Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning'

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-09-06, 12:00 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read David Walker's DVD review of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24225 and...

True fans of the original will be disappointed, and those that enjoy this trash are just as likely to be entertained by any glittering object that catches their attention.
I had a 4-star helluva time with it. Meat's meat and a man's gotta eat, as R. Lee would say, and this Saw fan's been starvin since Chop Top took a tumble.

I wish they'd gone this route with Jessica Biel and pals in the remake.

Wait. What's that? So shiney!
Old 10-09-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This film would have been better had they not made it less predictable. Making it a prequel and not having new characters let you know exactly who was going to live and die.

I really wish I had seen the same movie everyone else did, because I donít think this one is as violent and intense as everyone is making it out to be. I mean the R Rated version of High Tension was more intense and had more gore going for it.

Iím surprised the people who didnít like the 2003 remake like this one. This film had the exact same structure as that one.
Old 10-09-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shouldn't this be in "Horror Talk"? That subforum isn't getting any traffic because no one's putting horror threads in there!
Old 10-09-06, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by G. Noel Gross
I read David Walker's DVD review of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24225 and...

I had a 4-star helluva time with it. Meat's meat and a man's gotta eat, as R. Lee would say, and this Saw fan's been starvin since Chop Top took a tumble.

I wish they'd gone this route with Jessica Biel and pals in the remake.

Wait. What's that? So shiney!
Very harsh review. I have a feeling the reviewer is in the camp that thinks all remakes are bad and should never be done. I don't think he went into this movie with an open mind and didn't give it a fair shot.
Old 10-09-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bareit
Very harsh review. I have a feeling the reviewer is in the camp that thinks all remakes are bad and should never be done. I don't think he went into this movie with an open mind and didn't give it a fair shot.
Or the fact that the reviewer thought it was a bad film. Plus this one wasn't a remake. The writers tried to come up with something original, the only thing was it followed the exact same structure as the remake.

I didn't like the remake because it was a typical teen slasher film that felt like MTV trying to do horror. I was ready to go into this one liking it because all the reviews stated how gory and intense it was. It ended up being a typical MTV teen slasher film with more blood.
Old 10-09-06, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the half star review is tad to critical of the film if you ask me... the movie is no where as bad as say a Uwe Boll movie - as I pointed out before, the film suffers from lack of a plot or overall point. The positives were (for me) decent cinmetography, top notch gore efx and tight editing. And the characterization were kept to a severe minimum so as not to care when and how each character was to get bumped off. The overall impression I came away from it though was - this seemed completely unnecessary - it didn't embellish or further story details, but was just made to rehash gore for gore's sake, kind of like the Jason Goes to New York film (which at that point in the series was made for fans to see more slayings and outrageous gore -which sadly was watered down considerably).
Old 10-09-06, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by cerial442
Or the fact that the reviewer thought it was a bad film. Plus this one wasn't a remake. The writers tried to come up with something original, the only thing was it followed the exact same structure as the remake.

I didn't like the remake because it was a typical teen slasher film that felt like MTV trying to do horror. I was ready to go into this one liking it because all the reviews stated how gory and intense it was. It ended up being a typical MTV teen slasher film with more blood.
He made no attempt to find anything good in the movie but instead, from beginning to end, berated it like it was Gigli or Glitter. There's no way this movie was as bad as he portrays it that it has zero redeeming qualities.

MTV must have gotten a little more hardcore from the days I watched it. Is it the Michael Bay name attached to it? I don't see how either could be seen as MTV horror. They're both hard R and they don't have the ADHD editing to them.

Last edited by Bareit; 10-09-06 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-09-06, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bareit
He made no attempt to find anything good in the movie but instead, from beginning to end, berated it like it was Gigli or Glitter. There's no way this movie was as bad as he portrays it that it has zero redeeming qualities.

MTV must have gotten a little more hardcore from the days I watched it. Is it the Michael Bay name attached to it? I don't see how either could be seen as MTV horror. They're both hard R and they don't have the ADHD editing to them.
There really wasn't much good going for it, except for R. Lee Emery.

Calling this MTV horror stems from the fact that this is a typical teen slasher film. Yeah it was an R Rated film, but look at the R cuts of High Tension and The Hills Have Eyes, way more brutal and intense. Granted THHE was predictable, but it went way farther than this film dared to go.

The big gore scene everyone keeps talking about was no where near as brutal as say the eye scene in Hostel or the trailer scene in THHE. The chainsaw kills were watered down compared to the "jaws of life" scene in High Tension.

They would have had a better movie if it wasnít about four teenage kids again, but maybe about the bikers. Add one or two members of the family and kill them off. Donít call Leatherface ďTommyĒ the whole damn movie. Get some more creative and graphic kills. Avoid the obvious plot holes.

Is the half a star rating low? Possibly, it isnít the worst horror film Iíve seen. It is better than TCM 3. I would have given it one star. I really wanted to like this one, and wanted to see something intense, but it was just more of the same.
Old 10-09-06, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Shouldn't this be in "Horror Talk"? That subforum isn't getting any traffic because no one's putting horror threads in there!
Replies to theatrical reviews are automatically directed to this forum. A mod would hafta move it.
Old 10-10-06, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was decent. I didn't hate it but I didn't like it enough to consider it worth revisiting. R. Lee Ermey was great, though. So was a lot of the cinematography. But calling this a remake of the remake is rather spot on.
Old 10-10-06, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will happily put this right next to my deluxe special editions of both the original and remake.
Old 10-10-06, 12:18 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally Posted by cerial442
There really wasn't much good going for it, except for R. Lee Emery.
That's the whole goldang point. This is Hoytt's movie. Forget *shudder* "Tommy."

Same as Saw 2 is Chop Top's movie.

I truly believe if the remake didn't exist, there'd be no debate.

But, then, I'm no a fan of the Hills remake (other than the backstory) and hated, hated, hated Hostel.

High Tension? Why that's nothing short of a modern classic.
Old 10-10-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's my dillema in a nutshell. This prequel would have been a heck of a lot more entertaining if it had been the remake in the first place. There are no suprises if you have already seen the remake.
Old 10-10-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What this needed was more of a "why" than a "show". They showed too many things without explanation. If you're gonna do a prequel, then make it worthwhile. No as brutal as people have been saying, except the cow vs. jeep.

Grade: C
Old 10-11-06, 12:59 AM

I gave the movie a 8.5/10 and have no idea how someone could give it worse. Great gore, eye candy, atmosphere, and character development (not too much) which is all i need for a good horror movie.
Old 10-11-06, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The big gore scene everyone keeps talking about was no where near as brutal as say the eye scene in Hostel
huh? That eyeball looked extremely fake. I liked Hostel, but that scene was about as brutal as Beauty & the Beast.
Old 10-11-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
huh? That eyeball looked extremely fake. I liked Hostel, but that scene was about as brutal as Beauty & the Beast.
Well to me the eye scene made me cringe (and not on how it looked but on what was going on) and was a holy shit moment.

The big gore scene in TCM:TB left a "that's it" feeling. NECA released a figure of that scene and it is more gory and brutal than what was shown on screen. I think the lighting was too dark in that scene.
Old 10-11-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by G. Noel Gross
I truly believe if the remake didn't exist, there'd be no debate.

But, then, I'm no a fan of the Hills remake (other than the backstory) and hated, hated, hated Hostel.

High Tension? Why that's nothing short of a modern classic.
If this film was the remake then people would be comparing the original dinner scene with the one in this film. I don't think this film would be as well liked as it is now if the remake didn't happen.

I agree on High Tension.
Old 10-11-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember in the dinner scene in this movie, Chrissy says something like "Do you fuck all your cousins, or just the ones you find attractive!?", and it's supposed to be a real "Fuck You!" moment...but it comes off as just a bad line, didn't really work for me. I guess I expected more from the dinner scene. I know the chick got
Spoiler:
her throat slit pretty brutally during it
, but I thought it would be a more hard to endure scene for Chrissy.
Old 11-19-06, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just watched this yesterday, at the movies.
My overall impression was positive - it delivered entertainment, it delivered scares. I don't have any major problems with this movie, it was ok - but there is one thing that bugged me and it's almost a cliche now. the main characters are just too stupid. Rather, all the good guys are just too stupid. I know, it's easy for me to sit here and rationally analyze this and that and when you actually ARE in a "chainsaw massacre" setting well you can replace sound, rational thought with pure terror.

But I disagree with that! - why? Well, consider this.
Spoiler:
Spoiler - the biker. He could smell something was up, something was SERIOUSLY fishy. He enters the house with a big ass six shooter, he could have done all of the bad guys. He could have observed some general rule of not standing so close to your adversay that he can knock the gun out of your hand, and not to walk int shadows to get his hand chopped off. That fool!

The J. Brewster character, about 110 lbs, unarmed, tired, weak, terrified - she is on the doorstep to FREEDOM, literally on the doorstep. She can run, escape, but she decides - with odds 1 to 20 - to take on the bad guys alone. Real smart.

How about the younger brother - he has the cop, he bashes his face in the ground 10 times. Uh, why doesn't he kill him? Why doesn't he smash his face 10 times more, why doesn't he get up and jump on his face, kick him in the neck and kill him? I know, I know, because he heard the chainsaw far off in the distance. Again, what was he gonna do? Well what he did do wasn't a success, was it... finish the job FFS.

- and the biker again, why didn't the biker go to his station of bikers and get back up? His odds would have been tripled. Well screw that, why didn't he just go Gun-bananza?

Maybe it's just my skewed train of thougt, but why didn't the boys - soldier and younger brother - KILL those two fat women/mothers/sisters when they sat there giving away their location? Get over there, stab them in the neck. This was life or death! And why didn't the soldier guy disarm the "cop" when he had him, and etc. etc.

I know what you may say, "then there wouldn't be any movie". But there would, you could easily make a movie where the victims - or atleast some of them - are handy, smart, know how to adapt without sacrificing quality but probably boosting it. You just plot the story line around that fact.
Old 11-20-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Some replies to your spoilers..........

Spoiler:
-
the biker. He could smell something was up, something was SERIOUSLY fishy. He enters the house with a big ass six shooter, he could have done all of the bad guys. He could have observed some general rule of not standing so close to your adversay that he can knock the gun out of your hand, and not to walk int shadows to get his hand chopped off. That fool!
Yep,he wasn't as badass as he pretended to be. Or the scriptwriter wasn't as clever as he thought.

The J. Brewster character, about 110 lbs, unarmed, tired, weak, terrified - she is on the doorstep to FREEDOM, literally on the doorstep. She can run, escape, but she decides - with odds 1 to 20 - to take on the bad guys alone. Real smart.
Well this is toughie,since what would you do in this situation? You're in the middle of nowhere,and by the time you do get help. All your friends will be dead,and you will have to live with the guilt of running away and not helping them,when you could have tried...even if you died in the process.

Also not knowing the area well,with how 'dead' the town is and so forth,could lead to some problems of not being able to locate the house again once you go miles outside the county into the nearest alive town in the middle of the pitch black night!

How about the younger brother - he has the cop, he bashes his face in the ground 10 times. Uh, why doesn't he kill him? Why doesn't he smash his face 10 times more, why doesn't he get up and jump on his face, kick him in the neck and kill him? I know, I know, because he heard the chainsaw far off in the distance. Again, what was he gonna do? Well what he did do wasn't a success, was it... finish the job FFS.
Unfortunately since Hoyt and the family are all alive in the remake which takes place AFTER this film. None of them can die,which is one of the biggest strikes against the film.

If the remake didn't exist and this were the 'first' film. Then yes I would want to see some major asskicking slaughter of the villians once the victims one up them in the finale fighting for their lives.

But unfortunately studios never do that today,and will always leave room open for a sequel(they're continuring the Saw films after how it appears there is nowhere else for it to go after what happens to everyone Jigsaw included at the finale of Saw 3). So this takes the 'fun' out of various films today as well when you're aware of how the studios are operating.

For once I would love to see the killer in this case get mutilated to pieces at the finale and NOT come back for a sequel since there won't be a sequel!

and the biker again, why didn't the biker go to his station of bikers and get back up? His odds would have been tripled. Well screw that, why didn't he just go Gun-bananza?
This is one of the biggest flaws of the film in my opinion,since it had so much potential. But again,the prequel trappings heavily restrict such new for the series plot devices which could lead to some major retribution on the family in the finale.

But if he were a smart biker,he would have gone back to get his troops before heading to the house with the girl. And then all hell could have sprung loose as they tried to save the others and kick some serious ass.

Unfortunately again the prequel thing restricts the potential of such plot devices. Of course the family could slaughter the hell out of the bikers in one huge free for all slaughter athon if the family must live for the remake. But it would be even more unbelievable in this case if they went for that action-cartoonish route. Since the chances of a huge gang of bikers overtaking a small but evil family is higher than the family overtaking the armed adrenaline filled strong bikers.

Maybe it's just my skewed train of thougt, but why didn't the boys - soldier and younger brother - KILL those two fat women/mothers/sisters when they sat there giving away their location? Get over there, stab them in the neck. This was life or death! And why didn't the soldier guy disarm the "cop" when he had him, and etc. etc.
Since they never met the two fat women until they saw them in the kitchen. I doubt they would want to waste time slaughtering them,since while nutcases,they weren't 'harming' anyone obviously. And it would be simpler to free their friend and run on out,since there is no way the fat woman would have the energy to run after them.

Also since the fat women were not attempting to kill them(in an obvious way),would you feel ok killing someone in cold blood? Again some moral dillemas come into play in such a situation. And if the fat women were about to slice the neck of their friend or cause some sort of harm,I'm sure they would have had no problems killing their fat asses.

But again it's a intense hectic move fast situation,and killing them would have slowed them down. Meanwhile Hoyt and Tommy are agressive strong wackos that are incredibly dangerous and pose a bigger threat than the fat women.
Old 11-20-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would say 99% of the time I agree with Mr. Gross, but this time i have to say i agree with the reviewer in question. Other than the 20 minutes of backstory this pretty much was a remake of the remake. I love TCM 1-3, i really liked the remake, but this one just seemed like the same film. I actually walked out of it around 20 minutes early. Now i will probably rent it when it comes out and if the last 20 minutes just turned the film around and made it one of the best horror films ever then i will come on here and apologize and get the saw tattooed on my forehead .