Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shooter - Mark Wahlberg, Antoine Fuqua - 3/16/07

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-02-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob Lee Swagger on the silver screen...gotta love it.

This flick looks action packed.

Trailer HERE

= J
Old 01-03-07, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
It doesn't look too faithful to the book and they might be combining scenes from multiple books too. It doesn't look bad, but Swagger's a lot younger than I would have expected and the whole Vietnam experience seems to have gone away. Also, establishing him in a loving relationship as the trailer does takes a big part of his personality from the book away.
Old 02-04-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Shooter - 3/16/07

-------------------------------
Rifle marksman Bob Lee Swagger (Mark Wahlberg) comes out of his self-imposed exile in the Arkansas wilderness to help his former associates prevent a presidential assassination. Instead, he finds that he has been framed for the crime, so Swagger goes on the run to find the killer and the truth behind his betrayal. Based on Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter.
--------------------------------

"Point of Impact" is my favorite action-book of all time... well written, great story. I saw the preview to this, and I was thinking "wow, this sounds a lot like Point of Impact!" Imagine my surprise when I read the background...

Can't wait!
Old 02-04-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks pretty good to me. i'll definitely go see it.
Old 02-04-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this trailer before The Messengers. Wahlberg and Glover? I'm there.
Old 02-05-07, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
They shot part of this movie this outside my office. I got to see Mark Wahlberg run down the street three times!!
Old 03-02-07, 10:50 AM

Shooter

anyone else think this new wahlberg movie looks like a great action flick? he has been on fire lately in great roles. he was so awesome in the departed and i think this sniper movie looks awesome! who's with me?
Old 03-02-07, 11:03 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
It looks pretty damn good to me.
Old 03-02-07, 11:07 AM

It looks exactly like a Kenan Ivory Wayans flick called Most Wanted. Same plot. I'm sure this will probably be better, though. I just wish they'd produce some more original scripts.
Old 03-02-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mijorico
It looks exactly like a Kenan Ivory Wayans flick called Most Wanted. Same plot. I'm sure this will probably be better, though. I just wish they'd produce some more original scripts.
Trust me, the idea of the set-up hero did not originate with Keenan Ivory Wayans.

I still hold high hopes for any material from Antoine Fuqua. But every year I'm more assured that Training Day was either a fluke or lightning in a bottle.
Old 03-02-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
It looks so-so to me. But I can't help thinking of the first BASIC INSTINCT whenever I hear about this movie. Am I the only one?
Old 03-02-07, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Trust me, the idea of the set-up hero did not originate with Keenan Ivory Wayans.
I'm aware of that, but judging by the previews alone it looks more like a remake than a different take a premise that has been done before.

They're not simply two movies about set-up heroes. They're two movies about exiled snipers recruited for a "government" mission and framed for the assassination, or attempted assassination, of the President/First Lady.
Old 03-02-07, 12:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It looks so-so to me. But I can't help thinking of the first BASIC INSTINCT whenever I hear about this movie. Am I the only one?
"Back on the blackjack.....Shooter?"

Yes I thought the exact same thing.....
Old 03-02-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be checking this out for Wahlberg & Glover.
Old 03-02-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
The book this was based on [Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter] came out in 1993 (or thereabouts) and Most Wanted came out in 1997 and Shooter in 2007. Which makes Most Wanted the rip-off of the story the Shooter is based on. For my 2 cents, I'd rather read the book again. Shooter doesn't look too bad for a derivative action flick, but it looks like it strays too far from the original. I'll spare you the spoilers.
Old 03-02-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read a review about Shooter where the main disappointment to the film is its focus on political affairs rather than the action aspect. I guess the reviewer thought the film just took itself too seriously for its own good.

And yes, I really think Training Day was a fluke. His films after it were Tears of the Sun, which had a lot of potential and King Arthur which I thought was just awful. I'm glad he pulled out of American Gangster (Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe). The film is now directed by Ridley Scott.
Old 03-05-07, 11:00 AM

Well I think he is pretty awesome director. And teamed up with Wahlberg and Glover seem like a slam dunk to me. I have heard great things about the book it is based on and I am really excited to see it. I never saw Most Wanted, but I remember the trailers for it and I gotta say this looks better and Wahlberg is more believable.
Old 03-05-07, 11:13 AM
Banned

Looks really bad, hope I'm wrong though
Old 03-05-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess my thread about the movie was just too ahead of it's time?

= J
Old 03-08-07, 04:02 PM

sorry tarantino...my bad. i guess im just tooo excited for this movie. i feel like i havent seen a reall good action flick in a while....

check out what i saw on einsider...they are running a contest on eyespot where you can mashup your own shooter trailer for a contest. but even without the possible prize it's pretty funny to re-edit this trailer. explosion...sniper..wahlber..explosion...glover...hehehe

check it out: http://einsiders.com/iscoop/index.ph..._from=&ucat=1&
Old 03-08-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'll be there. i feel like there are 3 or 4 threads about this movie.
Old 03-13-07, 01:20 PM

yea, i cant wait to see it. maybe there are so many threads cuz this movie looks that cool. sweet news from me actually...my friend scored tickets to a sneak peek tonight and is taking me cuz he knew how excited i was for this movie. i cant wait. it should be great. ill be sure to let you guys know how it is. but im sure we already know...awesome!
Old 03-14-07, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just returned from a screening. Wow! it was bad. Every cliche possible was used in this film. However, if you just want an action popcorn flick it is entertaining in that sense. To me, it semmed liked something Harrison Ford would have done if he were younger. Just my .02
Old 03-14-07, 09:24 AM

i went to a screening last night too. i thought it was great. better than i even expected. it was a fun action flick. best i have probably seen in a while. sorry you felt it was too cliched Premise, but i really enjoyed it for what it was...an awesome action movie with tons of fighting, explosions, and guns. and i thought wahlberg was great.
Old 03-14-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I guess each person sees something different in a film. I think that it did have all of the elements you described. But, you know what type of movie your in for when the gumshoe starts to dig deeper than they should. Implausibilities ensue.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.