Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else think that Pedro Almodovar is overrated?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else think that Pedro Almodovar is overrated? I think that he has a serious case of Martin Scorsesism (pre-The Departed). There are some famous directors that keep on making bad movies, but are still loved. I haven't seen a good Almodovar film since High Heels. And the only other good movies he has made are Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down and Woman on a Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. All his movies after 1991 have been awful, especially this recent piece of garbage, VOLVER. I can't stand his post-1990s movies that are supposed to be black comedies, but instead are just some seriously pretentious crap and are emotionally unrelatable. Yes, people love them and that's fine, but almost every single other Spanish movie I've seen are a lot better than Almodovar's flicks, such as movies done by Juan Medem, Alex De La Iglesia or any movies starring Lenor Watling, Fele Martinez, or Luis Tosar.
Old 01-02-07, 12:34 PM

...dunno about overrated...

he's not really my style, but I really liked All About My Mother.
Old 01-02-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I couldn't disagree more with the Scorsese comparison, but Volver looked really, really bad to me.
Old 01-02-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bravesmg, so I guess you thought the following Scorsese films were good? Gangs of New York, Aviator, Bringing Out the Dead, Kundun

Volver is just awful. I can't believe it has such high marks at rottentomatoes.com
Old 01-02-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toddly6666
Bravesmg, so I guess you thought the following Scorsese films were good? Gangs of New York, Aviator, Bringing Out the Dead, Kundun
Every director has the occassional dud. Most people laude Scorsese for the body of his work. In your previous post, you simply wrote "pre-The Departed." That seems to dismiss half a dozen absolute masterpieces as well as several brilliant films beyond those.
Old 01-02-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Volver is just awful. I can't believe it has such high marks at rottentomatoes.com
Actually, yes. I really liked Aviator and Bringing out the Dead, and I thought Gangs of New York was amazing. I haven't seen Kundun, but that list makes me feel like I missed something...
Old 01-02-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Huh!? "Volver" is not awful. It's classic Almodovar. Right up there with "Women on the Verge".

Also, "The Aviator" is not a bad film.
Old 01-02-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I only saw "All About My Mother" and thought it was dreadful.
I was surprised because I expected to like it after what I'd heard...
Old 01-02-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mr Salty, i'm sorry about the Scorsese confusion. I mean directors that get famous with a bunch of movies which are good (Raging Bull till Goodfellas), and then still get positive reviews for anything they do after even if the movies suck because of their name. Another is Woody Allen - he got lucky with Matchpoint - but he's finished.
Old 01-02-07, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In short no, I don't find him overrated, and I've happened to enjoy quite a bit of his post '91 work, 'Kika' and 'All About My Mother' in particular. It goes without saying that there are a number of other very good Spanish directors producing quality work, with Medem most deserving of attention IMO. Aside from 'Acción Mutante', which I campily enjoyed years ago, Alex De La Iglesia pictures have honestly left me rather ambivalent, although he certainly has a drove of devoted fans as well. Still, different strokes for different folks. I'd rewatch an Almodovar film over Iglesia just about anytime. Most recently, I'd say 'Crimen Perfecto's' first half plays out like a facsimile of an Almodovar film before moving into more Iglesia-like territory.

As much of a Woody fan as I happen to be, on that point, I can't really disagree with your conclusion, although I personally cut some slack for 'Melinda and Melinda', as I enjoyed it. Still, I wouldn't say he continued to get good reviews. Woody, unlike Scorcese in some respects, has taken his lumps and been panned critically for a number of films in the past. Aside from 'The Departed, I'm also not a fan of quite a bit of Scorsese's work the past few years.

So, two out of three points aren't all bad.

Last edited by meritocracy; 01-02-07 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-02-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sweet and Lowdown was good too.
Old 01-03-07, 09:33 AM

I agree both Scorsese and Almodovar are overated big time. The only Almodovar film I actually liked was Bad Education, and it was a tad predictable. Scorsese is decent, but nowhere near the director most make him out to be. He makes "Good" movies, not great ones. Of course, if you're viewing is limited to Hollywood or North American film, I can see the attraction towards Scosese as he's better then the majority of directors producing films for that market.
Old 01-03-07, 09:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Not at all. Almodovar is one of those directors where I really have to force myself to watch his films. I don't know why, they just never sound that appealing. But then I watch them, and love them. He's pretty consistent, IMHO, unlike Scorcese and Allen, who both have their share of duds.
Old 01-03-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Groucho: I agree with you. I've had Talk to Her sitting on my DVD rack unwatched since it came out on DVD.
Old 01-03-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by splattii2
...The only Almodovar film I actually liked was Bad Education, and it was a tad predictable...
That's the only one I didn't much like. It wasn't bad but too grim. Other than that, I like all his movies (including Volver) a lot, so I don't think he is overrated at all.
Old 01-03-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, I'm still curious to see what Almadovar will do next, such as Scorsese. Almadovar is certainly interesting, but i've just been left hanging with him. But still, I will see any of his future films, because I hope he can impress me as he did with High Heels, Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down and Woman on a Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.

I can't believe I left out my third favorite Spanish director - Bigas Luna.
Old 01-03-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought Talk to Her was pretty damn good. I haven't seen too many of his other films.
Old 01-03-07, 10:21 PM

I had to watch several of Almodovar's early films when I was in film school, and they just weren't for me. I'm not a big fan of foreign films to begin with, so maybe I'm not qualified to make an objective declaration. But I would say he's probably overrated. I'd probably say the same of any acclaimed filmmaker whose work, by and large, I don't like. Because, to me, what does it matter if I think a filmmaker has talent if I don't like his end product? He could be skilled at his craft, but if I'm bored to tears or hate the movies, am I really going to care about his talent?
Old 01-03-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't like golf but I can appreciate Tiger Woods' talent. There's a big difference between enjoying a work of art and appreciating it.
Old 01-03-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't make me take off my sunglasses!
Old 01-04-07, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't like golf but I can appreciate Tiger Woods' talent. There's a big difference between enjoying a work of art and appreciating it.
I agree. But how great are you going to think a filmmaker is if you don't like his films? Even if you can appreciate his talent, you'd still probably say he's overrated, I would think.
Old 01-04-07, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Groucho: I agree with you. I've had Talk to Her sitting on my DVD rack unwatched since it came out on DVD.
His best, IMO. Give it a shot. Didn't think I'd like it as I wasn't a big fan of his, but this one was really engaging.
Old 01-04-07, 08:16 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I like his movies, but they're not really my thing and I don't get all the critical raves he gets.
Old 05-15-08, 04:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this was the most recent non-bargain Almodovar thread.

Finally opened up my boxset and watched my first film of his.

Absolutely loved All About My Mother. If all his films are like this, I'm going to need a box of kleenex or two.

And if the other films are up to this par, it will be the best $23 I've ever spent on DVDs.
Old 05-15-08, 04:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 908 Likes on 768 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this was the most recent non-bargain Almodovar thread.

Finally opened up my boxset and watched my first film of his.

Absolutely loved All About My Mother. If all his films are like this, I'm going to need a box of kleenex or two.

And if the other films are up to this par, it will be the best $23 I've ever spent on DVDs.
i loved "Talk To Her" and "Volver" more recently. overrated? no.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.