DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movies where the EE are worse than the TE (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/479265-movies-where-ee-worse-than-te.html)

doraemon10 09-30-06 07:42 PM

Movies where the EE are worse than the TE

Please list the movies which you feel the extended/unrated/directors cut is worse than the theatrical version, also tell us why.

for me its the 40 year old virgin, it made an already long movie longer, the addiitons didnt add anything either.

Mr. Cinema 09-30-06 08:04 PM

The 40 Year-Old-Virgin.

I think the theatrical has a better flow. With 17! minutes of additional scenes, the movie becomes overkill. There were plenty of jokes in the theatrical. And frankly, I didn't really find the extra content to be that funny. I think comedies should clock in at under 2 hours.

Splitter402 09-30-06 08:10 PM

I dont think I've seen the 40 Year Old Virgin extended cut, but it was long enough already. Movie wasnt that great anyway...

Obligatory Star Wars post.

Mondo Kane 09-30-06 08:12 PM

Battle Royale gets my vote.

waylonsmithers 09-30-06 08:14 PM

agree about 40 year old virgin. I thought the theatrical was too long. The additional footage was overkill.

fryinpan1 09-30-06 08:30 PM

- Star Wars IV, V, VI SEs - I am ok with the minor special effect updates to Star Wars, but the new scenes and major changes are ridiculous.

- Apocalypse Now Redux - the additions are not necessary, add little to the story, and make it way too long

- Alexander Director's Cut - I liked the chronological order presented in the theatrical cut.

- Most of Sony's recent extended cuts just re-insert the deleted scenes, so they are worthless too.

GoldenJCJ 09-30-06 08:51 PM

I agree with Apocalypse Now: Redux ruined the flow of the whole movie and was way too long.

I'll add Superman:The Movie additions were unnecessary and made the film too long.

doraemon10 09-30-06 08:53 PM

I also think the Mallrats EE was worse than the theatrical... The new footage added nothing but run time and it wasnt funny.

I also thought Dances With WOlves EE hurt the pacing of the movie quite a bit, a lot of it seemed like they included it just because they could.

PopcornTreeCt 09-30-06 10:01 PM

Uhh, The 40 Year Old Virgin is ridiculously hilarious either way. The movie was so good I wished it never ended.

The Director's Cut of Legend is pretty horrible.

Supermallet 09-30-06 10:06 PM

The 40-Year Old Virgin EE basically added in conversations, and most of them were hilarious, so no problems there. Some of my favorite stuff was taken out of the theatrical cut.

This will probably be considered blasphemy, but I think the EE of LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring and LOTR: Return of the King pale in comparison to the TE. The EE's, being more tightly paced, have a better sense of urgency. I don't really need to hear Aragorn sing about elves and humans to get that he's torn about Arwen in Fellowship. Also, the ghost sequences in Return of the King EE kill the effect of Aragorn appearing in the Minas Tirith battle, especially since in the TE you don't actually know if the ghosts agreed to join him or not.

There are good added scenes in both EE's, but overall I prefer the TE's. On the other hand, the TE of The Two Towers is to me unwatchable, while the EE would get my vote for best movie of the three in any version.

dugan 09-30-06 10:21 PM

In my opinion, Terminator 2. The second act is too long and flabby, and most of the reinserted scenes a) don't work and b) ruin scenes that come later.

hardercore 09-30-06 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The 40-Year Old Virgin EE basically added in conversations, and most of them were hilarious, so no problems there. Some of my favorite stuff was taken out of the theatrical cut.

This will probably be considered blasphemy, but I think the EE of LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring and LOTR: Return of the King pale in comparison to the TE. The EE's, being more tightly paced, have a better sense of urgency. I don't really need to hear Aragorn sing about elves and humans to get that he's torn about Arwen in Fellowship. Also, the ghost sequences in Return of the King EE kill the effect of Aragorn appearing in the Minas Tirith battle, especially since in the TE you don't actually know if the ghosts agreed to join him or not.

There are good added scenes in both EE's, but overall I prefer the TE's. On the other hand, the TE of The Two Towers is to me unwatchable, while the EE would get my vote for best movie of the three in any version.

While I enjoyed the EEs of Fellowship and Two Towers better than their theatrical versions, the 4-hour cut of Return of the King seemed a little excessive, like too much of a good thing. It was already the longest of the three movies, and if the first two added between 30-40 minutes of footage, I think 25-30 added to Return of the King would have sufficed.

Apone 09-30-06 10:53 PM

The Last of Mohicans, not only extended but re-cut!
Apocalypse Now Redux as already mentioned.
And maybe Gladiator...

Linko 09-30-06 11:40 PM

I guess one of the few I can think is The Last of the Mohicans although it's not a big deal. I'll take extended cuts any time. I prefer them 99% of the time. That goes for Lord of the Rings, Terminator 2, The Abyss, Dances with Wolves, Apocalpyse Now, 40-Year-Old Virgin, The Blues Brothers, Close Encounters, Dune, Halloween, Legend, and just about any unrated version out there.

Although not really extended I hated the Director's Cut of The Butterfly Effect. I also thought the extended cut of Leon: The Professional was better but a few scenes I didn't really like.

Yeti4623 09-30-06 11:41 PM

Only ones I can think of: The Outsiders (mainly the music) and (sort of) Dawn of the Dead remake, and I didn't like the DC ending of The Butterfly Effect.

Supermallet 09-30-06 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Linko
Dune

Ah, good call. Probably the worst extended version ever. So bad the director asked his name to be taken off. :)

Brooklyn 10-01-06 12:21 AM

Kingpin

B.A. 10-01-06 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet

I agree w/ you on RotK.

KFelon 10-01-06 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by doraemon10
I also think the Mallrats EE was worse than the theatrical... The new footage added nothing but run time and it wasnt funny.

Totally have to agree, the deleted footage put back in was just aweful & not even slightly funny.

Also going to have to agree with DUNE, the original cut was the best imo.

wewantflair 10-01-06 01:11 AM

Donnie Darko - the DC adds nothing but aggravation.

meritocracy 10-01-06 01:21 AM

Universal's spectacularly bad extended version of Dune is without question one of the worst possible offenders, but then at least the theatrical release is also available. Mann's Mohicans cut on the other-hand irritates me to no end considering you'll have to go overseas for the original release.

Supermallet 10-01-06 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by wewantflair
Donnie Darko - the DC adds nothing but aggravation.

Oh wow, now this is one where I thought the DC turned a neat cult film into an awesome instant classic.

zombiezilla 10-01-06 04:44 AM

"Dumb & Dumber" suffered greatly due to an extended version, I think. I actually prefer the theatrical cut.

fryinpan1 10-01-06 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
"Dumb & Dumber" suffered greatly due to an extended version, I think. I actually prefer the theatrical cut.

I do not agree that it suffered greatly, but the theatrical cut was better. Most of the new stuff in the extended version was not very funny or not needed.

TheMadMonk 10-01-06 09:18 AM

Amadeus - the Director's Cut is worse than the Theatrical Release (imho). It adds nothing to the film except the running time.