Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cutting Moments

Old 11-16-06, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cutting Moments

Jesus Christ.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159391/

I just recently watched this short film by Douglas Buck. It's available on the DVD entitled Family Portraits: A Trilogy of America. It's only about 20 minutes long, but it was without a doubt the most disturbing film I've ever seen. And this is from a guy who found Cannibal Holocaust only mildly disturbing. If you like fucked up movies, go rent this right now. I won't even tell what it's about or what happens. Don't read spoilers, just see it.

For those who have seen it, what did you think?
Old 11-16-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts
I remember seeing this back in 97 or 98 at some film festival. There were big warnings in the program about how 'shocking' this was supposed to be. I was sitting right up front which probebly made the images even worse.

I was cringing non-stop for the whole bathroom scene, by the time she and her husband were in the bedroom I couldn't even look at the screen. I was staring down at my lap, while the audience behind me were groaning and yelling at the horrible stuff happening on-screen.

Spoiler:
I don't even know what actually happened. I seem to remember getting the impression that the guy cut off her breasts and his penis?

All and all, a memerable night out at the cinema.
Old 11-16-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
I liked Cutting Moments. It has that squirm effect on people I get a kick out of. Thankfully, it's only a short. If I remember correctly, Tom Savini had his hand in the effects.

I was disappointed that the 2 other films (Home, Prologue) in the "trilogy" were rather tame compared to Cutting Moments.