Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

any good CyberPunk movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-06, 03:32 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recomend me any good movies that are considered "cyberpunk?"

I bought this movie, Pinocchio 972 or something like that, because it seemed like a darker version of A.I., and the cover said it was cyber punk. The movie was garbage in my opinion. It started out so-so but by the end when that...

SPOILERS
when that girls head turned into a big cookie I was thinking cyberpunk is just a buzzword to make crappy movies sound good

The movie was awful. Then I rented Future Kill based on the cover and was really disappointed. I was expecting some kind of humanoid, like that of the cover, to appear and kill people with his razor like hands, and this would all take place in a futuristic setting.

Then rented Testsuo the Iron Man...I was thinking that maybe this was the inspiration for Tetsuo from Akira, and that it would be an actual story about a man dealing with this strange and twisted power and it was kind of like that pinocchio movie.
Old 11-18-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blade Runner?
Old 11-18-06, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some other good recommendations are The Terminator, Dark City, and Repo Man.
Old 11-19-06, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Other than Blade Runner, not really.

And even then, Blade Runner was more of a pre-cyberpunk movie since it came out well before the movement really took hold (ie, before the publication of Neuromancer).
Old 11-19-06, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Guess it depends on how you define "cyberpunk"? Wikipedia has a list that's a good place to get some ideas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...yberpunk_films

You mention "Akira", so I'm guess anime counts? If so, there's some there: stuff like "Ghost in the Shell", "Metropolis", "Serial Experiments Lain", "Macross Plus" (and others).

Some others that I like (though many of these movies elicit wildly different reactions in viewers, so be warned): "Avalon" (live-action from creator of "Ghost in the Shell" -- I didn't care for it so much, but it has many fans), "Strange Days" (a really underrated sci-fi thriller IMO), "Hardware" (sadly needing a DVD release, from director of "Dust Devil"), "Total Recall", "Cypher" (from director of "Cube"). I'm assuming "The Matrix" or "Minority Report" are too obvious. Check out the wiki list and see if others catch your eye.

Tough breaks on "Pinocchio" and "Future-Kill". The box and blurbs for "Pinocchio" got me excited to rent that too -- only to get 70 minutes of people throwing up, running around, and spinning the camera (I really like "Tetsuo" though). And "Future-Kill" has that great Giger front cover-art -- and nothing in the movie to match
Old 11-19-06, 11:03 AM

Johnny Mnemonic

Last edited by krunchyfrogg; 06-06-07 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-19-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by krunchyfrogg
Johnny Mnemonic
He's looking for good cyberpunk movies.
Old 11-19-06, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mother of all Cyberpunk movie websites:

http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/

Top rated according to that site:

Alien
Blade Runner
Brazil
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
La Jetée
Matrix
Metropolis
Tetsuo (The Iron Man)
The Terminator
Twelve Monkeys

But he then further breaks them down by adherence to themes, visuals, etc. A really excellent site.

Last edited by Strafe; 11-19-06 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-19-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought Thomas est amoureux (Thomas in Love) was interesting and worth watching. In the near future agoraphobic Thomas hasn't left his apartment in over 8 years. Thanks to computers and the internet he doesn't need to. It's a film with a unique feel, and is filmed from a first person perspective (you never see the main character, only what he sees).
Old 11-19-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still holding out for a film version of Neuromancer (but I'd settle for Snow Crash).
Old 11-20-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Yeah, Cypher aka Company Man is really nice. Pick up the R2 2 disc edition if you can.
Old 11-21-06, 02:45 AM

Surprised only one person mentioned The Matrix.

I'd add 'War Games' to the list. Even though it was released a year before the novel Neuromancer, it adheres to a cyberpunk ethic.
Old 11-22-06, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Giving the matter further thought, I think I might include Wim Wenders' "Until the End of the World" in a list of cyberpunk movies.

It's not really a science fiction film as such but stylistically and thematically it hits a number of cyberpunk chords. At times it certainly has the feel of a William Gibson or Bruce Sterling novel. And William Hurt sort of looks like John Shirley.