Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Near Dark remake in the works

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Near Dark remake in the works

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-06, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan
Well, that's obviously the perspective of someone who is making money off the film, but why would I feel that way? As a moviegoer, I don't want to see a shitty, embarrassing remake of something like Psycho. If people want to do some remakes, it would be nice if they could be just a little more creative about it. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about this. Enjoy Psycho, Manchurian Candidate, Citizen Kane, or whatever bullshit remakes come along, but that's not what I want to see.
As a moviegoer, you have the choice to not see any remake you may feel is inferior. There are plenty of people who may not care for a partiular original but may enjoy a remake.

What's the harm if people never bother to see the original? If their opinion is tainted by seeing a remake? If a foreign film doesn't get released here because some asshole would rather make a bastardized remake for the US market? There is a whole generation of people who think of "Ice Ice Baby" when "Under Pressure" comes on the radio.
Someone not seeing or not liking an original neither picks your pocket nor breaks your leg. A good movie is a good movie regardless of how many people like or have seen that movie. Your opinion is the only one that counts. Not releasing an original to a market is an entirely different thing.
Old 10-07-06, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bareit
Your opinion is the only one that counts.
I agree.
Old 10-07-06, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by MechanicalMan
If hating on Michael Bay is wrong, I don't want to be right.
lmao
Old 10-07-06, 10:25 AM

I'm not overly against movies being remade when they're older films (even though there's no reason then at times), but why touch films from the 80's??
Old 10-07-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
No way the music on the remake going to top off Tangerine Dream. I still get a chill from listening the opening theme.
Old 10-07-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not defending remakes at all. I hate them.
God, The Maltese Falcon is just awful, am I right? Damn remakes.

Eric, remakes, sequels and adaptations have existed since film began. You're complaining that they exist now? Not to mention your point of focus is Near Dark, which is only an alright film anyway. Make all the Dracula films you want, but oh, no, don't touch the Lance Henriksen vampire film... I like the original, obviously other people do too.

Edit: Also you pointing out that another company does remakes is kind of silly and pointless. Like I don't know that?
Well, your tone does seem to be ignorant, so pardon other people for helping you out. Are you angry with everyone who posts in your threads, or just people with different opinions?

Originally Posted by Bareit
Why is remaking Near Dark a bad thing? You can still continue to love the original and completely disregard the remake.
Bareit speaks truth. Eric, face facts and deal with it - Bill paxton will always says "I hate it when they ain't been shaved", and no-one's going to touch it. The original Near Dark won't be removed, forgotten or replaced, so you're getting angry over nothing. If someone wants to do something new with the story, let them. You don't have to watch it.

Now, off I go to watch my new The Texas Chain Saw Massacre DVD... the original, that is; I don't like the remake... but why let that affect my enjoyment? I'm mature about these things.
Old 10-07-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
God, The Maltese Falcon is just awful, am I right? Damn remakes.

Eric, remakes, sequels and adaptations have existed since film began. You're complaining that they exist now? Not to mention your point of focus is Near Dark, which is only an alright film anyway. Make all the Dracula films you want, but oh, no, don't touch the Lance Henriksen vampire film... I like the original, obviously other people do too.
I don't have a problem with adaptations and sequels. And I know how long remakes have been around for. If there was only a handfull a year, I would not have a problem at all. The Thing is one of my favorite films. It's just that today it seems that this is all that is being made. Am I wrong for wanting Hollywood filmmakers to try and do something original? And I'm entitled to be upset at Near Dark. I know a lot of people don't like that film or don't care if it is remade. But I do. On that issue it is nonthing more than a fanboy thing and I'm bitching like most fanboys do when one of thier favorite films gets remade. It's not like I'm the first person to do this. However this thread has kinda of morphed into something different and is more focused on remakes in general. I addressed that in detail in this post.

What you have to understand is that the reason why I'm opposed to remakes so much is that they leave little room for original stuff to come out. Hardley anybody sells a spec script these days anymore. All studios want to do is play it safe and remake something that they know will find an audience since the original was successful in the past. Remakes are also bad in that no truly original ideas can come out of them. The screenwriter is restricted in a sense that they can't depart too much from the original idea because the studios don't want to take that risk. Also, I find it very embarrassing that filmmakers in other countries are constantly coming up with original ideas and all we can do is just remake them. People always complain that there are no good writers left in Hollywood. That is not true, there are plenty of good writers but they are just not allowed to write original stuff. Because remakes tend to make so much money, I can't really blame the studios for not wanting to take a risk on something different and have it blow up in their face. It is a business after all. But if Hollywood keeps this up long enough, it's going to burn itself out. They are really stretching now as it is with some of the films they are choosing to remake. But I do want to point out that not all remakes are awful films, some of them are pretty damn good. It's just the effect that they have on the industry as a whole that I find so distasteful. If Bay started that compnay to give up and coming directors a shot, and if the films are cheap to make, they why not take a fucking risk on something original once in a while. Sure it may end up being garbage like See No Evil, or it could be something amazing like The Descent. So that is why I don't like PD. They are only about the money despite saying they are for the filmmakers. If they start taking risks and making original stuff, I will love them. Twisted Pictures on the other hand rules. They take risks on original stuff and look what happened...they got a fucking franchise out of it.

Well, your tone does seem to be ignorant, so pardon other people for helping you out. Are you angry with everyone who posts in your threads, or just people with different opinions?
Sorry you feel that way. And for the record, I've only bumped heads with one person in this thread, not other "people". I have no problem with differing views, but I am allowed to voice mine. If you don't agree with me, as you obviously don't, that's cool. The reason why that poster and I got into it is that we both didn't really get where the other was coming from and kept on missing the points. Now that it has for the most part been resolved, I have no hard feeling toward him at all and won't challenge anymore of his posts.

I'm mature about these things.
Well I'm glad that the way the industry is turning out doesn't bother you. I wish that I could feel that way. And I know that films stand on their own. But true fans of the original will always get upset when a remake is announced, always. That's just fact. Don't you think that many people would be up in arms if Jaws, Back to the Future, or even Citizen Kane were remade? I know Near Dark is far, far from the level that those films are at, but it's just the point. I could care less that Transformers is being remade and screwed with since I'm not a fan of the series. But I know where all the upsets fans are coming from and their complaints are valid. They are entitled to them. And if you still don't understand or agree with where I'm coming from, that's okay I don't really expect you too. Just know that I'm not this irate person blinded as to how the way the world really works and slams all who oppose me. I know that my bitching about remakes is not going to change anything, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.
Old 10-07-06, 04:36 PM
Banned

Remember when LeAnn Rimes' cover of "How Do I Live" came out at the same time as Trisha Yearwood's original?

How soon before Hollywood goes the same route? "See Clive Owen in John Grisham's The Partner, directed by Peter Weir. Then go see Ashton Kutcher in John Grisham's The Partner, directed by Brett Ratner!"
Old 10-07-06, 06:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I like Near Dark
Old 10-07-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe this should be in the Horror Talk subforum.
Old 10-09-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Legolas
Remember when LeAnn Rimes' cover of "How Do I Live" came out at the same time as Trisha Yearwood's original?

How soon before Hollywood goes the same route? "See Clive Owen in John Grisham's The Partner, directed by Peter Weir. Then go see Ashton Kutcher in John Grisham's The Partner, directed by Brett Ratner!"
Ahem. Two Steve Prefontaine films, and two Truman Capote films...

As it is, I find those kind of situations very interesting. You see how different filmmakers will use different things from the source material, and so on.
Old 10-03-07, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Helmer Bayer creeps up on 'Dark' redo
By Borys Kit
Oct 3, 2007

Sam Bayer is in negotiations to direct "Near Dark," the remake of the cult vampire movie Platinum Dunes is producing for Rogue Pictures.

Like the 1987 original by Kathryn Bigelow, the remake centers on a young man who reluctantly joins a traveling "family" of evil vampires after the girl he tried to seduce bites him and turns him into one.

Christopher Landon ("Disturbia") is rewriting the script.

Platinum Dunes' Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller are producing.

Bayer, one of the big names in music videos and commercials -- he directed Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" clip -- recently won a MTV Video Music Award for helming Justin Timberlake's "What Goes Around Comes Around" video that starred Scarlett Johansson.

He is repped by Endeavor and Anonymous Content.
Old 10-03-07, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
A couple weeks late on that update:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=512254

Although, yours seems to have a little more info. Plus, this thread did technically exist first, it seems.

Old 10-30-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They also have The Hitchher and The Birds in the pipeline.
Sacrilege!