Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Interesting Article On Sundance ("Pushing The Boundaries")

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an interesting article about pushing the boundaries at Sundance, but there is one movie in particular that stood out to me. I did a search on the movie and couldn't find anything here, but I could have missed it. Here is a piece of the article:

The most controversial documentary of the 16 documentaries in competition (out of 856 submitted) is Zoo, by Seattle filmmaker (and two-time previous Sundance entrant) Robinson Devor, which follows the story of Kenneth Pinyan, a 45-year-old Seattle man who made videotapes of himself being anally penetrated by a stallion and died in 2005 after an internal injury.

The movie with Dakota Fanning that we have probably all heard about is also mentioned in the article as an example of another movie pushing the boundaries.

Full article (it is Canadian based) is here:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ory/?query=zoo
Old 01-21-07, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the story of Kenneth Pinyan, a 45-year-old Seattle man who made videotapes of himself being anally penetrated by a stallion and died in 2005 after an internal injury.
That guy was not only pathetic, but sick as hell. I can't say I feel sorry for his dumbass. What kind of social life must he have had.

Yes, that's also easily the most shocking documentary I've ever heard of. I'm trying to figure out why the filmmaker would even be interested in such a demented subject.
Old 01-21-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got to say, I was quite curious coming into this thread to see how far the "boundaries" were being pushed. Usually I think these things are pretty tame, or how many "fucks" are permitted in a PG-13 film. But death by anal Stallion sex officially wins for the most fucked up thing I've heard discussed in actual movie circles.
Old 01-22-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the article:
"It's not a specific story of freakish behaviour but a universal look at what goes on behind the façade of everyday, quotidian, normal American middle-class life."
Thank God someone has the courage to do that. It's been at least five minutes since that last movie that peeled back that thin veneer of suburban American life and showed us for the monolithicly sick bastards that we truly are.

It's pretty clear that Hollywood really hates what they so derisively term "middle class America". The sad part is that we keep buying tickets to see their latest patronizing bullshit and then say how "profound" it all is.

Also, maybe I'm getting old, but I no longer feel the need to have a movie shock me. Just looking for 2 hours of entertainment at this point, thanks.