DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   LAST FRIDAY [Friday series]: No Smokey! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/479397-last-friday-%5Bfriday-series%5D-no-smokey.html)

gerrythedon 10-02-06 01:09 AM

LAST FRIDAY [Friday series]: No Smokey!

Chris Tucker on Last Friday

Though he was asked, comedian Chris Tucker says he won’t be returning for the fourth “Friday” movie – the third sequel to a film he and Ice Cube did many moons ago - the tentatively titled “Last Friday”.

"Nah," Tucker tells Chron.com, "that's not true. We talked about trying to do it, but I don't think that's going to happen."

Ice Cube, the star of the “Friday” series, has mentioned in recent interviews that although he’d love to get Chris Tucker – who didn’t return for any of the sequels – back for this one, he knew it was probably out of the question.

MOVIEHOLE.net

RyoHazuki 10-02-06 03:44 AM

I bet their projected budget was less than what Tucker asked for.

gmal2003 10-02-06 09:56 AM

That would have been cool to see him come back after all the ridiculous sequels without him. They might as well let the series die.

DVD Josh 10-02-06 11:09 AM

I only really enjoyed the first one. the sequels were just moronic money-making vehicles. And you know this, man.

whynotsmile 10-02-06 12:51 PM

I still never got around to the first one, and the third one was pretty bad, but I have admit that NExt Friday is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. Mike Epps just kills in that one. I remember a few summers ago when Starz played that fucking movie non stop. Must have watched it 8 times.

Michael Corvin 10-02-06 01:06 PM

Rumor is Jackie Chan couldn't be in it so Tucker bowed out.

Joe Molotov 10-02-06 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Rumor is Jackie Chan couldn't be in it so Tucker bowed out.

Rush Hour Was Really Bad Last Friday: The Motion Picture

dx23 10-02-06 02:45 PM

I still don't know how the hell Chris Tucker commands that much money.

Michael Corvin 10-02-06 03:08 PM

I don't either. Since 1998 He has been in Rush Hour and Rush Hour 2. Two movies in eight years. I'm surprised he hasn't fallen off the map as it is.

mndtrp 10-03-06 01:17 AM

First one: Great
Second one: Decent
Third one: Terrible
Fourth one: I see a trend here...

I imagine most would agree with me. No more, Cube, no more.

Nesbit 10-03-06 07:46 AM

I actually liked the third one better than the second. Maybe I'll check out Next Friday again.

gerrythedon 04-12-07 10:07 PM

Will Chris Tucker Return For FRIDAY 4?!

Hey, everyone. ”Moriarty” here.

He will if New Line writes the check, and it seems that Ice Cube is determined to have that happen. He gets that the one thing that will make another sequel worth seeing would be the return of Smokey.

I got a tip-off about this from a reader who directed me to an audio interview. The material about a potential FRIDAY sequel comes about 2/3 of the way into the piece if you want to hear it for yourself:

Hi,

Ice Cube sat down to talk to Angie Martinez and said that Chris Tucker (Smokey) will be back in part 4!

Listen to the interview here!
http://www.zshare.net/audio/04-05-07...p-com-mp3.html

AINTITCOOL.com

tylergfoster 04-12-07 10:48 PM

Seeing as Rush Hour has finally finished, perhaps Tucker wll be more willing to do it, because he seemed to have been taking a self-imposed break.

But that's the only reason to make it. I too liked Friday After Next way more than Next Friday, which I thought was terrible, but without Tucker I don't see a need to progress the franchise. He should come back though.

hapgilmore 04-13-07 06:09 PM

YES!, this is the best movie-related news I've heard all year...message to New Line: GIVE TUCKER AS MUCH AS HE WANTS! YOUR INVESTMENT WILL PAY OFF BIG TIME, WITHOUT A DOUBT!
Seriously, another FRIDAY movie with Smokey returning...I say it will make 50 mil (at least) opening weekend...doubt me if you want, but time will tell...

TheMovieman 04-13-07 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
YES!, this is the best movie-related news I've heard all year...message to New Line: GIVE TUCKER AS MUCH AS HE WANTS! YOUR INVESTMENT WILL PAY OFF BIG TIME, WITHOUT A DOUBT!
Seriously, another FRIDAY movie with Smokey returning...I say it will make 50 mil (at least) opening weekend...doubt me if you want, but time will tell...

Well, since you did say "seriously" I can't think you're being sarcastic... So I'll call you insane for thinking Friday 4 would make that much on opening weekend...

hapgilmore 04-13-07 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Well, since you did say "seriously" I can't think you're being sarcastic... So I'll call you insane for thinking Friday 4 would make that much on opening weekend...

Apparently you don't realize that Smokey is one of the most iconic movie characters from the 90's, if not ever. It is the role that Chris Tucker is most known for. Everybody and their brother LOVES Smokey, as well as the original FRIDAY. I listened to the radio interview with Ice Cube, and he says the only thing holding this back is New Line's reluctance to give Tucker however much he wants. To me, this is the same as if Jim Carrey wanted to do another Ace Ventura, and Warner Bros. not sure it will be worth the investment. COME ON!

GoldenJCJ 04-13-07 07:17 PM

Apparently you don't realize that Smokey is one of the most iconic movie characters from the 90's, if not ever. It is the role that Chris Tucker is most known for. Everybody and their brother LOVES Smokey, as well as the original FRIDAY.

I'm not sure if I should laugh or shed a tear over this statement. Perhaps the most ludicrous statement I've read in my 6+ years here.

dsa_shea 04-13-07 09:12 PM

Some people put too much faith and importance in doped out characters. It is a sad commentary on today's society.

hapgilmore 04-14-07 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'm not sure if I should laugh or shed a tear over this statement. Perhaps the most ludicrous statement I've read in my 6+ years here.

How old are you? I am 22 years old, and every person I know loves the original FRIDAY, especially Chris Tucker's character. Apparently you do not realize how much of a classic FRIDAY is to my generation. It is one of my favorite movies and I know many people who feel the same way. You are a hater like I spoke about in my earlier post...when LAST FRIDAY opens to a 50 mil + gross, I expect to hear your apology. Please tell me why this is the "most ludicrous statement" you've read in the last 6+ years?

fumanstan 04-14-07 12:31 AM

How old are you? I am 22 years old, and every person I know loves the original FRIDAY, especially Chris Tucker's character. Apparently you do not realize how much of a classic FRIDAY is to my generation. It is one of my favorite movies and I know many people who feel the same way. You are a hater like I spoke about in my earlier post...when LAST FRIDAY opens to a 50 mil + gross, I expect to hear your apology. Please tell me why this is the "most ludicrous statement" you've read in the last 6+ years?

I'm 24 and i'd say you're wrong. He's not nearly as popular as you make him to be.

hapgilmore 04-14-07 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm 24 and i'd say you're wrong. He's not nearly as popular as you make him to be.

Chris Tucker himself is not that popular, no. But Chris Tucker as Smokey = CLASSIC. Actually, the only reason Chris Tucker is not that popular today is because the only movies he appears in are sequels to Rush Hour. Honestly, do you not realize that another Friday movie with Smokey back will be awesome to many, many, many, people? Now, if you're referring to the character of Smokey not being that "popular as I make him out to be", you are indeed wrong sir. Everyone on this board needs to realize, Smokey is a classic character, like it or not. Having Smokey come back for another Friday movie is going to bring in HUGE, HUGE dollars, I honestly don't see why nobody besides me is able to realize this...

GuessWho 04-14-07 06:29 AM

I'd say Smokey may be popular among 20-30 year old males.

anybody younger than 20 = "Smokey who?"
anybody older than 30 = "Smokey who?"
most females 20-30 = "Smokey who?"

You and your friends may love him, but the segment of the population you represent is VERY small. Keep using a tiny segment for overall generalizations though. Have fun with it.

It sucks being wrong, though.

FantasticVSDoom 04-14-07 06:54 AM

Ok, your 22, so that means you were 10 when the first Friday came out... I have no doubt that you and your firends may love him and the movie, but I seriously doubt you were watching this movie when it first came out, as it did not come out during "your generation".

I loved the original Friday as I was 19-20 when it came out, but now its a bit too late for the original fans of this movie. The sequels blew and Chris Tucker is about as improtant to a movie that Chris Rock is these days.

hapgilmore 04-14-07 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I'd say Smokey may be popular among 20-30 year old males.

anybody younger than 20 = "Smokey who?"
anybody older than 30 = "Smokey who?"
most females 20-30 = "Smokey who?"

You and your friends may love him, but the segment of the population you represent is VERY small. Keep using a tiny segment for overall generalizations though. Have fun with it.

It sucks being wrong, though.

"anybody younger than 20 = Smokey who?" Are you serious? Do you really think today's high school age kids don't love Friday? I first saw Friday when I was 12 years old, so I'm gonna go ahead and say ages 12-20 = Smokey is a LEGEND. Nobody older than 30 knows who Smokey is either huh? Even though they were the ones that saw Friday in the theater back in 95? Wow you're really smart, did you go to Harvard? When I saw Next Friday in the theater, I remember it was packed with young AND old people...of BOTH sexes
Doesn't it suck being wrong?

Obey The D 04-14-07 12:17 PM

"anybody younger than 20 = Smokey who?" Are you serious? Do you really think today's high school age kids don't love Friday? I first saw Friday when I was 12 years old, so I'm gonna go ahead and say ages 12-20 = Smokey is a LEGEND. Nobody older than 30 knows who Smokey is either huh? Even though they were the ones that saw Friday in the theater back in 95? Wow you're really smart, did you go to Harvard? When I saw Next Friday in the theater, I remember it was packed with young AND old people...of BOTH sexes
Doesn't it suck being wrong?

A LEGEND....rotfl