Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you love, but with some performances you hate

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-17-06, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive me if this has been done, i did a search and didnt come up with anything.

I was watching "Remember the Titans" the other day, a movie which i truely like. But I cant stand Ryan Hurst as Gary in it. His lines are horrible, and he doesnt pass as a high schooler at all. In fact, a couple of times, i actually cringed when he said his lines. It got me to thinking, which movies do i love, but have some performances in them that drive me batty? What are some of yours? Could be overracting, bad lines, anything.

Mine:

Remember the Titans - Ryan Hurst

Philadelphia - Mary Steenburgen - Her opening statements to the jury, and her "facts" is annoying

Thin Red Line - Nick Nolte. I thought he was just to old for the part.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - Alan Rickman, some might disagree, but i thought his acting was camp.

Gotti - William Forsythe as Sammy the Bull. Horrible choice, tarnished, what i think is a great performance by Armand Assante.

The Postman - Will Patton. I might be the only one who likes this movie, but i didnt care much for Patton in it, and i usually really like his work

Gone in 60 Seconds -Angelina Jolie. Hotness aside, and the film is obvious fluff, she is crap in this.

These are just my opinionsm, and i have more I juist cant think of them right now.

Yours?
Old 11-17-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dakota Fanning in War of the Worlds. Her endless squealing just grates on my nerves.
Old 11-17-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Shelley Duvall in The Shining...if I had to be cooped up with that stringy bitch I'd go psycho too.
Old 11-17-06, 09:00 PM

For me, it is pretty much anything with Jennifer Lopez or John Travolta, they both can easily ruin a movie for me. I really enjoyed Coyote Ugly(as a guilty pleasure), but Piper was a horrible actress ( I haven't seen her in anything else). I love Alan Rickman by the way(Sense and Sensibility was his best). Thanks.
Old 11-18-06, 09:27 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
DRACULA -- Keanu Reeves

And I loved Patton in THE POSTMAN, personally...
Old 11-18-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Alan Rickman's over-the-top-campy-frustrated sheriff *MADE* that movie. Without him bringing the laughs there is no reason to even watch "Prince of Thieves".
Old 11-18-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Planet of the Apes-Charlton Heston

Halloween-Donald Pleasance

Pulp Fiction-Quentin Tarantino
Old 11-18-06, 07:40 PM

Al Pacino in 'Heat'.

I can't stand the way he constantly barks his lines. Makes him seem like he's in a different movie.
Old 11-19-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris Tucker in "The Fifth Element" -- like nails on a chalkboard to me, everytime he talks (it was cute for a couple minutes, but got old really fast)

Michael Madsen in "Sin City" -- sounded like he skipped class the day the cast learned how to deliver the movie's dialog in a semi-believable way

Last edited by brainee; 11-19-06 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-19-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cary Elwes in Saw. I love the movie, but he was terrible.
Old 11-19-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always hated Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin in Spider-Man. Willem usually does fine, but this was just bad in my opinion. I like the movie otherwise.
Old 11-19-06, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by King Benny
Thin Red Line - Nick Nolte. I thought he was just to old for the part.
But wasn't his character supposed to be old and act "old?"

Brittany Murphy in Sin City
Miri Fabian (Jewish mother w/ a daughter) in Schindler's List
Claudia Cardinale in Once Upon a Time in the West
Eric Bana in Black Hawk Down
Old 11-19-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First thing I thought of was Richard Schull in Cockfighter, a movie I really like. Schull was a fine actor, but he was seriously miscast in this part as a Southerner. Especially since every other performance was pitch-perfect.
Old 11-19-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
Michael Madsen in "Sin City" -- sounded like he skipped class the day the cast learned how to deliver the movie's dialog in a semi-believable way

This was the first thing that popped into my head. I know the movie was supposed to be over the top and not realistic in any way, but the rest of the cast delivered their lines just like they would in any other movie, but Madsen seriously sounded like a guy that had never acted before in his life doing his first scene ever. He just didn't sound believable at all. Who knows maybe he was supposed to sound like that but I doubt it.
Old 11-19-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim Carrey in The Dead Pool great movie but that scene was just stupid
Old 11-20-06, 02:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shemp
Al Pacino in 'Heat'.

I can't stand the way he constantly barks his lines. Makes him seem like he's in a different movie.

Old 11-20-06, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Cary Elwes in Saw. I love the movie, but he was terrible.
Agree, it's even worse when one re-views the movie. Gotta admit, didn't notice it much the first time, but the second time...egh :S
Old 11-20-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by King Benny
The Postman - Will Patton. I might be the only one who likes this movie, but i didnt care much for Patton in it, and i usually really like his work
I also liked the film and I think Patton, playing against type, is the best thing about it. He came off as much more menacing and chilling than a more obviously villainous type would have been. While not a great film I think it is underrated and that's the reason Patton's performance was overlooked.
Old 11-20-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hayden Christensen - Star Wars II and III.

Michael Madsen - Sin City
Old 11-20-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction - She was really annoying. I almost wanted her to OD.

Tim Roth in Reservoir Dogs - He acted like a pompous little jerk. I wish Mr. Blonde had left Nash alone and dealt with him instead.

Carrie Fisher in Return of the Jedi - She could've at least attempted to hide the fact that she was bored and coked out of her mind.

Paul Gleason in Die Hard - It wasn't his fault the role was written this way, but his police chief was a pain in the ass and nearly brought the 2nd half of this classic movie down.

Andie MacDowell in Four Weddings and a Funeral - Great flick, but the leading lady was lifeless and dull. Why Hugh Grant was madly in love with her I'll never know. And MacDowell was so good just a year earlier in Groundhog Day.
Old 11-20-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kate Capshaw in Temple of Doom.

Edit: Seeing the "Inside Man" thread just reminded me of how much I hated Jodie Foster in that.

Edit #2: Just remembered another one. Parker Posey in Superman Returns.

Last edited by taa455; 11-20-06 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-20-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Linda Fiorentino (sp?) in Dogma. I love that movie, but I almost can't handle her sarcastic deadpan delivery of every damn line.
Old 11-20-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love Akira, but can stand the new dub work on it.
I'm so used to the Streamline pictures dub... and I cringe when I hear "CANADA!"
Old 11-20-06, 08:51 PM

Jean Arthur was a fine comic actress, but she was totally wrong for the main female role in Shane. She gave a really shrill and miscast performance.
Old 11-20-06, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ethan Phillips in The Island
Grace Jones in everything.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.