DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   M*A*S*H* is not a good movie. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/479754-m%2A%2As%2Ah%2A-not-good-movie.html)

NoirFan 10-04-06 09:36 PM

M*A*S*H* is not a good movie.

I'm sorry. I love Robert Altman, but am I the only one who thinks this movie is overrated? The frathouse humor stands in jarring contrast to the usual contemplative style that Altman is known for. I found it painfully unfunny, dated, and, though it has some admittedly superb sequences, M*A*S*H* just doesen't work as a cohesive whole. Am I alone in feeling this way?

Cameron 10-04-06 09:51 PM

yes you are alone

Filmmaker 10-04-06 10:03 PM

No, you're not. And I hate the TV show, too.

NoirFan 10-04-06 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
yes you are alone

New sig.

Charlie Goose 10-05-06 08:57 AM

The TV show is probably my favorite show of all time, but I too am not a big fan of the movie.

Michael Corvin 10-05-06 09:12 AM

Movie is decent, show is great.

GoldenJCJ 10-05-06 12:50 PM

I've never been a big fan of Robert Altman. As much as I like M*A*S*H I actually think it could have been better with another director. Of course I'm probably in the minority on that.

And the football sequence near the end has always seemed awkward to me -- especially houlihan's character...she goes from a serious nurse in the first 3/4 of the movie to a dopey idiot during the football sequence.

Hiro11 10-05-06 01:09 PM

One of my favorite movies of all time.

Giles 10-05-06 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I'm sorry. I love Robert Altman, but am I the only one who thinks this movie is overrated? The frathouse humor stands in jarring contrast to the usual contemplative style that Altman is known for. I found it painfully unfunny, dated, and, though it has some admittedly superb sequences, M*A*S*H* just doesen't work as a cohesive whole. Am I alone in feeling this way?

I gather you haven't seen Altman's Popeye?

sundog 10-05-06 01:19 PM

M*A*S*H is one of those movies I stop to watch no matter what moment I happen upon. It's the actors and their chemistry for me. Everyone is a joy to watch; that leads back to Altman and his penchant for letting the cast improvise.

tdilia 10-05-06 01:44 PM

I love the movie, and I am not a big Altman fan. Was never crazy about the show. What I love about the movie, like sundog said, are the actors and thier chemistry.

Iron_Giant 10-05-06 01:45 PM

Love the TV shows 100x more than the movie.

Not a big fan of the movie at all.

Ayre 10-05-06 02:03 PM

Love the movie. The dryness of Altmans films are what allow for those moments of "frat" humor to seem real. Any other director and would it have been National Lampoon Goes To War.

Hated the TV show. Just watered down for mass consumption.

jeffkjoe 10-05-06 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Love the TV shows 100x more than the movie.

Not a big fan of the movie at all.

I agree with you, I love the TV show, but I don't like the movie.

I think for me, it's because I saw the TV show before I saw the movie and I kept comparing the TV show actors vs. their movie counterparts.

Geofferson 10-05-06 02:39 PM

I'll chime in and say that I do think it's overrated.

Nick Danger 10-05-06 09:11 PM

The movie had some very funny moments, but it didn't sustain them. The TV show was just painful to watch. Most infomercials have more laughs.

The Cow 10-05-06 09:30 PM

Liked the movie, and loved the TV Show.

Next...

zombiezilla 10-05-06 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
I agree with you, I love the TV show, but I don't like the movie.

I think for me, it's because I saw the TV show before I saw the movie and I kept comparing the TV show actors vs. their movie counterparts.

Me too.

antennaball 10-05-06 10:34 PM

I'm in the dislike both the movie and the show camp.

marty888 10-05-06 11:06 PM

Thanks to the OP for letting me know that this is not a good movie. Unfortunately, I've enjoyed it each and every time I've seen it over the years, but I will try not to make that mistake again.

MartinBlank 10-05-06 11:07 PM

The movies over rated. The series was good for about the first 7 or 8 seasons, before Alda took over and the show got "serious".

Giantrobo 10-05-06 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
The TV show is probably my favorite show of all time, but I too am not a big fan of the movie.

I agree.

Shiv Shankly 10-06-06 09:25 AM

The movie is okay. If you haven't read the original novel by Richard Hooker, it's good. If the filmmakers had had some balls, they'd have included the funniest sequence from the novel: in order to raise money to send Ho John to America for college, they get Trapper John to grow out Jesus hair and beard. They then build a cross, strap him to it, and travel from camp to camp, selling autographed photos of "Jesus" on the cross, capped by helicoptering him over the camp, drunk and strapped to the cross hanging from the 'copter.

nemein 10-06-06 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
The movies over rated. The series was good for about the first 7 or 8 seasons, before Alda took over and the show got "serious".

:up: that's about how I feel... The movie was ok but nothing really new/outstanding. The show started off good but it just got bogged down for a comedy.

GrimmSD 10-06-06 01:58 PM

I don't like the movie as well as I like the series, but it's still a very good movie.