DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Enjoying Horror Vicariously Through Others? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/479500-enjoying-horror-vicariously-through-others.html)

KillerQ 10-02-06 07:42 PM

Enjoying Horror Vicariously Through Others?

Hey all,

After being a horror fan for my entire like, doing SPFX makeup for 10 years, and working in an E.R, by ability to become scared, or even jump is completely gone. I have become 99.99% desensitized to horrific imagery and things of the sort....

Although it hasn't changed my passion for horror films, I find that I get just as much satisfaction, if not more, from watching my Wife, family and friends get scared, grossed out, etc from my movies than I would just watching it on my own.... It's a whole new experience.

Anyone else feel this way?

Later,

Matt!

CKMorpheus 10-02-06 11:00 PM

One of my favorite TV spots was for the first Final Destination... they showed footage of people sitting in theaters watching FD, and people jumping out of their skin when the bus sequence happened. I love seeing people get frightened ^_^

RyoHazuki 10-03-06 12:31 AM

I often times stab family members to get the thrills that horror films once gave me.

mndtrp 10-03-06 01:11 AM

Yes. It's fun watching my girlfriend try to peek around a corner faster than the camera does.

Gunde 10-03-06 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by KillerQ
Hey all,

After being a horror fan for my entire like, doing SPFX makeup for 10 years, and working in an E.R, by ability to become scared, or even jump is completely gone. I have become 99.99% desensitized to horrific imagery and things of the sort....

I feel the same way about blood and gore, but a good atmospheric horror movie can still creep me out.

Hospitaller 10-03-06 11:13 AM

Hoss,

I always enjoy watching you fall asleep during the movie, then try to enter the post-movie conversation by talking in great detail about the few parts you did see despite how irrelevant they may be to the point currently being discussed.

that being said I do find some humor in taking easily scared females to horror movies. More often than not its their idea anyways.

The Infidel 10-03-06 12:05 PM

Enjoying Horror Vicariously Through Others?

Being a member of this site, I enjoy horror vicariously through Otters. It's sort of the same, except WhoGirl is hotter than Elvira. I'm not sure what that means, but there ya go.

Kudama 10-03-06 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Yes. It's fun watching my girlfriend try to peek around a corner faster than the camera does.

:lol: I do that all the time (w/ video games, too).

dpz301 10-04-06 07:48 PM

i don't enjoy horror films at all. guess i don't like being scared, but i can see why people would enjoy watching me and others jump out of their seats.

PopcornTreeCt 10-04-06 09:32 PM

I don't enjoy horror films either. I just don't get why people want to be scared.

Gunde 10-05-06 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't enjoy horror films either. I just don't get why people want to be scared.

It makes you feel alive!!
No serioulsy, for me it's getting creeped out I like (don't ask my why exactly) I've never been scared by a movie.

Wazootyman 10-05-06 02:06 PM

I was watching the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake with a group of people. One, Melissa, did not want to watch it, was freaked out the whole time, and at the end of the night did not want to come home, because she was certain some maniac would kill her, all because we'd watched that movie.

I explained to her that if we had watched a comedy, the same maniac would have still killed her, she just wouldn't have been expecting it as much.

For some reason that didn't allay her fears