Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney's Jungle Cruise (2021, D: Collet-Serra) S: Dwayne Johnson, Emily Blunt

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney's Jungle Cruise (2021, D: Collet-Serra) S: Dwayne Johnson, Emily Blunt

Old 01-30-18, 11:25 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts
re: Disney's Jungle Cruise (2021, D: Collet-Serra) S: Dwayne Johnson, Emily Blunt

Emily Blunt to Star With Dwayne Johnson in Disney’s ‘Jungle Cruise’
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/em...se-1202645108/
Old 01-30-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Disney's Jungle Cruise (2021, D: Collet-Serra) S: Dwayne Johnson, Emily Blunt

Well now I have to watch it.
Old 03-26-18, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

‘Jungle Cruise’ Taps British Comedian Jack Whitehall to Star With Dwayne Johnson (EXCLUSIVE)
By Justin Kroll @krolljvar

Rising British comedian and actor Jack Whitehall will join Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt in Disney’s “The Jungle Cruise,” sources tell Variety.

Whitehall will play Blunt’s brother in the film — a key role in the storyline.

Jaume Collet-Serra is on board to direct the movie based on the classic theme park attraction, which operates in several Disney Parks across the globe and takes guests on a guided tour through the rivers of the world. Oscar nominee Michael Green (“Logan”) penned the most recent draft of the script. He rewrote a screenplay by J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay.

Disney plans to develop the film as a possible franchise in the vein of its billion-dollar “Pirates of the Caribbean” series.

John Davis and John Fox will produce via Davis Entertainment; Beau Flynn will produce with his FlynnPictureCo. banner; and Johnson, Dany Garcia, and Hiram Garcia will produce through Seven Bucks Productions. Scott Sheldon is co-producing the movie, which is slated to go into production in May.

Whitehall is a stand-up comedian who created and starred in the hit British sitcom “Bad Education,” which went on to become a feature film. Whitehall also appeared in Garry Marshall’s “Mother’s Day” and has a role in Disney’s upcoming “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms,” directed by Lasse Hallstrom. His stand-up special “Jack Whitehall: At Large” is currently streaming on Netflix. He’s also in production on the Amazon mini-series “Good Omens” and the Netflix series “Travels With My Father” which is also in production. Whitehall is repped by CAA.

Seven Bucks is hot off the heels of its biggest hit to date, “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle,” which starred Johnson, and was produced by Garcia and Johnson. The movie has grossed almost $1 billion worldwide, including $401.7 million at the domestic box office. Flynn, Johnson, Garcia, and Garcia most recently collaborated on “Rampage” for WB/New Line and “Skyscraper” for Universal. “Rampage” opens on April 13 while “Skyscraper” bows on July 13.
Old 04-19-18, 01:21 PM

Jesse Plemons Lands Villain Role Opposite Dwayne Johnson in Disney’s ‘Jungle Cruise’ (EXCLUSIVE)
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/je...se-1202757276/

Edgar Ramirez Joins Dwayne Johnson’s ‘Jungle Cruise’
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/ed...se-1202757288/
Old 04-20-18, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts

It will be interesting to see how they distinguish this from Jumanji especially after seeing how successful that was. And when is the sequel going to be released for that one? Seems like they could be easily confused.

But this could be an awesome movie especially if they incorporate the Disney S.E.A.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/story...d-adventurers/
Old 05-08-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Looks like Johnson is about to start work on this movie.

Old 05-08-18, 11:01 AM

Who is taking the picture?!?!
Old 05-08-18, 11:04 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

so wtf is this about?
Old 05-08-18, 11:11 AM

A cruise in the jungle.

"Johnson will play a boat captain who takes his sister (Blunt) and her brother (Whitehall) on a mission to find a tree believed to possess healing powers. Wild animals and a competing German expedition figure into the proceedings."
Old 05-08-18, 11:13 AM

I don't think it was noted yet, but Paul Giamatti joined the cast too:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...cruise-1099013
Old 05-08-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Looks like a watermark at the bottom of the photo.
Old 05-08-18, 12:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

A cruise in the jungle.

"Johnson will play a boat captain who takes his sister (Blunt) and her brother (Whitehall) on a mission to find a tree believed to possess healing powers. Wild animals and a competing German expedition figure into the proceedings."
oh, ok, never seen one of those movies before
Old 05-08-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

My daughter was so confused when she saw the preview for Rampage--"Why is he wearing the same clothes from Jumanji again?" Pretty sure he'll be wearing something similar again.

The Rock is a character--he always talks about how "special" this project or that project is. Dude is a master marketer, although I thought Baywatch and Rampage would both hit bigger than they did.
Old 05-08-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't think it was noted yet, but Paul Giamatti joined the cast too:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...cruise-1099013
Now I'm totally in!
Old 05-09-18, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It’s easy for your Instagram to look so cool if you have professional photographers following you around everywhere.

...not that I’d look that cool even if I did
Old 05-09-18, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bet Disney is really banking on this one and pulling out all the stops. They need a new franchise now that Pirates OTC is basically sunk with its terrible BO performance last year and it’s franchise star going off the deep end. If anyone could pull it off it’d be the Rock.
Old 05-09-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I bet Disney is really banking on this one and pulling out all the stops. They need a new franchise now that Pirates OTC is basically sunk with its terrible BO performance last year and it’s franchise star going off the deep end. If anyone could pull it off it’d be the Rock.
It made nearly 800 million not including home video/streaming/cable dollars...so even though it is one of the most expensive movies to produce (230 million + P&A) it was not a complete debacle for Disney. WB would have loved for Justice League to be a POTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales type box office disaster.

I did not see it in theaters but I did watch it in UHD (bought the 4K during BBs Black Friday sales) and it was actually a fun film that did look gorgeous in UHD.

Anyway, regarding The Jungle Cruise I am looking forward to seeing the film because even though it has been a ridiculous amount of time since I last went on the Jungle Cruise I have fond memories of the ride.

Also, the last time I went on the ride the cruise guide was allowed to fire a gun loaded with blanks...so cool, and like the changes made to the POTC ride it makes me sad that the modern generation of Disney goers will not get to experience the authentic Jungle Cruise experience.

I caught the tale end of a news item on EW radio that Dwayne Johnson wants a one million bonus if a studio wants him to use his social media popularity to help sell the film he stars in. As Dalton said it will be interesting to see who is able to get away with this demand considering that The Rock is indeed popular on social media and also someone you want to see in theaters.

I can see a lot of actors trying to be as arrogant as The Rock but falling short in their quest to squeeze another million out of the studios for their paycheck on a film. Lots of folks like the Kardashians are hyper popular on social media but would fail to put asses in seats if they were in a film...The Rock has just enough hits to convince the studio that his social media prowess also translates to convincing folks to actually buy a ticket to see a film on opening weekend.

It really is arrogant of The Rock to demand an additional million because the hype surrounding a film does not always translate into box office success. I cannot help but remember all the hype at the San Diego Comic Con surrounding Snakes On A Plane and when the film was officially released cue the sad trombone noise...studios have been burned by stars getting the public hyped to see a film only to discover that a very vocal minority of folks on-line made enough noise to fool the studio into thinking that holy cow their mid-budget film is going to be the surprise hit of summer.

I also think that Serenity was a victim of the tempest in a tea pot that made it seem like there a ton of fans chomping at the bit to see the film in theaters. It went on to become a massive home video hit, but there is no denying that the hype surrounding Serenity did almost less than nothing to help it succeed in theaters.

I wish The Rock the best of luck in actually getting studios to pony up that extra million.
Old 05-09-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 386 Likes on 276 Posts

this is one of the rides I tend to skip more often than not. I get to Disney every 2-4 years and this ride is lame.... Rampage does nothing for me (as do most of his movies) so I doubt I will see this one, especially in theaters. The Rock seems like a decent guy with a good sense of humor but overall I'm not a fan of his work. I wonder if the 1 million for social media posts story will get out and come back to haunt him...
Old 07-10-18, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

The studio made a slew of other changes to its calendar, including announcing that Dwayne Johnson-starrer Jungle Cruise will open in theaters on Oct. 11, 2019...
Old 07-10-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is one ugly date. This has Aug. written all over it.
Old 07-10-18, 07:56 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
That is one ugly date. This has Aug. written all over it.
People used to say that when the movie was a stinker. But August is pretty strong these days.
Old 07-10-18, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
People used to say that when the movie was a stinker. But August is pretty strong these days.
I think that’s the point he was trying to make.... that this seems much more like a late summer release than a fall.
Old 07-31-18, 12:48 PM

<iframe width="725" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D-io9u0Ac6I" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-01-18, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I caught the tale end of a news item on EW radio that Dwayne Johnson wants a one million bonus if a studio wants him to use his social media popularity to help sell the film he stars in. As Dalton said it will be interesting to see who is able to get away with this demand considering that The Rock is indeed popular on social media and also someone you want to see in theaters.

I can see a lot of actors trying to be as arrogant as The Rock but falling short in their quest to squeeze another million out of the studios for their paycheck on a film. Lots of folks like the Kardashians are hyper popular on social media but would fail to put asses in seats if they were in a film...The Rock has just enough hits to convince the studio that his social media prowess also translates to convincing folks to actually buy a ticket to see a film on opening weekend.
$1M is a pittance compared to the whole budget. Doesn't it cost about that much to run a 30 second ad ONCE during primetime TV? A Super Bowl ad is about $5M now to air just once. For $1M, you make your star happy and he will happily tweet, Instagram and Facebook all day directly to his fans.
Old 08-01-18, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

I wonder how long the Jungle Cruise shoot is going to be if they just started filming. Usually these films shoot at least 3 months or so. Johnson claimed that he was going to jump into Hobbs and Shaw in September. I don't know about that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.