DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Latest Horror DVDs Worth Buying (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/478451-latest-horror-dvds-worth-buying.html)

NYCNetguy 09-22-06 11:37 AM

Latest Horror DVDs Worth Buying

I can barely rememeber the last good horror DVD I bought, maybe Hostel? Any of you guys get anything good lately? I keep debating on Silent Hill...need a horror DVD fix bad!

Bareit 09-22-06 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by NYCNetguy
I can barely rememeber the last good horror DVD I bought, maybe Hostel? Any of you guys get anything good lately? I keep debating on Silent Hill...need a horror DVD fix bad!

If you liked Hostel, you'd probably like The Hills Have Eyes remake. I hated Silent Hill. It's got a cool eerie feel to it but the story, dialog, and acting, to put it mildly, sucks. Defintely rent it first.

What kind of horror do you like? Are you an avid horror fan(e.g. you've seen a lot and would need more obscure recommendations)?

The Reaper 09-22-06 01:48 PM

Silent Hill's a winner....definitely worth checking out.

Are you looking for newer movies or just newest releases of any age?

Ms. M 09-22-06 04:37 PM

I enjoyed Silent Hill, but it definitely isn't for everyone. If you like atmospheric horror, go ahead, but don't expect a totally coherent plot. Also, if you didn't see Slither, give it a try when it comes out in a few weeks.

JesseCuster 09-22-06 07:06 PM

It's not out on DVD yet but The Descent is going to be an instant buy for me.

NewYorkRipper 09-22-06 08:45 PM

I just got Hellbent and thought it was pretty damn good. It's a solid slasher with a gay slant that has a decent amount of character development. The killer is pretty creepy and the kills are setup well.

I vouch for The Hills Have Eyes Remake as well... as far as i'm concerned Alexandre Aja is my favorite current horror director.

jgorow 09-22-06 10:33 PM

I really enjoyed the recent remake of "The Toolbox Murders"

Giles 09-22-06 11:37 PM

next week!! getting in the mail

(Miike's) Imprint
Street Trash
Dust Devil (Final Cut)

got to hold off though and watch them in October and count them on my Horror Film List.

Giles 09-22-06 11:40 PM

as for the few recommendations for 'Silent Hill' my opinion is that it really wasn't that scary - great visuals, good gore effects and at two hours seemed a tad too much. Flawed, yes, but could have been better... by a long shot.

Decapitate Prey 09-24-06 06:35 PM

Sept. 26th has quite a few good releases....

MaK10 09-25-06 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by JesseCuster
It's not out on DVD yet but The Descent is going to be an instant buy for me.

you can already get the region 2 dvd.. 2 disc special edition... i've had it for almost a year now... good shit

Giles 09-25-06 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by MaK10
you can already get the region 2 dvd.. 2 disc special edition... i've had it for almost a year now... good shit

I doubt the region one dvd edtion will have the killer DTS track (included on the Region 2 edition)

alimantri 10-08-06 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Reaper
Silent Hill's a winner....definitely worth checking out.

Are you looking for newer movies or just newest releases of any age?

Really? I thought Silent Hill was pretty weak. I just got the DVD of 28 Days Later, which I know has been out for a while. It's really good. Not the best script, but wonderfully shot and well acted. Great soundtrack also - Grandaddy is on it!

nodeerforamonth 10-08-06 11:09 PM

Loved Hostel. Loved it!

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 comes out Tuesday!