DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Trailer for Frank Miller's 300 (Zak Snyder, 03/07) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/478343-trailer-frank-millers-300-zak-snyder-03-07-a.html)

Cosmic Bus 09-21-06 10:22 AM

Trailer for Frank Miller's 300 (Zak Snyder, 03/07)

http://mftm.blogspot.com/2006/09/300...ler-scoop.html

Ehhh... I'm not entirely feeling this. The endless bluescreened backdrops are awkward and obvious (work in progress?) and the it largely comes off like an expensive music video. I'm also hoping the slo-mo effects were added for the trailer and won't actually be in the movie.

GIjon213 09-21-06 10:40 AM

I don't get it, is this about the Battle of Thermopylae with Arabian nights thrown in? It looked like there was a funky guy with swords for hands, a giant, and some other weird creatures.

matrixrok9 09-21-06 11:13 AM

Thanks for the link.

You're right, too much blue screen ala latest Star Wars flicks. It looks like the action scenes could be cool though, especially when the Spartans put their defense up!!

Must have faith in Snyder.

fryinpan1 09-21-06 11:14 AM

I think it looks good. I love that Nine Inch Nails song they used in the trailer. I have never read the graphic novel, but I ordered it last week.

enrage 09-21-06 11:28 AM

Looks good. Makes me wanna run out and watch it. but i like movies like that anyway

redrum 09-21-06 12:19 PM

wow. looks awesome.

treszoks 09-21-06 12:23 PM

Looks pretty cool to me.

RyoHazuki 09-21-06 02:29 PM

Looks awesome. Zack Snyder suprised the hell out of me with the Dawn of the Dead remake, hence I've been looking forward to this one for a while. I hope this trailer runs with All the Kings Men so I can see it on the big screen.

ytrez 09-21-06 02:35 PM

I read Miller's book and there's a lot in there that I don't remember, but still, it looks good.

B.A. 09-21-06 03:57 PM

It already looks badass, but I'm sure it will look a lot better once it's released next spring.
Now I want to see what he is going to do w/ Rainbow Six, if he is still attached.

Jam Master Jay 09-21-06 04:06 PM

Holy shit, that looks bad ass!

Artman 09-21-06 05:55 PM

The effects are stylized much like Sin City, which I really liked. This one's high on my can't-wait-for list.

PopcornTreeCt 09-21-06 10:55 PM

Ugh. Looks about as terrible as Sin City was great. Who the hell was that guy doing a horrible Russell Crowe impression? Dialogue seemed pretty amateur like they were saying the same words over and over again. The effects made it look like I was watching a video game. While I do appreciate a break from seeing period epics all look like Ridley Scott directed them, this just doesn't work for me. Hopefully, this movie will look better when it comes out.

RichC2 09-21-06 11:20 PM

Looks extremely entertaining.

That said, it also looks like a movie version of God of War.

Dash 09-21-06 11:22 PM

Looks like it would be pretty cool to me. Plus I seem to like most things Spartan.

supfool! 09-21-06 11:39 PM

Yeah, this looks quite awesome, except the jumping acrobatic stabbing moves they're doing throughout the trailer. But I'll still go see it. Makes me want to read the novel too.

fumanstan 09-22-06 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by supfool!
Yeah, this looks quite awesome, except the jumping acrobatic stabbing moves they're doing throughout the trailer. But I'll still go see it. Makes me want to read the novel too.

That move reminded me of Brad Pitt in Troy.

Movie looks interesting; i've never even heard of it/the comic until all the fuss at Comic Con.

RyoHazuki 09-22-06 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Ugh. Looks about as terrible as Sin City was great. Who the hell was that guy doing a horrible Russell Crowe impression? Dialogue seemed pretty amateur like they were saying the same words over and over again. The effects made it look like I was watching a video game. While I do appreciate a break from seeing period epics all look like Ridley Scott directed them, this just doesn't work for me. Hopefully, this movie will look better when it comes out.

You dislike the dialouge in the trailer but love Sin City? Hmm.

Eric D. 09-22-06 04:50 AM

I'm willing to give this a shot even though it's not the type of movie that I typically go see. I liked what Snyder did with Dawn '04, so he may surprise me yet again with this. Plus Miller rocks.

Tuan Jim 09-22-06 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That move reminded me of Brad Pitt in Troy.

Movie looks interesting; i've never even heard of it/the comic until all the fuss at Comic Con.

This is the first I've heard of the movie -- barring some odd rumors years ago. I picked up all the original comics back my freshmen year in college ('98). Good stuff - 6 issue mini-series. I wonder if they're staying as graphically realistic in the movie (NC-17 for nudity?).

PopcornTreeCt 09-22-06 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
You dislike the dialouge in the trailer but love Sin City? Hmm.

Yeah, I'm surprised it was written by the same person. The dialogue in Sin City is amazing. In the trailer, the dialogue isn't stylized or anything.

RyoHazuki 09-22-06 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The dialogue in Sin City is amazing.

rotfl

FantasticVSDoom 09-22-06 09:32 PM

Ive been waiting for this one...Loved the graphic novel, so Ill be there opening night. The tralier was not working though.

fryinpan1 09-23-06 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Ive been waiting for this one...Loved the graphic novel, so Ill be there opening night. The tralier was not working though.

Not the best quality, but the trailer is available on Youtube.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jBqm7ZKAC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lRAUQrQAaM

whotony 09-24-06 06:25 PM

i know its based on the graphic novel but isnt this a retelling of another movie.

300 Spartans