Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Freedom Writers (Hilary Swank)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everytime I see this trailer, I think of Dangerous Minds. It it is the same movie. Anyone else think that?

IMDB
Trailer
Old 12-25-06, 05:30 PM

Saw this at a screening a while ago and wasn't too moved by it. It is obviously unoriginal. I think that it's just aimed at this generations kids, while the previous generations had other movies like Dangerous Minds and Stand and Deliver.
Old 12-25-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The inspiring teacher plot has run its course, if for no other reason than no one seems to bother modifying the formula all that much. This IS Dangerous Minds minus a Coolio soundtrack.

And what's with all of these "inspired by a remarkable true story" films about to come out? It seemed like all but one or two of the previews I saw the other night were inspired by true events.
Old 12-25-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I think all actresses have to play fish out of water Ghetto teachers at some point. It looks good on their resume.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-26-06 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-25-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw it at a test screening a while back also. Nothing special at all in this one and label it just Dangerious minds without the staple song.

Hell, even the true story in this one shows that her method of teaching seemed to only work in that one situation and she couldn't replicate it for other classes.
Old 12-25-06, 10:48 PM

When I saw the preview I just thought .... oh it must be that time every couple years where they come out with a movie about a white teacher who help there students in the hood/ghetto.

Last edited by danstheday; 12-25-06 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-25-06, 11:40 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hell, this year's Take the Lead was the exact same formula as well, although it at least replaced the classroom setting with a ballroom dance theme.
Old 12-26-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Calculus, poetry, literature, gospel music, ballroom dancing, freedom writing ... these movies have nothing in common.

das