DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   HOSTEL: PART II teaser trailer (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/481993-hostel-part-ii-teaser-trailer.html)

Seantn 10-27-06 06:53 PM

HOSTEL: PART II teaser trailer

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/hostelpartiiqt.html

I enjoyed part 1 quite a bit. I don't think Roth is an amazing director, but I loved the premise that he thought up. Hopefully this one will be fun as well.

This teaser is also showing on all prints of SAW III this weekend.

GoldenJCJ 10-27-06 07:07 PM

I didn't like the first one much, I think excessive nudity and gore does not necessarily make a good horror movie.

And even though this sequel looks like more of the same, I'm sure I'll end up renting it sometime down the line.

Matthew Chmiel 10-27-06 07:14 PM

At the midnight screening of Saw III, the entire theater nearly shit themselves when the trailer appeared.

After the greatness that was the first outing, I'm there opening night for the sequel.

Rubix 10-27-06 11:51 PM

saw the trailor at saw 3. eli roth is awesome. i can't wait for hostel 2.

Squirrel God 10-27-06 11:59 PM

Oh yes, there will be blood. :up:

RyoHazuki 10-28-06 12:15 AM

I actually enjoyed the first Hostel quite a bit. I thought it was the film Saw wanted to be so badly. Hopefully they add something new for the sequel and its not just Hostel rehashed.

Eric D. 10-28-06 02:28 AM

I thought the first Hostel was decent. I just wish Roth cut at least 20 minutes out of that insanely long first act. But once the actual "story" got going, I liked it. Can't tell much about the sequel from this teaser since there is no real footage from the film except for one shot at the end. But I'll probably end up seeing it no matter what. I just hope Roth's dialog is better in this film though.

DonnachaOne 10-28-06 03:17 AM

As for the teaser...

At my theater, every crowd I saw went nuts when that trailer appeared. Whoops and hollers. Now, at the very meat of it - what is it? There's no footage from the film, there's no stars, it tells you nothing - and the crowd loved it.

THAT'S how you make a teaser trailer.

"Americans have no imagination..."

Filmmaker 10-28-06 07:50 AM

I've always been reluctant to see HOSTEL because it sounded like a step removed from a snuff film, a movie of torture and repugnant violence without any greater purpose. Then I saw the infamous "eye scene" while watching SpikeTV's Scream Awards earlier this month and thought, ugh, now I'm eluctant to see HOSTEL because it looks so damn fake. I mean really, I was laughing when I should have been screaming. Is the whole movie this over-the-top and cheesy looking? And, furthermore, does the film have anything to say or is it just unpleasantness for its own sake?

Squirrel God 10-28-06 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I mean really, I was laughing when I should have been screaming. Is the whole movie this over-the-top and cheesy looking? And, furthermore, does the film have anything to say or is it just unpleasantness for its own sake?

You had the right reaction. You should have been laughing. I was laughing too. That moment is pure black comedy, and there are plenty more moments like that within the film. Yes, it's over the top and cheesy in places, but it's deliberately so by way of a nod and a wink to the horror films of the 80s and 90s. Hostel definitely does have something to say, but it would be unfair to expect anything immensely profound. It also does have plenty of moments where it wallows in the horror for its own sake, as all good horror films do, but it also innovates a little within the genre.

Filmmaker 10-28-06 08:11 AM

So it was never intended as straight horror? It's a "wink wink" at the audience film? Huh, it isn't advertised as such (nor is this sequel).

Squirrel God 10-28-06 08:38 AM

So it was never intended as straight horror? It's a "wink wink" at the audience film? Huh, it isn't advertised as such (nor is this sequel).

Eli Roth just doesn't make straight horrors. His previous film, Cabin Fever, was also a black comedy. But that's not to say that they don't contain any scares or gross outs at all - they just do so knowing their origins and not taking themselves too seriously all of the time. However, I should perhaps clarify that the winking at the audience is subtle - this is no Scary Movie X kind of thing where the film references and humour are so horribly blatant. The only reason you can't see the humour in the Hostel Part II teaser trailer is because you haven't seen the first movie yet. :)

Applejack 10-28-06 08:58 AM

Why don't you just shell out the $3 and find out for yourself?

How are we supposed to know exactly what movies you would like?

I thought it was good, as did a lot of other people. Others thought it was not good.

Filmmaker 10-28-06 12:35 PM

Thanks, Applejack, blindly waste money instead of getting advice from those in the "know"; you don't happen to work for the Bush administration, do you?

Maxflier 10-28-06 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Applejack
Why don't you just shell out the $3 and find out for yourself?

Exactly, just take the hour and a half and watch the movie. If you don't like it, then oh well, i'm sure it won't be the first nor the last bad movie you will have watched. Personally, I loved it.

Matthew Chmiel 10-28-06 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
Eli Roth just doesn't make straight horrors. His previous film, Cabin Fever, was also a black comedy. But that's not to say that they don't contain any scares or gross outs at all - they just do so knowing their origins and not taking themselves too seriously all of the time. However, I should perhaps clarify that the winking at the audience is subtle - this is no Scary Movie X kind of thing where the film references and humour are so horribly blatant. The only reason you can't see the humour in the Hostel Part II teaser trailer is because you haven't seen the first movie yet. :)

While I believe Hostel was the better made film, Cabin Fever pulled off the black comedy feel more efficiently. Whereas Cabin Fever was a direct nod to the horror films of the '80s (with the horror references abound), Hostel spent too much time trying to be it's own film rather than focusing on satirizing and referencing past horror films (however the Suicide Club homage was fantastic and completely out-of-nowhere).

Julie Walker 10-28-06 02:18 PM

I loved Hostel and found it to be a gripping intese freaky...and sometimes darkly amusing ride.

It's very well made in my opinion. Though the short attention span crowd hate it for it's ' slow pace'(which moves fairly well in my opinion) and lack of nonstop excessive torture/gore.

The teaser was awesome as well,and yes had darkly humorous tone to it with the "Americans lack imagination" line and the shot of all the weapons that can be used to torture and kill people.

And I like that no real footage for the film was shown. Finally a teaser done right!!

LG and other studios are notoriously lazy today,that their so called 'teasers' play like regular trailers and give away too much. A good example would be the Devil's Rejects teaser.

Unfortunately,I fear the teaser won't be on the dvd release when it comes out. Since studios are lazy today and don't include a films trailer/teaser 99% of the time now.

Dead 10-30-06 09:39 AM

Thanks, Applejack, blindly waste money instead of getting advice from those in the "know"; you don't happen to work for the Bush administration, do you?

Filmmaker, please don't add in comments like this. They add no value and tend to take things off topic.

CinemaNut 10-30-06 01:23 PM

I am a fan of Hostel, but there is nothing in the teaser that can show whether H2 will be good or bad - NOTHING. But I would expect H2 to be pretty decent btw.

On a side note: Anyone see a trailer for "Touristas"? It practically screams Hostel ripoff - though I aint ready to say it would suck or anything...I'm game for pain.

nodeerforamonth 10-30-06 02:02 PM

LOVED the first one.

By the way, this should be in the horror subforum!

LiquidSky 10-31-06 07:08 AM

I'll may rent it. So far, Roth has not impressed me.

Seantn 10-31-06 12:04 PM

By the way, this should be in the horror subforum!
No, I actually wanted people to see this topic.

jeffkjoe 11-01-06 06:59 PM

Brutal.

Chrisedge 11-01-06 09:06 PM

Since this has turned into a discussion of the first film, I recently watched it and was big time disapointed. Love the Saw movies (at least 1 & 2), but found this a big waste. Lots of big breasts for the incredibly long setup, and once they got going, you knew the "surprise" at the end instantly.

I wouldn't waste anytime ever watching it again, and wouldn't recommend it. I should watch Cabin Fever though, because it wasn't horrible and I think Eli could direct a decent movie.

Geofferson 12-21-06 09:02 AM

Teaser poster:

http://chud.com/nextraimages/hostel-part-iismall.jpg