01-20-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't think there are too many movies that have come out lately that deserve to be on the list. They could definitely get rid of a few though (Forrest Gump, Schindler's List, E.T.)
I can't see Schindler's List falling from #9 all the way out of the top 100, but I think Forrest Gump will be bumped. Edit: never mind, FG was #71! Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction, both in the 90's, had better not get bumped.

I hope L.A. Confidential makes it. Does anyone know where a list of the new 44 movies is? I can't believe titles like Shrek and Spider-Man 2 are being considered.

Last edited by Drexl; 01-20-07 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-20-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I just meant that it is primarily a New Zealand production albeit with American money presumably. I guess since New Line was the distributor it qualifies.

I say leave the list alone. And personally, the first time, I wouldnt have put any movies up on the list that had been made in the last 10 or even 20 years. Give some more time for people to reflect on the significance of the films.
Lawrence of Arabia falls under that category.
Old 01-20-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by funstan
Lawrence of Arabia falls under that category.
Lawrence of Arabia was made in New Zeland?
Old 01-20-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It'll be nice to see the list updated with Saving Private Ryan.
Old 01-20-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally, I just hope they correct their error and the Shawshank Redemption makes the list this go around.
Old 01-20-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Schindler's List does belong on the list but not as high.

Star Wars needs to be dropped. I always thought Frankenstein (1931) was too low.

Gump gone and Goodfellas maybe a bit higher.
Old 01-20-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
I wouldn't mind if Shawshank and Do the Right Thing made it this time around. If we're talking about influential or movies that had a cultural impact, I could see The Matrix making the list as well. It may be a bit too soon for some of the other films.
Old 01-20-07, 11:15 AM

Glad they are revising the list instead of acting like the past decade didn't exist. Possibly correct a couple omissions they left off the first time like the Shawshank Redemption.
Old 01-20-07, 01:45 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
They should just do a Top 100 in 'no specific order' because where a movie is ranked is more subjective to whether it deserves to be in the top 100. Although by ranking them, it does make it more interesting, and will keep this thread alive for a while.
Old 01-20-07, 07:50 PM
En vacance

I agree with the Sight and Sound film list most and find it most respectable. I believe Kane is first and Vertigo second, and it's more globally encompassing than AFI's..
Old 01-20-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree. Sight & Sound encompasses the entire world but they seem to give a lot of spots to movies that pioneered the filmmaking such as Battleship Potemkin and Birth of a Nation. I understand these films were the first of their kind but that doesn't automatically make them good.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.