Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that turned out to be way different than you thought?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that turned out to be way different than you thought?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pan's Labyrinth - I had heard this was a fantasy for adults but it was much darker and violent than I expected, and oh yeah it's not a fantasy film!
Old 06-26-07, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When i was 18 i went to the movies with a friend. For some reason the movie we wanted to see wasn't available (I can't remember if it was sold out) and we just sort of said, "What the hell, lets see that kid's movie: RoboCop."
Having not heard or seen anything about it I really thought it was some kind of kids action flick (I didn't notice the rating).
Man, I was blown away. I think it may have been the most bloody movie I had seen up until that time.
Old 06-27-07, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stranger than fiction comes to mind most recently as a movie that was advertised as a comedy but really was a dramedy that turned out to be nothing like I thought it was going to be.
...It actually turned out to be WAY BETTER than I thought it was going to be! I actually think it's probally the best & most underrated Will Ferrell movie & it's probally the best & most underrated movie in 2006.
Comedians don't always make the best moves to drama. Adam Sandler attempted drama in Click with less than positive feedback (Althrough I'm one of the few who injoyed the film). Will Ferrell proved in Stranger than fiction that not only is he a good comedian but he is also a pretty good dramatic actor as well.
I was extremly impressed with this movie for 2 reasons. First off the story was actually original and had an excellent script & second the cast was unique & the whole cast gave top-notch performances.
Old 06-27-07, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'The Invisible' was the most recent film that turned out completely different than what I went into it expecting. The trailer for this film projected a storyline COMPLETELY different than what ended up on the screen.

Not a terribly bad movie, but for 1/2 of it I was confused because it was so different.
Old 06-27-07, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Will Hunting Had no idea what to expect and was blown away.
Old 06-27-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
The Family Stone.
Old 06-27-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Natural Born Killers - I was expecting a kickass action flick, and instead got one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Not sure even why I put this in my Blockbuster queue, but I loved the whole thing. I thought it was just going to be a half-hearted attempt at film noir, but it was so much better.
Old 06-27-07, 08:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
Chuck and Buck. When I saw a trailer for the movie it seemed like an independent comedy about child hood friends. It turned out to be a movie about a homosexual with a boyhood crush on an old friend.

Super Troopers. I thought it would be a dumb comedy, somewhat worse than the latest offerings of Police Academy movies. It was actually much better than the trailers let on.

oddly, that movie weirded me out.
Old 06-27-07, 09:20 AM

For myself, it would be Turtles Can Fly. To me, the trailer has a totally different tone than the movie. The movie is much darker than the trailer implies.

And in this vein, a funny story about my in-laws. Ultra-religious, culture-clueless, they told us they went to the theater to see Addams Family Values thinking with "Family Values" in the title they were seeing something wholesome. They ended up leaving the theater not too long after the movie started. Hubby and I still laugh about that one.
Old 06-27-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Georgia Rule. I was dragged to this one against my will, btw. Based on the one or two ads that I saw I was expecting a sappy melodrama. Parts of the film still lived up to the sappy melodrama part, but the movie was all over the place. One minute it thinks its a comedy, the next its a serious drama about childhood sexual abuse and alcoholism. And it was unexpectedly raunchy in parts as well. The whole bj bit caught me off guard.

Also, Monster House. I was expecting just another CG-animated kid-flick, but I found it to have a suprising amount of appeal for the adult audience as well. I attribute that to the high quality of the animation (particularly the facial expressions of the characters), the voice performances, and the fact that the story and dialogue isn't dumbed-down for kids.

Last edited by Yavin; 06-27-07 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-27-07, 09:27 AM

Apocalypto - I was pleasantly surprised by the unexpected amount of action in the movie.

Babe: Pig in the City - I was expecting a family film for kiddies and was happy to find one with themes and a tone/style that I could appreciate more as an adult.
Old 06-27-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I'm watching Bridge to Terabithia as I type.

You would think that Disney would have changed their marketing strategy with this movie by now.
Never read the book so when my daughter and I saw it in the theater, I was shocked by how different it was than I expected based on the commercials. But I loved what it really was.

Own the DVD now and my girls have seen it probably 10 times in the last week. I see the commercials now and I say to my wife that I can't believe they're still marketing it as a fantasy like Narnia.
Old 06-27-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Space_Monkey
Babe: Pig in the City - I was expecting a family film for kiddies and was happy to find one with themes and a tone/style that I could appreciate more as an adult.
I was impressed by Babe: Pig in the City as well & althrough not quite as good or memorable as the first Babe, I still think it was a great edition to the franchise.

Now that I think about it, besides Stanger than fiction, M*A*S*H: the movie turned out way different than I thought it would be.

I loved the TV series & think its one of the all-time greatest TV shows in my opinion but never seeing the movie before the TV show (Yeah I live under rock) I decided to "Blind Buy" M*A*S*H : the movie on DVD too see if it was anything like the TV show...
Boy was I wrong! What a mean spirited, unfunny horrible movie it turned out to be. Donald Sutherland annoyed the hell out of me the most in the film and he is nothing at all like Alan Alda's "Hawkeye".
I remember reading that Robert Altman hated the TV show, well I hated the movie & I've never read the book before the movie was made but he hated the book as well appearently.
Old 06-27-07, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shilex
The Fifth Element

I remember when I first saw the trailers for it, I thought it was gonna be Blade Runner Redux. I was really excited for an existential sci-fi art film. I was surprised by Chris Tucker and the slapstick nature of the movie. I kinda hated it the first time I saw it, but after relaxing and taking it for what it was, I enjoyed it.
I still think this is one of the worst marketed films of all time. Nobody knew from the trailers/advertising that it would be so funny.
Old 06-27-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Wicker Park
Stranger Than Fiction
Old 06-27-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Pan's Labyrinth - I had heard this was a fantasy for adults but it was much darker and violent than I expected, and oh yeah it's not a fantasy film!
took the words right out of my mouth
Old 06-27-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nateman241
Stranger than fiction comes to mind most recently as a movie that was advertised as a comedy but really was a dramedy that turned out to be nothing like I thought it was going to be.
...It actually turned out to be WAY BETTER than I thought it was going to be! I actually think it's probally the best & most underrated Will Ferrell movie & it's probally the best & most underrated movie in 2006.
Comedians don't always make the best moves to drama. Adam Sandler attempted drama in Click with less than positive feedback (Althrough I'm one of the few who injoyed the film). Will Ferrell proved in Stranger than fiction that not only is he a good comedian but he is also a pretty good dramatic actor as well.
I was extremly impressed with this movie for 2 reasons. First off the story was actually original and had an excellent script & second the cast was unique & the whole cast gave top-notch performances.
I agree that Stranger than Fiction is a great film. I didn't know Click was supposed to be a drama. Though Sandler was great being serious in Punch-Drunk Love.
Old 06-27-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JayDerek
I've heard this before too which surprises me because i thought everyone knew going in what kind of movie this was. I thought most of the trailers and promo material indicated it was a vampire flick...

Ok are you guys talking about this From Dust Till Dawn? Because how can that not be a vampire flick?
Old 06-27-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Catch and Release. I thought it was going to be a funny movie with Kevin Smith acting in it. What I got was a 2 hour 15 min borefest about Jennifer Garner crying about her dead cheating husband and then screwing his friend less than a week after he died.
Old 06-27-07, 03:43 PM

Bridge to Terebithia would be the most recent. I was disappointed that it wasn't all out fantasy, but I enjoyed the story that was there.

I guess Memento as well, when we went to see it all we knew was "mystery about some guy with tattoos" and it was getting really good reviews.
Old 06-27-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Angel Eyes - The ads suggested some kind of supernatural movie, but it really was a very sweet, heart-wrenching love story/family drama. JLo was really good in this.

Cinderella Man - I thought it was going to be another boxing movie, but it ended up being more about a man and the lengths we went to save his family. I loved it so much more than I thought I would.
Old 06-27-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Goodfellas - I thought it would be some Godfather ripoff, but it was a different beast entirely.
Old 06-27-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Pan's Labrynth
Old 06-28-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
Pan's Labrynth
Watched this just last night for the first time and I whole-heartedly agree.
Old 06-28-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Office Space. I really thought ti would be more about a guy deciding to see what it would take to get fired.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.