Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

National Lampoon's Vacation series

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

National Lampoon's Vacation series

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 06:59 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
I'm sure the double feature is a flipper, which I don't like, but it's quite a bit cheaper. Does it have the same transfer and special features as the single releases?
Yes to everything; the double feature is a flipper and it offers the exact same transfers of the VACATION: 20th Anniversary Edition and EUROPEAN VACATION individual discs that are available separately, down to the identical menus.
Old 01-30-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Yes to everything; the double feature is a flipper and it offers the exact same transfers of the VACATION: 20th Anniversary Edition and EUROPEAN VACATION individual discs that are available separately, down to the identical menus.
Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm just gonna save some money and get the double feature.
Old 01-30-07, 07:52 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
The double feature is better anyway because it's the only way to get both/either of the first two VACATIONs in a keep case, instead of a flimsy snapper.
Old 01-31-07, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The double feature is better anyway because it's the only way to get both/either of the first two VACATIONs in a keep case, instead of a flimsy snapper.
Even better. That alone is reason enough to go with the double feature.
Old 01-31-07, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I'd rather have a non-flipper and make my own custom cases, or hell, I'd rather prefer a non-flipper and snappers to a flipper.
Old 01-31-07, 02:27 PM
Banned

I wish I had asked.
Old 01-31-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackson_Browne
My God. Why did you have to show that to me? They used to be such a great organization. The magazine was absolutely hilarious in the 70's and of course we all know they produced some great movies in the 80's.
Do they even make movies anymore or do they just buy rights to distribute movies and slap the logo on them? Blackball, for example, had nothing to do with National Lampoon. In the UK, it was just Blackball. In America it's "National Lampoon's Blackball."
Old 02-01-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Do they even make movies anymore or do they just buy rights to distribute movies and slap the logo on them? Blackball, for example, had nothing to do with National Lampoon. In the UK, it was just Blackball. In America it's "National Lampoon's Blackball."
National Lampoon usually pays the producers or the studio releasing the film some big bucks in an order to get their name associated with that specific film. Walt Becker, the director of Van Wilder, pretty much disowned that film once he found out Artisan was letting National Lampoon put their name on it.
Old 02-01-07, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Walt Becker, the director of Van Wilder, pretty much disowned that film once he found out Artisan was letting National Lampoon put their name on it.
Yeah, because that's what the problem was with that movie.
Old 02-01-07, 11:31 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
National Lampoon doesn't make films. They never did and they never have and they are not currently making films. Their name has (or had) clout in the world of comedy and producers could license the name to slap on their films.

BTW, I love Vacation, European, and Vegas. I'm also in the camp that doesn't like Christmas Vacation. The dynamic is off in that movie. It's not about the 4 Griswolds, cousin Eddie is alowed to upstage everyone, and since they don't go anywhere, there is no forward movement to the story. I think this movie has just become a Christmas ritual for many people and they love it despite it's flaws.
Old 02-01-07, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
National Lampoon doesn't make films. They never did and they never have and they are not currently making films. Their name has (or had) clout in the world of comedy and producers could license the name to slap on their films.
Actually, National Lampoon was heavily involved in the development of the early "National Lampoon" movies. Animal House wouldn't exist if it were not for the National Lampoon. It was a collaboration between the magazine's writers and those involved in their stage shows. They didn't just slap their name on the films, originally. They do now, but that's not how it started.
Old 02-03-07, 04:40 AM

Vacation
Christmas Vacation
Vegas Vacation
Euro Vacation

Although I really didn't care for Euro Vacation, there was one scene in it that made me laugh out loud. While the Griswolds are checking into their seedy hotel in England, the clerk starts adding up their bill, in a heavy cockney accent. Clark takes out his translator calculator, and starts punching in words. Rusty sighs, and tells his dad that the man is speaking english.
Old 02-03-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I haven't watched the first two in ages, and honestly don't have any desire to do so, so I guess that's my opinion of them. Vegas just doesn't look interesting. But I saw Christmas Vacation with my family when it was in theatres and it has become a family tradition. I'm actually a little surprised at all the hate it's getting here. Just so many quotable lines and great character moments throughout.
Old 02-03-07, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I'm actually a little surprised at all the hate it's getting here.
If it had been the first in the series, us "haters" might have a very different opinion of it, but its drastic late-John Hughes stylistic shift from the first two's early-John Hughes style was way too off-putting, sugar-coated and schmaltzy for many of us fans of the first two.
Old 01-20-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: National Lampoon's Vacation series

Vacation
Christmas Vacation
Vegas Vacation
European Vacation

All of them are pretty funny, but the original is by far the best.
Old 01-20-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

There is ONLY the original "National Lampoon's Vacation". That movie is not only a comedy classic, it was the only one that had any teeth, bite, and satire to it at all, despite being an overall "warm" family movie.

"European Vacation" has its moments of hilarity, but it pales in comparison to the original. "Christmas Vacation" is a colossal piece of shit and I have no idea why people seem to give it so much love. It's not funny at all, nor is it particularly worthwhile in any capacity.

"Vegas Vacation" has nothing going for it, save the actress playing Audrey in that form-fitting club mini-dress. Hokey smokes!
Old 01-20-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd like to know why so many people dislike Vegas Vacation? I enjoyed that one.

Vacation
Christmas Vacation
Vegas Vacation
European Vacation
Old 01-20-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, Vegas is underrated, it is definitely better than European.
Old 01-20-09, 01:39 PM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts

I think the elements of the Vacation series that shine the brightest are those which universally resonate with as many Americans as possible. That means the road trip, the bad picnic lunch, the terrible motels, the giant gatherings of family, the bad gifts, the awful meals, and so on. That's why Vacation and Christmas Vacation, to me, will stand the test of time, comparatively, while European Vacation and Vegas Vacation are both fun but just don't resonate in the same way.
Old 01-20-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Being a gambling junkie, Vegas is my 2nd favorite, behind Vacation. European just didn't work for me, mostly I blame the poor casting of the kids.
Old 01-20-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^Yup, same here.

I'm a huge Vegas fan. The first, Vegas, and Christmas always get quoted by me.

European is a piece of crap.
Old 01-20-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I love them all. Initially, I didn't care much for Vegas but it grew on me with more viewings.
Old 01-20-09, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I think the elements of the Vacation series that shine the brightest are those which universally resonate with as many Americans as possible. That means the road trip, the bad picnic lunch, the terrible motels, the giant gatherings of family, the bad gifts, the awful meals, and so on. That's why Vacation and Christmas Vacation, to me, will stand the test of time, comparatively, while European Vacation and Vegas Vacation are both fun but just don't resonate in the same way.
I've always thought the original Vacation and Christmas Vacation were the best of the bunch (not that I don't enjoy the others), and you may have hit the nail on the head regarding the reasons why. My family always grew up taking vacations to various amusement parks, so that strikes a chord with me as well.
Old 01-20-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just watched the original Vacation again (it's on Netflix Instant Queue now), and it still holds up really well. I think Christmas is still my favorite (and one I watch every year with the family), but Vacation sets up a lot of the classic jokes used throughout the series.
Old 01-20-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I just saw European Vacation again recently and I don't think it has held up very well at all. The kids were horribly miscast - not to mention two of the ugliest child actors I've ever seen - and the jokes just weren't funny. It also just looks bad. Visually, it looks like it was filmed through a rusty screen door. Such a dark, drab look for a comedy.

The original and Christmas Vacation are classics, IMO, and Vegas actually isn't too bad upon multiple viewings, though I'd have preferred they minimized the screentime for Cousin Eddie and Wayne Newton...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.