Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone see Pan's Labyrinth?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-16-05, 07:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
del Torro's "Pan's Labyrinth" in postproduction (Pics)

I’ve been looking forward to this and At the Mountains of Madness since I first heard them mentioned on the Hellboy movie site. From the imdb listing it looks like another subtitled one. I hope so. Del Torro’s Spanish dialogue flicks have a different feel to them. They seem like more personal works and have more of an intimate feel to me. Doug Jones is in this one, too!

I’m stoked that this is postproduction. Hopefully we can put this alongside V for Vendetta and A Scanner Darkly for the beginning of a bitchin’ 2006

(happy.)

The poster:

Last edited by Kudama; 11-16-05 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-17-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The man called me his homie and has given me a hug every time I've seen him. I'll watch anything he directs. I look forward to seeing this.
Old 11-17-05, 01:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
The man called me his homie and has given me a hug every time I've seen him. I'll watch anything he directs. I look forward to seeing this.
I gave him my Lobster Johnson Goggles at a convention in San Diego. His hug nearly killed me. I have loved him since Cronos.

We're in the same boat, my friend.

(Are we fighting over this fat, Mexican guy?)
Old 11-17-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Namedroppers.

This movie looks great. I have no idea what it's about, but it looks great.
Old 11-17-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks really awesome, but then again, so did Hellboy. Either way, I'm still looking forward to this movie now.
Old 11-17-05, 06:52 PM
Banned

I loved Hellboy. Hell, I love every movie this guy's done. Even (gulp) Mimic despite the fact that the studio attempted to murder it (where the hell did that ending come from?).
Old 01-05-06, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pan's Labyrinth Teaser

The teaser for Pan's Labyrinth is up and looks pretty cool! Can't wait for the release of this one!

http://www.dvdrama.com///ramaplayer....=237&nostart=1
Old 01-05-06, 06:13 AM
Suspended

Looks incredible. But for me, no Castillian language track = no sale.
Old 01-12-06, 05:47 AM

No-one else is looking forward to it?
Old 01-12-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
They've had downloadable versions up at twitchfilm for a while. Anything by Del Toro is a Must-Buy for me. Of course, the sooner he's done with this one and Hellboy 2 means the sooner he gets to "At the Mountains of Madness". Can't wait for this one.
Old 01-12-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Loved the Devils Backbone, will probably dig this just as much.
Old 01-12-06, 10:39 AM

Wow, looks much more atmospheric than I thought it would. Cool Cthulhu vibe.
Old 09-01-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CHUD has posted a teaser trailer for this movie and unfortunately I don't know if this trailer is the same as the one that the OP indicated (the original link sends me to a DVD website).

This movie looks absolutely stunning and I wish I could go to the Toronto Film Festival to watch this. I can't wait for December.
BTW, this film is in Spanish if you didn't know.

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=7522

Direct link to the trailer: http://www.chud.com/demo/pantease.html
Old 09-02-06, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never been a Del Toro fan (hated Hellboy), but this has been getting really good word of mouth and that teaser is really nice. Didn't know it was rated R either which is kind of suprising. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 09-02-06, 10:01 AM

I'm seeing this next week at the Toronto Film Festival. Can't wait. It's one of the films I was looking forward to when I saw the film list for this year's festival.
Old 09-03-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
CHUD has posted a teaser trailer for this movie and unfortunately I don't know if this trailer is the same as the one that the OP indicated (the original link sends me to a DVD website).

This movie looks absolutely stunning and I wish I could go to the Toronto Film Festival to watch this. I can't wait for December.
BTW, this film is in Spanish if you didn't know.

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=7522

Direct link to the trailer: http://www.chud.com/demo/pantease.html
This is a new trailer -- for the US release. I'm wondering if there's a schedule for a Spanish DVD yet.
Old 09-14-06, 10:58 PM

I saw Pan's Labyrinth yesterday, and it was fantastic. I've seen 20 films at the Festival this week alone, and this is easily one of the best. It's probobly one of the best films I've seen this year to be honest. Guillermo Del Toro was there, and told us that this was (in my words) "a sequal of sorts to Devil's Backbone". He suggested that since Devil's Backbone was about a boy, he should do a film about a girl in a similar vein. This is NOT a children's movie, and had some pretty violent scenes. It's basically a fairytale/fantasy for adults. I don't want to ruin anything, so I'll stop there to avoid any spoilers by mistake. The characters and atmosphere were just spectacular. It's going to be a long wait, but I want a DVD for this thing ASAP. If you get a chance to see this on the big screen, it's worth it.
Old 09-15-06, 12:14 AM

You lucky bastard, splattii! I missed it last week when it played near me. I'm still kicking myself.
Old 09-15-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's the closing night selection for the New York Film Festival - and I'm hoping to be there!
Old 10-12-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just saw it last night - my two word review: Fucking Amazing

I lucked out and was able to attend a marketing screening, but I already knew about the film, and was greatly anticipating it - most people knew nothing about it, and pretty much everyone out of the 250 people attending, absolutely loved it - subtitles and all.

Here's a write-up from Frank Darabont that sells the movie better than I could, and I agree with every word he writes. (BTW, he doesn't even touch the plot, so don't worry about spoilers):

This is not to be confused with a review. I'm not a critic and I hate reviews, so I wouldn’t write one even if I could. This is the informal reaction of a movie lover, offered in the manner of Jackson Pollack throwing paint at a canvas—emotional and messy. (Anybody who feels cheated not getting a plot summary and all that review-y stuff should stop reading now, because this will surely frustrate them. I won’t be giving a single story detail. They’ll be able to get that kind of thing in plenty of other places, if that’s what they want…but I, for one, urge everybody to avoid reviews and see the film knowing as little about it in advance as possible, as I was lucky enough to do.)

Bear in mind also that my reaction can hardly be deemed unbiased, because Guillermo is a dear friend and I love him. Consider that caveat a given. Now, putting my personal feelings toward him aside as best I can, let me say this:

I think PAN'S LABYRINTH is a masterpiece. The real deal. A perfect film. A gem.

I had the pleasure of hosting an informal “friends and family” screening of PAN'S about a month ago on the old Samuel Goldwyn lot here in Hollywood (right across the street from the venerable Formosa Café, known to movie buffs as the place where Lana Turner tossed a drink in Lt. Edmund Exley’s face in L.A. CONFIDENTIAL). It was my way of welcoming Guillermo back to Los Angeles after his extended stay in Spain filming PAN’S…he was gone almost two years and sorely missed by his friends! Eighty or so people showed up, and I don’t think there was a person attending who wasn’t knocked out by the film. We gave it a standing ovation, and a sincere one. Jeff Goldblum came out of the theater afterward looking like a five year-old who’d just seen his first movie, eyes wide as proverbial saucers. Clive Barker was grinning like a proud papa (or a homicidal maniac, I couldn’t really tell). I was dazed and positively high with admiration. Somewhere in the ether, I swear to you, I could hear Jean Cocteau applauding.

PAN’S LABYRINTH is a return to the notion of film as art—one man’s vision, from the heart, the gonads, and the gut. It's gorgeous and unique and very moving. As a filmmaker, I found it both humbling and inspiring—humbling because it sets the bar so high; inspiring because it shows what passionate filmmaking can and should be. It is a gauntlet thrown down, a declaration that movies should count for more than just opening weekend grosses, that “Ars Gratia Artis” shouldn’t just be a forgotten slogan in a dead language decorating a roaring lion logo.

I’ve seldom seen a movie more in love with film—with the very idea of film. It rolls around in its love of cinema like a dog in grass. Every frame exudes a love of movies…but not the easy, referential kind that recycles other films in the guise of “hip homage.” This is a purer love born of a filmmaker’s desire to be daring, original, to take chances. It is Guillermo’s gift to anybody who ever had their breath taken away the first time they saw a Kubrick or a Scorsese or a Spielberg bust a new move in cinema. It reeks of classicism—the way it’s shot, paced, edited, scored. It’ll feel old-fashioned to some—but that is one of its greatest strengths: there isn’t a whiff of MTV-era filmmaking about it.

Letting my personal feelings sneak back in for a moment, can I just tell you what a thrill it is to see a friend as deserving as Guillermo hit his artistic stride?

Is it a huge film? A blockbuster? The next LORD OF THE RINGS? No. The only things epic about PAN’S LABYRINTH are its emotional landscape and the power of its imagination—otherwise it’s intensely personal and intimate, small enough to hold in the palm of your hand. Though it has its share of thrilling moments, it’s not a thrill ride…it’s a rumination, a meditation, a journey through fairy tale magic and gut-wrenching realism. That it blends these things at all is ambitious, that it blends them perfectly is a miracle. Stephen King, who just saw the movie yesterday and loved it, wrote me an email calling it “an R-rated fairy tale,” and that’s as accurate a description as you can get.

Those who know Guillermo only by his more commercial films are in for a big surprise. Those who know him by his more personal films like DEVIL'S BACKBONE...well, they're in for a surprise too. PAN'S is definitely in the DEVIL'S BACKBONE camp (one could say it’s a spiritual companion to it), but even DEVIL'S BACKBONE—excellent though it is—just had its ass handed to it.

In a world where movies have largely become marketing commodities micromanaged by business school graduates, PAN’S LABYRINTH stands like a rare and radiant flower that unexpectedly grew and blossomed atop the crap heap. It reminds us that “art for art’s sake” is still possible in film even amidst all the franchise-and-tentpole “product” being shoveled year-round onto our screens. I bless del Toro for the reminder.

Go see it. Drag your family and friends. Tell strangers. We must support movies like this. Like government, we get only the movies we deserve, so vote with your box office dollars. Next November, when conversation rages about what movie you’ll all go see that weekend, convince everybody to go to PAN’S LABYRINTH. If your dorky friends are hypnotized sheep who can’t bear to pass up whatever big, shiny Hollywood poop-fest is being sold to them with their Happy Meals that week, go by yourself.

For once, do yourself and other film lovers a favor and pay to see a small but important film on the big screen. Don’t be a dickhead and “wait for the DVD.” If we support films like PAN’S LABYRINTH, perhaps we’ll get more daring and original films once in a while. If we don’t, all we’ll be left with are RUSH HOUR sequels and BEWTICHED remakes...and nobody to blame for them but ourselves.

Originally Posted by Forum Troll
Looks incredible. But for me, no Castillian language track = no sale.
BTW, the dialog is Castillian Spanish. What made you think otherwise?
Old 10-12-06, 06:03 PM
Banned

I've been anxious over this since the second I first heard about it. I've been a rabid fanatic of del Torro's films since the night I first saw Cronos. Hell, I love Mimic, even though he's not too proud of it himself. I finally got to see the teaser for Pan's on a teeny litlle screen and was super-charged.

Hearing what people here, who have been so fortunate to have seen it, are saying is...is ..Well, sitting here at work, I seriously got tears of joy.

I can wait...but it hurts to wait. The agony of the fanatic.
Old 11-20-06, 10:20 PM

Here's the effing trailer and it looks effing amazing:

http://trailers.picturehouse.com/pan...er_640x360.mov
Old 12-26-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't even know this was coming out

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pans_labyrinth/
Old 12-26-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want to see this badly, but I don't think it has opened in Chicago yet.
Old 12-26-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm seeing it this Friday. Finally a fantasy movie my wife will see with me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.