Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you think any movies give a realistic portrayal of the typical college experience?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do you think any movies give a realistic portrayal of the typical college experience?

Old 10-30-06, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't think so. If anyone has a movie that they think fits, I'd love to hear it. But I think there's a great movie, an All-American drama type (or maybe it's more a TV show) out there about the great American college experience. I'm not talking about a straight comedy.
Old 10-30-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts
You'd probably run up against college sports type movies like The Program & Rudy.
Old 10-30-06, 01:51 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I can't think of any. Of course it would be boring seeing someone study 4-5 hours a day(which is what my college experience consisted of).
Old 10-30-06, 02:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
PCU is probably the most representative of my college experience.
Old 10-30-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bhk
I can't think of any. Of course it would be boring seeing someone study 4-5 hours a day(which is what my college experience consisted of).
That sounds about right for me too. I'm about as far from PCU as possible, I think the closest would be Brenden Frazer in With Honors when he was doing his thesis. Except that I lived in an apartment about the size of the bathroom he watched Moira Kelly shower in
Old 10-30-06, 02:34 PM

I think the problem is the "college experience" varies *so* much from college to college and person to person. I went to a small Ivy League college with about 5k undergrads and was on the fencing team so that dominated my time. Somone who went to a 50k undergrad school and had no involvement in athletics would have had a completely different experience.
Old 10-30-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually feel that Rules of Attraction pretty mimics the college experience... maybe a little less sadistic.
Old 10-30-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
The Paper Chase
Old 10-30-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
There's not really a typical college experience, there's always going to be extremes (those who stay-in and study constantly, those who go out, get wasted, and get laid every night). So encompassing both ends, I haven't really seen a lot of movies, but the sheer joy that you never quite realize until it's gone is definitely there in most of em.
Old 10-30-06, 03:46 PM

although the kids were a hell of a lot more pretentious than anyone i ever knew, i always thought KICKING & SCREAMING was a pretty good portrait of the college experience- especially that time right when/near when it ends and you realize you have no idea what comes next.

and no, i'm not talking about the will ferrell movie...
Old 10-30-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
I actually feel that Rules of Attraction pretty mimics the college experience... maybe a little less sadistic.
Agreed.
Old 10-30-06, 05:47 PM

Animal House?
Old 10-30-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rw2516
The Paper Chase
That and "Undeclared".
Old 10-30-06, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also think Undeclared was pretty dead-on as far as college depictions go. Maybe a little less zany.
Old 10-31-06, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
higher learning.

even though it was sorta biased, i thought it was a pretty good movie and kinda realistic about college life.
Old 10-31-06, 08:41 AM

I understand what you're saying about the everyone having a unique college experience, but I guess my point is that the college movies tend to gravitate towards the extremes...especially the silly but sometimes the dark. I guess what I'm envisioning is a college movie with a Dazed and Confused type tone and variety of characters. I'm not saying mimic the format (doesn't need to be all one day, doesn't need to have anything to do with drugs), but tone and characters.
Old 11-01-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Mostly bits and pieces.

"Higher Learning" captured some of the alienation a lot of students go through. (Esp. in regard to the guy who joined the Nazis.)

"Rules of Attraction" showed a lot of the craziness that goes on.

"PCU" was a decent example of the divisiveness between the various cliques and groups. While it's a comedy, there's a lot of truth in it.

And "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (TV) showed, in its fourth season, the disconnect you have between your old friends when you go to college, esp. between the ones who go to college and the ones who don't.

Actually, "Animal House" mirrors a lot of my college experience. It wasn't a fraternity, but an off-campus apartment complex I lived in. Just fucking full of crazy motherfuckers. I was sort of a cross between Bluto and D-Day, but with a 3.9 GPA. (Goddamned B in Calculus.)
Old 11-01-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
Animal House?

I remember one time in college we thought we had shot the Deans horse. But it was just a car backfiring! The horse still died! Must have been from a heart attack. That was a wacky semester!
Old 11-01-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I think Sure Thing captures the dorm room life well.
Old 11-01-06, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by harrydoyle
I understand what you're saying about the everyone having a unique college experience, but I guess my point is that the college movies tend to gravitate towards the extremes...especially the silly but sometimes the dark. I guess what I'm envisioning is a college movie with a Dazed and Confused type tone and variety of characters. I'm not saying mimic the format (doesn't need to be all one day, doesn't need to have anything to do with drugs), but tone and characters.

Kicking and Screaming (post-college)?
Old 11-01-06, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maxinquaye
i always thought KICKING & SCREAMING was a pretty good portrait of the college experience-
The scene in which people drunkenly shuffle to and warble along with "Buffalo Soldier" by Bob Marley sums up college in about five seconds.
Old 11-01-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Undeclared (TV) was most similar for me. We did a few more pranks and stuff than I recall from that show, but overall it was very close.
Old 11-02-06, 10:07 AM

Not a movie, but I'm with the people that said Undeclared was realistic for them. There were several times when I was watching that series where I was able to make parallels with my own college experiences.