Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

National Lampoon's Vacation series

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

National Lampoon's Vacation series

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: National Lampoon's Vacation series

The original is by far the best, imo. My nostalgia for it could be causing just a smidge of bias, but, objectively, I feel it is easily the funniest out of all of them from start to finish.

Something about European Vacation has always bugged me a bit, even though it does have some great, memorable parts for me. I think I just never cared for the European setting in the movie very much. The kids in this are definitely the ugliest, but I am far less bothered by them than I am with the casting for Rusty and Audrey in Christmas Vacation. It's one thing to have the kids stay roughly the same age, but blonde hair on Audrey (and I hate Juliette Lewis to begin with) and Rusty looking 5-7 years younger?
Old 01-20-09, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thing with European is every time I see it, I just think of Goof Troop.

Audrey did the voice of Max before she passed away in the 90s.
Old 01-20-09, 05:49 PM
Banned

I remember a rumor many years ago with ideas of an Australian Vacation. That could have been worse then Christmas Vacation 2, Oh who am I kidding nothing could be worse then that.
Old 01-20-09, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

1. Vacation
2. European (tie)
2. Christmas (tie)
4. Vegas

First one is a classic. Europe has some decent gags and set pieces even though it's a lesser movie. Christmas has its moments. By the time they made Vegas, the formula was worn out.

And, yeah, it's kind of irritating that there's little consistency with the actors playing the kids. Of course, the movies are all so far apart that the kids would be adults by the time the next movie came out, so it seems like they just go for new actors with little consideration of their ages or appearances in the previous installment.
Old 10-17-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Christmas Vacation is funnier and more overall entertaining than European Vacation, but European Vacation is a better made movie. If that makes any sense.
Old 10-17-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

One of the awesomest movie songs ever:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PqhcE4aZMLQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PqhcE4aZMLQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-17-10, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I'm a little surprised (but glad at the same time) that Warner hasn't tried to make one more sequel to this. With the trend of making sequels to old movies or remaking old movies it seems like a decent candidate. I guess that they did do that short with Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo, but it wasn't a full movie so I don't count it.

My ranking of the series:

Vacation
Christmas Vacation
Vegas Vacation
European Vacation

I never thought that Vegas was as bad as some of you do I guess. European was the worst of the series by far I thought. Some funny stuff but its the one I watch the least and I just never liked it a lot.
Old 10-17-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Still really like European, it's the one I've seen the most of with Christmas second and the others tied. I can see how it would be "the least funny" but still I enjoy it enough.

They're supposed to be making another one with Rusty being the dad talking his family on a trip. One of the posters here, mcfly, knows the most about the Vacation series and all of the times they've tried to make another sequel.
Old 10-17-10, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Christmas Vacation
Vacation
Vegas Vacation
European Vacation
Old 10-18-10, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
One of the awesomest movie songs ever:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PqhcE4aZMLQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PqhcE4aZMLQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
That is the first time I have ever seen that video. I wasn't even aware the song had a video.

I love the song, but that video does not go with the song at all.
Old 10-18-10, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

1. The Original is in my top 10 comedies of all-time, as Chevy Chase was in his prime. Funniest line, "I'm on a quest, to see a Moose!!"

2. European Vacation is stupid, but does a few funny parts (it was on HBO in the mid 80's all the time).

3. Christmas Vacation is so overrated, I don't get the love for this one by some of my friends and family.

4. Vegas Vacation, never saw it, should have never been made.
Old 10-18-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really can't remember as I've never looked for it, but did the 3 sequels ever reference anything from the prior movies?

If not, then it's even less of a big deal that the kids are different in each one. I know the parents and Uncle Eddie are all played by the same actors, but if each "Vacation" stands on its own and doesn't reference anything from the prior "vacations" then it's not really necessary to have the same actors in each one. Chevy Chase and Randy Quaid are really the only ones that were needed for each movie. Hell, Beverly D'Angelo could have been recast too. What's the difference? They were screwball comedies that got by on the name of Chevy Chase and Randy Quaid was the funniest character.
Old 10-18-10, 10:15 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Vacation (a classic)
Christmas Vacation (watch every year; one of the most quoted movies by my family)
European Vacation (not a huge fan, but it has some good moments)
Vegas Vacation (again, has a few funny bits)

I need a Blu-ray boxset, stat!
Old 10-18-10, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
3. Christmas Vacation is so overrated, I don't get the love for this one by some of my friends and family.

Do not understand the love for this terminally unfunny, lame, insipid POS.
Old 10-18-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

1.5 year bump... but I'll play.

The original is by far the best, so I rank it at 100% and the rest are ranked in comparison to it:

100% - Vacation
65% - Christmas Vacation
35% - European Vacation
10% - Vegas

Christmas had more Eddie - which is good... and it was refreshing to see things centred around their home life. The kids were the used the least of the series, but at least they didn't annoy me - and they wound up being somewhat famous. Some good quotes in this one.

European Vacation... there were a few funny scenes, but not many. The kids just annoy me - especially Audrey and her whining. And I didn't like the whole spy/kidnap thing (or whatever it was - been a while) and the cameos were desperate and not funny.

Vegas just wasn't funny and their surroundings were very limiting to the situations. Just a bad idea.
Old 10-18-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I love the song, but that video does not go with the song at all.
The video does seem completely unrelated, doesn't it?
Old 10-18-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I get the work/vacation thing, but I honestly expected a more lighthearted video considering the movie it spawned from is a comedy.
Old 10-18-10, 08:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well Buckingham has always been more of a "dark" musician and he was opposed to becoming a "soundtrack artist" so I'm sure he wanted to buck the happiness of the song with the dark video.
Old 10-18-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Vegas Vacation is terribly underrated, but I can see where fans of the series have problems with it. I thought it was a fine entry. My second favorite next to the first one.
Old 10-18-10, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
Well Buckingham has always been more of a "dark" musician and he was opposed to becoming a "soundtrack artist" so I'm sure he wanted to buck the happiness of the song with the dark video.
The video pays homage to the artist René Magritte. Witness Lindsey doing the man from Magritte's The Pleasure Principle toward the end when he's sitting at the desk.

Old 10-19-10, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gmanca
Whatever his reason, its still a mismatched video.

Side note: Someone at Garmin (GPS makers) loved "National Lampoon's Vacation", one of the car icons is a station wagon with a collar off the bumper and a wrapped up body on the roof.
Old 10-20-10, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Whatever his reason, its still a mismatched video.

Side note: Someone at Garmin (GPS makers) loved "National Lampoon's Vacation", one of the car icons is a station wagon with a collar off the bumper and a wrapped up body on the roof.

That's great.

I think a lot of people like Christmas Vacation cause they can relate to it. All the crazy crap with the family coming over, shopping, and decorating the house just strikes a chord with the audience.
Old 10-20-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier

That's great.

I think a lot of people like Christmas Vacation cause they can relate to it. All the crazy crap with the family coming over, shopping, and decorating the house just strikes a chord with the audience.
Agreed with Christmas Vacation being popular due to being relate-able. Plus it isn't that bad, I swear some people just like to hate on things that are popular.
Old 10-20-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier

That's great.

And getting trapped in the attic.
Old 10-20-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I swear some people just like to hate on things that are popular.
Why do people have to overanalyze why people don't like a movie. I watched it and actually watched it again when it first came on video back in 1990 I think, and it just isn't funny. The Original Vacation is very popular, and I love that, so I don't get your logic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.