Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

LAST FRIDAY [Friday series]: No Smokey!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

LAST FRIDAY [Friday series]: No Smokey!

Old 04-14-07, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hapgilmore - maybe you've been exposed to a lot of Friday lovers, but I'm 19 and never seen the movie. I've heard about it but also never heard anybody I've met mention it. I don't think it's in the public conscious as much as you think, maybe just within your circle of friends.
Old 04-14-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,188 Likes on 2,056 Posts
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
How old are you? I am 22 years old, and every person I know loves the original FRIDAY, especially Chris Tucker's character. Apparently you do not realize how much of a classic FRIDAY is to my generation. It is one of my favorite movies and I know many people who feel the same way. You are a hater like I spoke about in my earlier post...when LAST FRIDAY opens to a 50 mil + gross, I expect to hear your apology. Please tell me why this is the "most ludicrous statement" you've read in the last 6+ years?
I'm 27. I was about 15 or 16 when Friday came out which I'd guess put me right in the middle of the target demographic audience for the movie. I saw it when it first came out. I remember Chris Tucker was in it. Aside from that nothing about the movie stands out. I didn't even realize Smokey was his name until this thread popped up. Chris Tucker was, is, and always will be a second rate actor. Nothing against the guy but if he's not a star by now he never will be. In my opinion, if there's any movie that Tucker is famous for it's Rush Hour. His characters in everything else he's ever been in are pretty forgettable.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 04-14-07 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-14-07, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Friday is a popular, but small movie. The sequels weren't that big either. You may like Smokey, and he may be funny in the movie, but he's really not as well-known as you think. I would say, even barring the fact that the movie just happens to have been made more recently, Harold & Kumar rank higher in awareness among stoner characters than Smokey, not to mention Jay and Silent Bob and the perennial classics Cheech and Chong.
Old 04-14-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Obey The D
A LEGEND....
....in his spare time.
Old 04-14-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This thread took a hilarious turn. I'm 26 and think he's a decently humorous character, but nowhere near a "legend". That's ludicrous.

I kinda picture hapgilmore as a stoner, hanging around with a bunch of stoner friends and, in their own little universe, Smokey is King.
Old 04-15-07, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Smokey is not a legend, but was missing from the sequels. Even if Smokey comes back, I don't see this movie being all that great.

The guys from Half Baked were better stoners than Smokey, any day.
Old 04-15-07, 02:25 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Ok, your 22, so that means you were 10 when the first Friday came out... I have no doubt that you and your firends may love him and the movie, but I seriously doubt you were watching this movie when it first came out, as it did not come out during "your generation".
Just because someone was young when the movie came out doesn't mean they couldn't see it when it first came out. I was 8 when Friday came out, and I saw it for the first time on PPV the year it was released.

Smokey is not an Iconic legendary movie character, but he is a pretty popular character, and the original Friday is considered a classic movie to a lot of people I know, my self included

I'm sure people from suburban areas may look at cheech and chong, jay and silent bob, harold and kumar ect. ect as better stoner characters with better movies, but for me, and all my friends, Friday is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, and is in my top five favorite movies. And Smokey is a great character. And I'm not a Chris Tucker fan at all, I only really liked him as Smokey.

Last edited by James Hardy; 04-15-07 at 02:38 AM.
Old 04-15-07, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by James Hardy
I'm sure people from suburban areas may look at cheech and chong, jay and silent bob, harold and kumar ect. ect as better stoner characters with better movies, but for me, and all my friends, Friday is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, and is in my top five favorite movies. And Smokey is a great character. And I'm not a Chris Tucker fan at all, I only really liked him as Smokey.
Friday is a suburban movie.
Old 04-15-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'm 27. I was about 15 or 16 when Friday came out which I'd guess put me right in the middle of the target demographic audience for the movie. I saw it when it first came out. I remember Chris Tucker was in it. Aside from that nothing about the movie stands out. I didn't even realize Smokey was his name until this thread popped up. Chris Tucker was, is, and always will be a second rate actor. Nothing against the guy but if he's not a star by now he never will be. In my opinion, if there's any movie that Tucker is famous for it's Rush Hour. His characters in everything else he's ever been in are pretty forgettable.
Do you realize that every movie Tucker was the star of (Money Talks, Rush Hour 1 and 2) were HUGE successes? How can you say he's not a star? Sure, he doesn't appear in many movies, but that doesn't make him any less of a star. It is his choice not to appear in many films, but the ones he does appear make a TON of money.
Old 04-15-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, your 22, so that means you were 10 when the first Friday came out... I have no doubt that you and your firends may love him and the movie, but I seriously doubt you were watching this movie when it first came out, as it did not come out during "your generation".

I loved the original Friday as I was 19-20 when it came out, but now its a bit too late for the original fans of this movie. The sequels blew and Chris Tucker is about as improtant to a movie that Chris Rock is these days.
This gets my vote for most ridiculous statement of the year. Most of Chris Rock's movies were profitable, but nothing smashing the box office. Money Talks and both of the Rush Hours made a ton of money because people like Chris Tucker, bottom line. People like Jackie Chan too, but none of his movies released in America did any of the box office CLOSE to what both the Rush Hours made. They were successful because of Tucker and this is why he gets 20-25 million a movie now. Does Chris Rock make that much? No, he does not.
Old 04-15-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Do you realize that every movie Tucker was the star of (Money Talks, Rush Hour 1 and 2) were HUGE successes? ...but the ones he does appear make a TON of money.
Only the Rush Hour movies broke $100m in the US and only one other broke even $50m in the US (The Fifth Element), which is clearly not a Chris Tucker movie but a Bruce Willis movie. "HUGE" successes his movies are not.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/...hristucker.htm
Old 04-15-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Keep it civil in here people. I want to be able to laugh at this thread for weeks to come.
Old 04-15-07, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Count me in the camp that thinks Friday After was much better then Next Friday.

Yes I love Smokey (31) He was the best part of the first movie.
Old 04-15-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They were successful because of Tucker and this is why he gets 20-25 million a movie now..
Pretty much explains why he hasnt done a movie since 2001...
Old 04-16-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
So, I'm confused. Did this movie open this past Friday? or does it open next Friday, or the Friday after next? or did it open last Friday?
Old 04-16-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hell, I really enjoyed Friday but when people start talking about Smokey, all I'm thinking about is...

[note: for anyone confused... I do not mean the goofball on the right]
Old 04-16-07, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
All this coming from hapgilmore....
Old 04-16-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty much explains why he hasnt done a movie since 2001...
It is Tucker's own choice not to be in many movies. Do you really think he doesn't get offers? All the Tucker naysayers on here need to realize he still is a very bankable star.
Old 04-16-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by jdpatri
Hell, I really enjoyed Friday but when people start talking about Smokey, all I'm thinking about is...

[note: for anyone confused... I do not mean the goofball on the right]
OVER THE LINE!
Old 04-16-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is Tucker's own choice not to be in many movies. Do you really think he doesn't get offers? All the Tucker naysayers on here need to realize he still is a very bankable star.
He's not in many movies because he knows he can make 30 million every time New Line farts out a "Rush Hour" sequel. He's not stupid enough to make anything else and ruin that gravy train. People are excited about "Rush Hour xx", not "The next Chris Tucker" movie.
Old 04-16-07, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
He's not in many movies because he knows he can make 30 million every time New Line farts out a "Rush Hour" sequel. He's not stupid enough to make anything else and ruin that gravy train. People are excited about "Rush Hour xx", not "The next Chris Tucker" movie.
take Chris Tucker out of the next Rush Hour movie and see how much it makes...
Old 04-16-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
OVER THE LINE!
Mark it eight, Dude.

Last edited by jdpatri; 04-17-07 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-17-07, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
take Chris Tucker out of the next Rush Hour movie and see how much it makes...
People hate change.

A better way to make the statment would be:
Replace Chris Tucker in all of the movies, and see how much it makes.
Old 04-18-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the first one was the only good one, should have stopped then
Old 04-18-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by The Bus
Friday is a suburban movie.
He meant "white".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.