Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official SAW III Thread (merged)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Official SAW III Thread (merged)

Old 10-27-06, 04:39 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Official SAW III Thread

My friend and I just got back from the first midnight showing of Saw III! First off, let me just say that this was by far the best film of the series. Finally the gimmicky spectacle of the deadly games are matched by legitamate character development. The film maintained more than adequate levels of suspense throughout its 2 hour running time. Sure the story is more than a little contrived, but this does little to spoil what is otherwise an extemely enjoyable and entertaining film. Overall, Saw III stands tall as an original American horror film in an era plagued with endless remakes.

Edit sorry about posting this in the wrong forum...it was 3 in the morning and I was very tired. Mods feel free to move it.

Last edited by NewYorkRipper; 10-27-06 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-27-06, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So why in the world is this in the DVD section?
Old 10-27-06, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
It would be really nice if there was a seperate sections specifically for discussion of movies.
Old 10-27-06, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by John Galt
It would be really nice if there was a seperate sections specifically for discussion of movies.
You mean like the "Movie Talk" forum
Old 10-27-06, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
Maybe I should have added [/sarcasm] to that last post
Old 10-27-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Or DVD Stalk... where its all about horror movies!
Old 10-27-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw it last night as well. I liked it a lot.
Old 10-27-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I hope to see it sometime this weekend. Not too many reviews out for it, but an 83% with only 6 reviews on the Tomato.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/saw_3/
Old 10-27-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's definitely the nastiest "Saw" film so far. This one goes into more character development of certain characters, and therefore some people may say that it is slower paced than the other two, but that was fine by me. It still has the quick cutting action/horror scenes, so I don't see why anyone would mind some slow scenes.

I actually prefer Saw II over Saw I. I just didn't care for Saw I quite as much. I liked the quick pace of Part II and something about the story just made me enjoy it a lot more. With part III, at the end, I wasn't sure if I liked Part II or Part III better. I still haven't decided.
Old 10-27-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
I might check this out tomorrow. Since I still haven't seen Part II yet, will it matter?
Old 10-27-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It doesnt require you to see part II but would probably help so you know where some of the characters have come from unless you have already read the plot outline of Saw3
Old 10-27-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really liked Saw, but detested Saw 2. If the reviews are generally positive on 3, I may be compelled to see it, although most likely after it comes to DVD. Honestly, my expectations were not too high after the all around forgettableness of 2, but who knows, maybe they did a better job this time.
Old 10-27-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Saw it at midnight with a packed crowd. I thought it was good, but probably my least favorite of the series. It seemed a little long and there were too many flashbacks to stuff we've seen already. The new traps are pretty nice and I liked the finale, but overall it could have used some more tension and a little trimming. B-
Old 10-27-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think you should definitely see 2 before you see part III, unless you already know the rundown of what all happened in 2.
Old 10-28-06, 12:35 AM
Li

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
I really liked Saw, but detested Saw 2.
Completely agree. I loved the first but was really disappointed by the second. I just watched Saw II for the first time since the theater and it was as bad as I remembered. Too many "give me a break" moments. I want to see the third but despite the positive reviews, I'm going in with low expectations.
Old 10-28-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Saw III LGF $14,000,000

Nice figure for Friday.
Old 10-28-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,603 Posts
I personally thought Saw II was much better than the 1st one.

Saw I didn't work for me because:

Spoiler:
All the deaths were told in a flashback format, which killed any suspense for the scene

Plus I loved the twist at the end of Saw II when Dina Meyer discovered:

Spoiler:
That the whole sequence with everyone in the house was on tape and Donnie Wahlberg's kid was in the same room they were in

Last edited by DJariya; 10-28-06 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-28-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Just got back from a screening and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't really like Saw 2, and I probably wouldn't have gone to see it, save for the encouragement of a friend. A solid story, intelligent acting and genuine character development were a real plus, and made this my favorite of the three. Loved the twist.
Old 10-28-06, 04:55 PM

DVD Talk review of 'Saw III'

I read Brian Orndorf's DVD review of Saw III at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24697 and... I think that you (Brian) is full of it. The SAW movies are original thrillers that test your limits and have walking out of the theater saying "oh shit". When I left Saw 1 I was overwhelmed, as with the sequel and now SAW III. The movie may have a few bad acting spots, and gore but over all SAW is a great movie. Brian, take the stick out of your ass.
Old 10-28-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't like a good part of this film UNTIL the reveal at the end...
Spoiler:
I hated Amanda being so emotional. I hated the inescapable death scenes - which seemed to just be death for the sake of death. However, when we realize that Jigsaw himself didn't agree with how Amanda was handling these situations it made more sense. I thought they had let the central idea slip away and were just going for death after death, but of course, when it was all said and done, they had it right and put the film back on track.

I'm sure I'd like it better the second time, but other than the Jeff scenes and the flashbacks to Saw I & Saw II stuff, I didn't like it as I was watching it. I thought the scenes with Jigsaw and the nurse weren't very interesting and the skull operation was excessive. Of course, again, with the finale, a lot of these scenes hold more weight than originally perceived to. I was really glad Amanda got shot, because as Donnie said it best "You're no fucking Jigsaw bitch!". They really laid some good groundwork for SAW IV with Jeff's daughter, the mysterious WAX COVERED TAPE etc...should be decent.

MATT
Old 10-28-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Foley08
The SAW movies are original thrillers that test your limits and have walking out of the theater saying "oh shit".
Well, Brian (and many others) do not share your opinion. Moreover, they are certainly not very original (not really a criticism there). You may wak out of a theater saying "oh shit"; many of us see it playing at the theater and say "oh. shit".
As for "testing your limits", what are you even trying to say there? It reads like bad publicity copy. If you mean the audience is tortured by the amateurish drivel of the Saw flicks, you're onto something there. I'm sure you're not though, since the series has its fans - most of whom can respect the opinions of those who see them differently. You're not in that camp, I see.

When I left Saw 1 I was overwhelmed, as with the sequel and now SAW III. The movie may have a few bad acting spots, and gore but over all SAW is a great movie.
You're entitled to your opinion, but seriously Foley, there's much better films that you could be watching. Why waste time with penny dreadfuls like the Saw films?

Brian, take the stick out of your ass.
You need to respect the informed opinions of others, and stop personally attacking people.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 10-28-06 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-28-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read Brian Orndorf's DVD review of Saw III at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24697 and... I think that you (Brian) is full of it. The SAW movies are original thrillers that test your limits and have walking out of the theater saying "oh shit". When I left Saw 1 I was overwhelmed, as with the sequel and now SAW III. The movie may have a few bad acting spots, and gore but over all SAW is a great movie. Brian, take the stick out of your ass.
So it's safe to say you registered on this site just to voice your discontent over this review?
Old 10-28-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I like Eric Snider's review far better, as I enjoy the Saw films quite a bit. Far more interesting and entertaining then any of the other recent horror movies that have been overhyped lately. I'm glad DVDTalk is at least featuring two reviews, as clearly Brian more then just disliked the first two films so i'm curious as why he would review the 3rd.
Old 10-28-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IMO, the series has improved with each film.

What I liked:
Spoiler:

1) That the film picks up directly where Saw II left off.
2) Donnie Whalberg returning, despite rumors he left the project before shooting.
3) All the scenes with Angus Macfadyen.
4) The g-o-r-e.
5) The death of one of the weaker characters in the franchise (Amanda).

What I disliked:
Spoiler:

1) The death of Dina Meyer's character. I was hoping she'd finally have a chance to develop her character, but not here. At least she got a pretty wicked death scene.
2) The subplot between the doctor, Jigsaw, and Amanda. This is all they could come up to set-up the groundwork to let death and destruction happen? Other than the gore scenes this subplot provided, when the film focuses on this material, the film nearly comes to a complete stand still. As I mentioned earlier, at least it led to the death of the Amanda character.
3) The ending ---
3a) I did not like the numerous twists that Jigsaw was against murder (or that's what it came off to me as) and that Amanda was behind most (if not all) the murders from all the previous films. I did not like the fact that this twist pretty much fucking repeated itself with ending Jeff's character arc. Now there's lazy screenwriting and then there's some lazy fucking screenwriting (which this is).
3b) The fact that the doctor was Jeff's wife.
3c) The fact that we did not get to see the doctor's head blown off. If there was ever a kill scene that should've been shown in this movie, this should've been the film's money shot.
3d) I thought everyone was saying this was going to be the last Saw flick with the help of the creators -- then why the set-up for the sequel?

Now the franchise hasn't been as solid as some other recent horror franchises, but at least each sequel has shown improvement. Saw was a great idea just executed to shit whereas Saw II was a crappy idea actually executed pretty well. Saw III has a great idea on how to finish off what should've been a trilogy, but lazy screenwriting hurts most of the potential the film has going for it. It's a fun ride, I don't disagree, but there's other sequels that roll around in it's mayhem (Final Destination 3) whereas this one tries to make things a little bit too serious when it shouldn't.
Old 10-28-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Am I nuts to be laughing at some of the grisly bits in this film? It was dark and comedic, but not quite a dark comedy. There's a lull in the start of the middle section of the film (mainly the start of Jeff's subplot), but after that, the film settles into a nice rhythm of gore and mayhem that most people want and expect from this film franchise.

I give it 2.75 stars or a grade of B-.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.